The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alix23
I'm going to be starting racing soon! Schools' head (assuming it isn't cancelled) and then something in Gent next month :smile:

Schools head has been postponed but I'm not sure of the new date, sometime later this month? Check the website :smile:

I might be doing the junior sculling head and schools head too but my coach has only vaguely mentioned them... Here's hoping!

I'm racing every other week now, it's exhausting but so much fun :smile: We keep coming second to the same people though! >:frown:

Good luck with your races by the way!
Original post by Peanut
Anyone going to be at WEHoRR?

I wish!! The thing I miss the most about graduating is rowing! Good luck for WeHORR! Do you row on the tideway? or will this be your first time?
So my knee is feeling a bit weird, and has been feeling quite stiff since last monday. I had rowing training on Tuesday, which made it worst. I have rowing training again tomorrow, and also on Thursday. I don't know if I should train or rest my knee for longer. It feels really weird, and quite stiff. It doesn't pain, but it does ache and there is no swelling. It just doesn't feel very nice lol.
Reply 1283
Original post by Steliata
Schools head has been postponed but I'm not sure of the new date, sometime later this month? Check the website :smile:

I might be doing the junior sculling head and schools head too but my coach has only vaguely mentioned them... Here's hoping!

I'm racing every other week now, it's exhausting but so much fun :smile: We keep coming second to the same people though! >:frown:

Good luck with your races by the way!

I know, it's my coach that runs it :smile: At the moment it's been postponed, but I don't think they're particularly optimistic about the river improving in time.

I've been really lacking in motivation over the last month, I'm blaming the crappy weather.
Original post by Alix23
I know, it's my coach that runs it :smile: At the moment it's been postponed, but I don't think they're particularly optimistic about the river improving in time.

I've been really lacking in motivation over the last month, I'm blaming the crappy weather.

Mmm I agree about the rubbish weather stealing my motivation - although all the events we've entered have been on, we haven't been able to get o the water much. We had some good outings over the weekend though.

Meanwhile our main opposition train on a canal so they've been going out all the time *grrrrrr*

In terms of getting your motivation back, perhaps you could introduce something else into your training? Our coach decided one week that we would go spinning (on exercise bikes) - that was a nice change and helped get our motivation up :smile: It also makes me think I should do more cycling!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1285
Original post by littlehobbit
I wish!! The thing I miss the most about graduating is rowing! Good luck for WeHORR! Do you row on the tideway? or will this be your first time?

It'll be my first time! I'm just praying they don't have to bump any of the fresher crews off because of the flooding or flow of the water. I'm desperate to race it.
Reply 1286
So it turns out I'm going to be racing in a mixed quad at schools' head, should be fun!
How did the Schools Head go?

And such a shame Eights Head got cancelled, my club's A crew managed a grand total of 20 strokes lol

I only have one more head race left!!! :biggrin:
Conditions were absolutely horrendous, the wind picked up just after we started, and it was raining and hailing the whole way through. It felt like an achievement just to finish! We picked up 3rd in the end, although there weren't very many crews in our category...

Next up is Ghent in a few weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alix23
Conditions were absolutely horrendous, the wind picked up just after we started, and it was raining and hailing the whole way through. It felt like an achievement just to finish! We picked up 3rd in the end, although there weren't very many crews in our category...

Next up is Ghent in a few weeks.

Congrats on the 3rd and well done for finishing, bad conditions make everything feel worse. When I went to Warrington it was similar, wind, rain, hail and delays on the start line!

Had a terrible outing today. Our usual stroke is still in school this week so we had a different line up in our boat. We were practicing sprint distances which would have been fun (ish) had the stern pair not thought that you go the same slide rating as the start through the whole race... I hardly had time to take strokes!! Oh well, at least we all learned from it.
Did anyone else race in Nottingham this weekend?
Original post by Alix23
Did anyone else race in Nottingham this weekend?

I did :smile:
Original post by Steliata
I did :smile:

What were you racing in, how did it go?

I was just in a single, which was rather dull. Being the only girl from my school currently racing does have some drawbacks.
Original post by Alix23
What were you racing in, how did it go?

I was just in a single, which was rather dull. Being the only girl from my school currently racing does have some drawbacks.

I was in a coxed quad, we came 19th in the qualifiers when 18 went through so we were pretty annoyed! And I'm at bow so I got the full force of the headwind :L We got to go home early though because we were the only crew from our club, which was nice.

I quite like singles actually - I wish I'd been entered in one, I might have done all right.
Hey, approximately how fit do you have to be when starting rowing? I want to start as a fresher next season.
Original post by mctruffle
Hey, approximately how fit do you have to be when starting rowing? I want to start as a fresher next season.

Depends on the uni, but typically they'll take anyone and everyone, start to get people's fitness up and only start dividing into squads later on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mctruffle

As said, above, depends on the uni and their resources. Those at the upper end of uni rowing will be a lot more selective about who stays on their novice programmes as they're aiming for medals at BUCS and such.

Most will probably take whoever.
As said, above, depends on the uni and their resources. Those at the upper end of uni rowing will be a lot more selective about who stays on their novice programmes as they're aiming for medals at BUCS and such.

Most will probably take whoever.

Would you know whether Exeter would be particularly selective?

Quick Reply

Latest