The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Jessaay!
Perhaps he did, but it looked like he was kinda new to the dreaded ergs.

Don't blow out my candle though, it was a nice ego boost :frown: :p:

Im joking :P Most people at gyms have no idea about how to work their power efficiently into the ergs. Makes me feel better too when im rating 18 and going faster than someone at 30.

If you cox, dont let them force you to cox the novices at the start of the year. You end up wasting sooo much of your weekend doing just a couple outings with unorganised crews.
Reply 61
I managed to do 3x750m (instead of 5x750m) keeping the same split/time and rate (well, we were meant to be at rate 28, but I ended up at rate 30 'cause I can't keep my split low, otherwise… ), so I did:

1st 750m
Average split: 1.56
Time: 2.56.5

2nd 750m
Average split: 1.57
Time: 2.56.3

3rd 750m
Average split: 1.58
Time: 2.57.0

And then I collapsed, haha, I'm still shaking from my session at 5pm…
Keep it up! its good that you kept the splits even too. If you cant keep the splits up for the last reps just do them anyway at a lower pace for the training effect. Plus it'll help you get used to not handling down, which is horrible in tests :frown:

Today I did some sculling and circuits. Fun fun.
Reply 63
partoftheweekend
Keep it up! its good that you kept the splits even too. If you cant keep the splits up for the last reps just do them anyway at a lower pace for the training effect. Plus it'll help you get used to not handling down, which is horrible in tests :frown:

Today I did some sculling and circuits. Fun fun.

If I try it today it should be alright, it's just that it was a bit too much for yesterday. I need to go to the gym before circuits, though, 'cause if it's running circuits, there's no way I'm gonna be able to follow the pace, haha.

I tried sculling (by myself), but I found it really boring, and still have some scars on my hands from rolling the blades one over the other, I think I'll stick to sweeping, it's much much more enjoyable :holmes:. I'd like to try in two and four, though, especially four, it looks a tad easier.
Reply 64
I am crapping myself sooo badly for tomorrow. Ugh. Peterborough BUCS, we have to leave Manchester at 4:45am, this is gonna be paaaaainful! I don't think I'm even remotely excited for anything apart from the part when we'll be done with our race. :emo:
Reply 65
Ooooh another Rowing thread.

Yep I've rowed for nearly 6 years now, started as a college rower at Durham, and now I row with the senior men at Tyne RC, and I coach the Novice Squad there too (having completely my ARA Level 2 qualification last year).

My life pretty much revolves around rowing, to the point where I calculated I spend approximately 21-25 hours a week at the rowing club.

Gotta love it!

Oh and some people mentioned Tyne Head - good luck! I'm racing in IM3 8+ in the afternoon, and in the morning will likely be one of those annoying people screaming at you to get boated on time. Last time I was doing safety checks and the number of coxes who I had to say "Err, where's your lifejacket?" to was far too many!!

PS. Going to Bristol Uni in Sept to do a PGCE so hoping to do a bit of coaching there maybe if anyone else is going there/already there :smile:
Reply 66
Anatheme
I am crapping myself sooo badly for tomorrow. Ugh. Peterborough BUCS, we have to leave Manchester at 4:45am, this is gonna be paaaaainful! I don't think I'm even remotely excited for anything apart from the part when we'll be done with our race. :emo:

Good luck! I'm really excited for the heads but really scared too.
Can someone going to BUCS post some results up here asap when they come out :biggrin: Mainly M8+

ty!
Reply 68
dobbs
Ooooh another Rowing thread.

Yep I've rowed for nearly 6 years now, started as a college rower at Durham, and now I row with the senior men at Tyne RC, and I coach the Novice Squad there too (having completely my ARA Level 2 qualification last year).

My life pretty much revolves around rowing, to the point where I calculated I spend approximately 21-25 hours a week at the rowing club.

Gotta love it!

Oh and some people mentioned Tyne Head - good luck! I'm racing in IM3 8+ in the afternoon, and in the morning will likely be one of those annoying people screaming at you to get boated on time. Last time I was doing safety checks and the number of coxes who I had to say "Err, where's your lifejacket?" to was far too many!!

PS. Going to Bristol Uni in Sept to do a PGCE so hoping to do a bit of coaching there maybe if anyone else is going there/already there :smile:

Comment from my coaches yesterday: "If you here anyone shouting at you to move your boat or do anything, **** them, it's not your problem, it's your cox's problem. Don't listen to them" :colondollar:.

I'm trying to think of food I can bring tomorrow, apart from my 6 packets of biscuits :holmes:
Reply 69
Anatheme
Comment from my coaches yesterday: "If you here anyone shouting at you to move your boat or do anything, **** them, it's not your problem, it's your cox's problem. Don't listen to them" :colondollar:.

I'm trying to think of food I can bring tomorrow, apart from my 6 packets of biscuits :holmes:

Malt loaf. A sandwich. Something to share out always goes down well :p:
Reply 70
Jessaay!

I have sandwich and salads on my list, bananas and apples too. I am ******** myself, urgh.
What boats are you all racing in tomorrow at Peterborough??
Im not racing till Sunday but some of our freshers are racing tomorrow :smile:
Reply 72
Jessaay!

Urgh, I feel like I'm the only rower who dislikes malt loaf!!

Prefer to have a nice pasta tub or something, yum. Bacon sandwiches always go down well too, though aren't exactly ideal ha.

Good luck at BUCS tomorrow, I know most of the Northumbria Uni lot as their senior men row with us, so I'm afraid if you come up against them I will have to support them over all of you :p:

But good luck otherwise! :smile:
Reply 73
jeltringham
What boats are you all racing in tomorrow at Peterborough??
Im not racing till Sunday but some of our freshers are racing tomorrow :smile:

Manchester University second female boat :ninja:
Anatheme

8 or 4?? Is that tomorrow?
Reply 75
jeltringham
8 or 4?? Is that tomorrow?

VIII (we only have 3 VIIIs for novices) and yeah, it's tomorrow from 2:30pm, I think?
Reply 76
Anatheme

You row for Manchester Uni BC? I know someone who rows there, though she's at Manchester Met, but they don't have a rowing club so she joined Manchester Uni BC instead :smile:
Anatheme

I tried sculling (by myself), but I found it really boring, and still have some scars on my hands from rolling the blades one over the other, I think I'll stick to sweeping, it's much much more enjoyable :holmes:. I'd like to try in two and four, though, especially four, it looks a tad easier.

Really? I've only ever sculled for about an hour at our club training camp, but I really liked it - it was nice to be able to just concentrate on what I was doing, and not anyone else. I've done a bit in 4s and they're just harder to sit.

Also, anyone at Cambridge and doing bumps next week? I'm starting to get massively excited... :woo:
Argh 7 water outings in 4 days including a race. Shattered.

edit: and sculling is soooo much better/more fun than erging if you want to do UT2.
Reply 79
Had an hour's sleep, got up at 6am, first outing at 8am in fours for an hour, then another outing at 9:30 for an hour and a half where we were doing the course of the heads race which is on SATURDAY and not sunday as I thought. Argh. That actually makes me more nervous for it now, i was calmer before!

Quick Reply