The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What do people do over the summer? :beard: There's a rowing club local to me but I think they do mostly sea rowing which I guess is quite different :p:.
Reply 41
Mithra
What do people do over the summer? :beard: There's a rowing club local to me but I think they do mostly sea rowing which I guess is quite different :p:.

I'm lucky in the fact there's a rowing club about a mile away from me. Tiday rowing would be quite good I imagine, I know someone in the first's team who only did that before he came to university but ended up going straight onto the first's team. Every little helps I guess.

I think there are also summer camps and summer schools but they cost :p:
Reply 42
I will hopefully be in the Middle East, so no rowing for me next year :emo:
One girl of my crew got replace by a moany bitch, I'm slightly annoyed. And instead of doing 3 outings today I did only one because our idiotic cox decided she couldn't be arsed coming so the outing for my boat was cancelled, and I let one of the girls have my second outing so that I wouldn't be the only one training.

My arm is absolutely killing me, though, we did pausing exercises with square blades and on an icy canal. Needless to say you have to tap down :rofl:
Hi everyone, I row too. Trying to work my way into our 2nd boat for head of the river/summer etc but it will be hard! Sometimes I wonder why I bother but tbh I just like the atmosphere at the boat club. After rowing other sports seem so much easier too...
Reply 44
partoftheweekend
Hi everyone, I row too. Trying to work my way into our 2nd boat for head of the river/summer etc but it will be hard! Sometimes I wonder why I bother but tbh I just like the atmosphere at the boat club. After rowing other sports seem so much easier too...

I knooow! You feel like you never knew what pain was before you started rowing, it's not just physical pain, it's like you have to keep ignoring your arms and legs aching and push your mind to force your body carrying on rowing during a race. Am I the only one wondering why on earth I row, when in a race, and then just wanting to do it again?
Reply 45
12 days until my next race :eek: As soon as this exam's over (i.e. tomorrow :p:) I will need to start doing more at the gym. Much, much more. Eek.
Reply 46
Jessaay!
12 days until my next race :eek: As soon as this exam's over (i.e. tomorrow :p:) I will need to start doing more at the gym. Much, much more. Eek.

5 for me. Going to the gym now :emo:
Reply 47
Anatheme
5 for me. Going to the gym now :emo:

I quite like the gym :colondollar: it makes me feel good. Especially when I see people struggling compared to me. I swear, it took a guy who looked quite muscular but clearly wasn't a rower 7 minutes 30 to do a 1k the other day, and I was there like yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, I'm winning. His technique was terrible, but I was still impressed with myself.

I think I'm a bit too competitive. :colondollar:

Plus, considering most of my rowing club are at the same gym, sometimes it turns into a social ocassion :p:
Reply 48
Jessaay!
I quite like the gym :colondollar: it makes me feel good. Especially when I see people struggling compared to me. I swear, it took a guy who looked quite muscular but clearly wasn't a rower 7 minutes 30 to do a 1k the other day, and I was there like yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, I'm winning. His technique was terrible, but I was still impressed with myself.

Plus, considering most of my rowing club are at the same gym, sometimes it turns into a social ocassion :p:

Haha, yeah. I hope there will be an erg left when I arrive, though :erm:
We have to do 3x20min rate 24 (I'll do that tomorrow), and today I'm gonna do 5x750m rate 28, I wonder if I'll manage it, haha.
Reply 49
Jessaay!

7 mins 30 :lolwut:.

We really need to do more ergo-ing. I don't know if the college gym has any (don't have a key) and we are only allowed on the boathouse ones on scheduled things (of which we have had none this term).
Reply 50
Mithra
7 mins 30 :lolwut:.

We really need to do more ergo-ing. I don't know if the college gym has any (don't have a key) and we are only allowed on the boathouse ones on scheduled things (of which we have had none this term).

Is there no gym in Durham that has ergs?
I was gonna say 7:30's a really good time before I realised it was 1k and not 2 :rofl:
Reply 51
Anatheme
I was gonna say 7:30's a really good time before I realised it was 1k and not 2 :rofl:

There might be a whole Durham uni gym but I don't think so (though you'd think there would be :beard:).

I refuse to pay to go to the public one though :p:.

On the plus side, I think we are getting new boats tomorrow! (or at least fixed ones) :woo: :woo:
I am contemplating becoming a cox.
Reply 53
Anatheme

7:30 is terrible :p: especially for his size, if he'd have done it properly he'd have easily beaten me. The thing is he got off it with a satisfied look on his face, I was just thinking, mate, you just got owned by a 5 foot 6, 8 and a half stone girl :p:

If I got 7:30 on a 2k though I'd be thrilled :frown:
Mithra
There might be a whole Durham uni gym but I don't think so (though you'd think there would be :beard:).

I refuse to pay to go to the public one though :p:.

On the plus side, I think we are getting new boats tomorrow! (or at least fixed ones) :woo: :woo:

Yo it does exist. http://www.teamdurham.com/fitnesssupport/fitnesssuite/

Not sure where it is though or if its restricted to high performance clubs.
Reply 55
Phalanges
I am contemplating becoming a cox.

If you're serious, go for it (I'm only skeptical because of the previous attitudes you've expressed towards rowing :p:). If I don't make the team next year, I will be doing that. I may even do it if I make the team, some people do both and I'm the right size for that too tbh. I enjoy shouting at people and know all the lingo.
Jessaay!
If you're serious, go for it (I'm only skeptical because of the previous attitudes you've expressed towards rowing :p:). If I don't make the team next year, I will be doing that. I may even do it if I make the team, some people do both and I'm the right size for that too tbh. I enjoy shouting at people and know all the lingo.

First rule of any sport: slag it off mercilessly until you take it up, at which point defend it to the hilt. :fyi:

I am pretty tempted because tbh it just looks like the easiest and most important part of rowing which would suit me. :p: I'm a little bit wary though because I went to this induction talk and listened to an hour and a half of every possible command we could ever possibly need to use, and none of it went in - so I dare say I'd crash a boat if I tried to cox one.
Reply 57
Phalanges
First rule of any sport: slag it off mercilessly until you take it up, at which point defend it to the hilt. :fyi:

I am pretty tempted because tbh it just looks like the easiest and most important part of rowing which would suit me. :p: I'm a little bit wary though because I went to this induction talk and listened to an hour and a half of every possible command we could ever possibly need to use, and none of it went in - so I dare say I'd crash a boat if I tried to cox one.

Just remember to tell bow and 2 to take a tap/stroke if you're veering off into some random direction. I think that's pretty much the only coxing rule anyone ever needs to remember. It annoys the hell out of us as well which is also a bonus (I row at 2, so I always get shouted at). Not sure about oxford but I've heard the rivers in cambridge are an absolute nightmare to cox, good luck with that.

Also, be warned, it's a tradition to throw the cox in the water if you win a race :wink:
Jessaay!
7:30 is terrible :p: especially for his size, if he'd have done it properly he'd have easily beaten me. The thing is he got off it with a satisfied look on his face, I was just thinking, mate, you just got owned by a 5 foot 6, 8 and a half stone girl :p:

If I got 7:30 on a 2k though I'd be thrilled :frown:

Maybe he just finished a sub 6min 2k and a heavy weights session and was warming down :smile:
Reply 59
partoftheweekend
Maybe he just finished a sub 6min 2k and a heavy weights session and was warming down :smile:

Perhaps he did, but it looked like he was kinda new to the dreaded ergs.

Don't blow out my candle though, it was a nice ego boost :frown: :p:

Quick Reply

Latest