Scroll to see replies

I do love rowing faces.
Reply 101
Jessaay!
I do love rowing faces.

Ditto :holmes:
Reply 102
partoftheweekend

See in the first pic, the GB 8. Some guys have their elbows out at the finish a lot more than others, its pretty inconsistant. Same in the 2nd picture with triggs-hodge and pete reed, the top GB pair. Again I dont think it will make too much difference either way and there are a lot more important technical issues that will make a huge difference to boat speed After all this isn't Dressage, boat speed is much more important than looking good :smile:

Sorry what?

In both pictures please remember that you're looking at sweep-oar rowing, so not both elbows will be doing the same. (Your outside elbow will be coming back further than your inside elbow)

Therefore in the first photo you should only be comparing S, 6, 4, and 2's elbows - their outside elbows. These are very consistent, in fact look practically identical.

The position of your elbow is not about "looking good". In fact very little in rowing is about looking good - except that usually if you look good (i.e. sitting up tall, straight back, good angles, good posture) then you can probably move the boat pretty well.

If you drop your outside elbow at the finish so that it's pointing down towards the water it will result in your wrists bending and you'll probably be feathering with your outside hand. Also it'll mean your outside shoulder will drop, causing your posture to loosen and you'll lose power around the finish. You should have a lean back, but with a straight back, and have relatively flat wrists so that you can tap down with your outside hand and feather with your inside hand.

Therefore boat speed will increase through the proper positioning of elbows around the finish.

Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe) boat speed will increase through the proper positioning of every single part of your body. Feet, legs, knees, bum, hips, core, chest, arms, neck, head. Yup, everything has a proper place and will increase stability in the boat :smile:
dobbs
Sorry what?

In both pictures please remember that you're looking at sweep-oar rowing, so not both elbows will be doing the same. (Your outside elbow will be coming back further than your inside elbow)

Therefore in the first photo you should only be comparing S, 6, 4, and 2's elbows - their outside elbows. These are very consistent, in fact look practically identical.

The position of your elbow is not about "looking good". In fact very little in rowing is about looking good - except that usually if you look good (i.e. sitting up tall, straight back, good angles, good posture) then you can probably move the boat pretty well.

If you drop your outside elbow at the finish so that it's pointing down towards the water it will result in your wrists bending and you'll probably be feathering with your outside hand. Also it'll mean your outside shoulder will drop, causing your posture to loosen and you'll lose power around the finish. You should have a lean back, but with a straight back, and have relatively flat wrists so that you can tap down with your outside hand and feather with your inside hand.

Therefore boat speed will increase through the proper positioning of elbows around the finish.

Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe) boat speed will increase through the proper positioning of every single part of your body. Feet, legs, knees, bum, hips, core, chest, arms, neck, head. Yup, everything has a proper place and will increase stability in the boat :smile:

Lol, you're 100% right. I completely forgot about the fact that they're sweeping and will have different arm positions. :facepalm: Too much time sculling I guess. Does elbow sticking out or into the body still matter as long as its on a flat plain with the wrist?
Reply 104
partoftheweekend
Lol, you're 100% right. I completely forgot about the fact that they're sweeping and will have different arm positions. :facepalm: Too much time sculling I guess. Does elbow sticking out or into the body still matter as long as its on a flat plain with the wrist?

Ha yes don't worry I was coaching the other week and although I was coaching an 8 the cox kept thinking it was a quad, and so was saying things like "OK full crew rowing on with their right hand" and things like that, incredibly confusing!!

I've always been taught that the elbow should be sticking out so that the line of the oar handle should continue through the forearm to the elbow, if that makes sense? But looking at the photos that you posted that doesn't seem to be what's going on so much.
Reply 105

Pictures

I'm sure of one thing, and it's that I don't feather with my outside hand. My left thumb is the only finger bearing a blister, and that's from the blade scraping it as it doesn't follow the move of the blade :colondollar:
Reply 106
As of tonight we have been told we can use the college ergo's whenever we want (and at least 2 or 3 times a week). :coma:.
Mithra
As of tonight we have been told we can use the college ergo's whenever we want (and at least 2 or 3 times a week). :coma:.

Is this good or bad!?
Reply 108
partoftheweekend
Is this good or bad!?

Lol, the bracketed bit could be a bit dodgy but being told we can use the ergos whenever we want now is definitely good :awesome:.
I hate ergs :frown:
Reply 110
I abhor ergs. That said, I'd rather be on an erg than running.
Why would you enjoy being able to use ergs, at least you have an excuse otherwise :frown:
Reply 112
Jessaay!
Why would you enjoy being able to use ergs, at least you have an excuse otherwise :frown:

I am unfit as ****, I would like to be otherwise :p:.

54:18 to do 12k with a 2min break at 6k yesterday :sad:.

Also, turns out the 1st nov 8 are competing in the london Head of the River Race I believe, sad times :bawling:.
Reply 113
Mithra
I am unfit as ****, I would like to be otherwise :p:.

54:18 to do 12k with a 2min break at 6k yesterday :sad:.

Also, turns out the 1st nov 8 are competing in the london Head of the River Race I believe, sad times :bawling:.

You only have one boat going? We send at least 4, 2 women and 2 men, but I'm pretty sure the 3rd VIIIs will go too if they can.
Reply 114
Anatheme
You only have one boat going? We send at least 4, 2 women and 2 men, but I'm pretty sure the 3rd VIIIs will go too if they can.

One from the novices, which presumably means some (maybe only 1) seniors as well. Remember this is just college level too, you may be sending 4 boats from manchester, this is from one college out of all the ones in Durham alongside actual DUBC boats :p:.
Reply 115
Mithra
One from the novices, which presumably means some (maybe only 1) seniors as well. Remember this is just college level too, you may be sending 4 boats from manchester, this is from one college out of all the ones in Durham alongside actual DUBC boats :p:.

Oh yeah, truuue!
I'm amazing at rowing.

I've never lost an argument yet. :ahee:
Woooo, my team won the UH head's race. Despite semi dislocating my hip half way through (no I'm not kidding :p:) and me distracting everyone when I was screaming with the agony of my hip and the exhaustion (apparently I sounded like I was giving birth) we beat the next best team by 40 seconds and beat all the Women's 2nds teams with our time despite being novices. I think we own.
Reply 118
Wow, nice :p:.

Our college has been banned from rowing for a week because a double went out yesterday when the river was high and running really fast :facepalm:. Apparently they are going to be rowing the Atlantic though so you would think it was a good time for them to be out :p:.
Reply 119
I wasn't rowing yesterday as they wanted to see how other girls would do, so instead, I baked brownies for my crew, took pictures and shouted at them while cycling in the mud and trying to film. Apparently the cox was rambling about brownied during the whole race, saying stuff like "Come on girls, 20 strokes before you get that brownie! Come oooon, can you feel the chocolate down your throat? No? push harder!" :rofl:

On a less funny note, I spent 3h in hospital today only to get told by a rude doctor that I just needed to take painkillers. My hip is destroyed and I can't do anything but cycling and rowing (being in bed is more painful than cycling 15 miles, cool).

Quick Reply

Latest