Scroll to see replies

Original post by partoftheweekend
bucs head anyone!?

We were there! Which division?

Gutted about the weather!!
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
We were there! Which division?

Gutted about the weather!!

I raced on Sunday in the PM division. Weather was pretty decent though for us.

I really wasnt looking forward to it when the times for Saturday came out, lots of crews taking 15+ minutes to do 2.5k. Doing 4.5k in those conditions would've been absolute hell. Race went ok though!

dobbs

Not sure who they are but what does that prove? I know people who could sit on an erg and pull incredible times because they were built like a house, but when they got in a boat they made themselves look like a donkey having a seizure and couldn't do anything.

Obviously I'm not saying the people in the video are not good rowers, I'm sure they are, it's just that don't always take "Oooh a room of well built men erging" to mean "People who can move a boat fast"

It's Univ of Washington, the fastest varsity crew in the states at the moment. The front line is a group of Canadian HWT Olympic guys and it goes back to V, 2V, fresh etc at the back.

Was just illustrating the fact that these squads can not only afford to get 50+ new concept 2's but also fill them with 50 pretty big guys! Id love to hear the actual sound from the video, all those flywheels going off at once would sound pretty sick. The atmosphere for training must be spot on.

With regards to erging and being actually good at rowing. You're right there are lots of people who are big and strong and pull ergs but then would fall in within 5 minutes in a single. But then again I don't know anyone who I'd consider really good at rowing that doesn't have a strong erg to match.
Reply 1062
Washington were the lot who won the Temple a couple of years ago, weren't they? I think it was 2010. I'm sure I remember them absolutely spanking everyone they raced against that year.

It's ridiculous how much funding US unis get.

Original post by dobbs
It's palatinate, not lavender :P

And I'm quite sure Durham stomps all over Newcastle on a regular basis...unless you meant Northumbria...in which case, Durham DESTROYS Northumbria...always! :wink:

Maybe back in your day, when the Earth was still considered to be flat, haha. I kid. But the tides turned over the last few years.

Nobody likes Scumbria, the only thing they're good at is getting destroyed.

It's still lavender.
Anyone got any advice for pulling a good 2k? Where should I put in power sets? when should I start the final sprint etc?
Anyone got any advice for pulling a good 2k? Where should I put in power sets? when should I start the final sprint etc?

I usually put power sets at 800 and 500, and start the final sprint around 100-150
Original post by zigzog7
I usually put power sets at 800 and 500, and start the final sprint around 100-150

Thanks, I'll try that :smile:
We're told to start the final sprint at 400, and I always end up exhausting myself and it doesn't feel like its the most efficient way of finishing a 2k.
We're told to start the final sprint at 400, and I always end up exhausting myself and it doesn't feel like its the most efficient way of finishing a 2k.

depends what you mean by sprint, I go absolutely hell for leather for the last few strokes, some people up the rate for the last few hundred m
Reply 1067

I would say somewhere between the two - around 250m would be best, that's quite a common 'short sprint' that you should be practising anyway (e.g. regular 8 x 250m sets) so should set you up well for the final section in a 2000m.

Also 250m = roughly 25 strokes so if you imagine in a 2k race on the water you'd be looking to really wind it up around then too. Last 150m is 10-15 strokes, which is far too late to be sprinting. Even going hell for leather isn't going to make a massive difference, you need to be starting earlier than that.

400m is a bit far, but not too bad. I would recommend that over last 100m.

Original post by Tabris

Maybe back in your day, when the Earth was still considered to be flat, haha. I kid. But the tides turned over the last few years.

Nobody likes Scumbria, the only thing they're good at is getting destroyed.

It's still lavender.

Haha no it hasn't turned, Newcastle always beat Durham at a few events but generally overall Durham would come out on top (look at BUCS rankings, HoRR, WHoRR, Henley) - though granted as I say there are the odd event where Newcastle won (e.g. WHoRR a couple of years ago I seem to recall Newcastle put in an immense performance).

And it's palatinate. Saying it's lavender just makes you sound bitter about Durham, so you're picking on their colour :wink:

ith regards to erging and being actually good at rowing. You're right there are lots of people who are big and strong and pull ergs but then would fall in within 5 minutes in a single. But then again I don't know anyone who I'd consider really good at rowing that doesn't have a strong erg to match.

Ahh fair enough, yes I must admit I did admire the fact that there were a huge number of ergs and all filled by huge men going at the same rate (except at one point you see a guy at the back completely out of time ha). I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss my regular erging sessions with the guys at Tyne - now I only do it alone and they are so tough :frown:

Also yes - agreed good erger does not equal good on the water; but good on the water does equal good erger :biggrin:

http://highperformancerowing.net/journal/2011/12/12/the-2000m-ergometer-test.html

i found this really helpful...

2k is pain...
Reply 1069
Original post by dobbs

Which college are you at now? Are you rowing for them?

Also - first time out on the tideway. Lots of fun.
Reply 1070
Original post by SimonM

None, I'm now a teacher in Cambridge and doing an MEd at Cambridge University (Homerton College) but rowing for a local club here.
Original post by SimonM

I did a 28k outing on there today, might have seen you about!

Where did you boat out of?

I think there are a few ways of approaching it. But basically fast start (you get a few free strokes where you can really smash it at the beginning), settle for the middle 1k, and then fast finish. Ideally if you're aiming for say 8 minutes you'll want to do something like 1:59, 2:01, 2:01, 1:59 for your 500m splits. The closer you can get to evening them out the more efficient it'll be.

I usually start taking my split down at the 500m to go and really sprint at 250 to go. By sprint I mean quarter slide thrashing about like a retard and trying to cling on for dear life.

I do a number of things with alternating the pacing on my 2ks and other hard ergs but its more to keep my brain distracted instead of to gain a lot of speed.
I think there are a few ways of approaching it. But basically fast start (you get a few free strokes where you can really smash it at the beginning), settle for the middle 1k, and then fast finish. Ideally if you're aiming for say 8 minutes you'll want to do something like 1:59, 2:01, 2:01, 1:59 for your 500m splits. The closer you can get to evening them out the more efficient it'll be.

I usually start taking my split down at the 500m to go and really sprint at 250 to go. By sprint I mean quarter slide thrashing about like a retard and trying to cling on for dear life.

I do a number of things with alternating the pacing on my 2ks and other hard ergs but its more to keep my brain distracted instead of to gain a lot of speed.

Helpful as usual! I don't know if I've messaged you since I changed my username on here, but I had a training blog over the summer and just thought you'd like to know that I've broken 7 minutes now, currently at 6:55.9 (November), not done a 2k since as i'm really struggling with mental barriers on my 5ks.

Anyone at Head of the Trent today? The first 3k went sooooooo slowly!? But we did the last 3k 2 minutes faster than the first, all at rate 32.5-33.5 so the coach is happy!
Reply 1074
Original post by dobbs
Haha no it hasn't turned, Newcastle always beat Durham at a few events but generally overall Durham would come out on top (look at BUCS rankings, HoRR, WHoRR, Henley) - though granted as I say there are the odd event where Newcastle won (e.g. WHoRR a couple of years ago I seem to recall Newcastle put in an immense performance).

And it's palatinate. Saying it's lavender just makes you sound bitter about Durham, so you're picking on their colour :wink:

Bah, that's only because Durham sends out an absolutely massive armada of boats at BUCS. Our top boats have been handing you a good old fashioned blue star spanking in some events.

Spoiler

Not going to lie either, talking about rowing makes me want to pick it back up, almost... but there's no way it'd fit in with having to care for both my mother and step-father, full-time. One day, maybe.
Reply 1075
Original post by Tabris
Bah, that's only because Durham sends out an absolutely massive armada of boats at BUCS. Our top boats have been handing you a good old fashioned blue star spanking in some events.

Spoiler

Not going to lie either, talking about rowing makes me want to pick it back up, almost... but there's no way it'd fit in with having to care for both my mother and step-father, full-time. One day, maybe.

Lavender is a lovely colour. However it's not Durham's colour :wink: Though don't worry, we all love the Newcastle Blue Triangle logo too :biggrin:

And yeah, I am rowing sort of once a fortnight now, it's just impossible to find time now I'm in my first year of teaching, I seriously hope that I can do plenty over the summer and then next year have a lot more free time. We'll see :frown:
Original post by dobbs
Lavender is a lovely colour. However it's not Durham's colour :wink: Though don't worry, we all love the Newcastle Blue Triangle logo too :biggrin:

And yeah, I am rowing sort of once a fortnight now, it's just impossible to find time now I'm in my first year of teaching, I seriously hope that I can do plenty over the summer and then next year have a lot more free time. We'll see :frown:

Have you got your coaching certificates? Could you get one of those cushty part rowing coaching/part teaching jobs at the private schools.
Reply 1077
Have you got your coaching certificates? Could you get one of those cushty part rowing coaching/part teaching jobs at the private schools.

I do but I'm happy at the school I'm at for the moment, plus they are funding me through my Masters so staying here until that's complete at the least :smile:
Reply 1078
Original post by dobbs

I'm not even going to lie, that did make me laugh.
You know you row when you laugh in the face of people who complain about 9am lectures, because you have a 6.30am outing the next day.

Quick Reply

Latest