The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcGXjckQYH0

The only video evidence of our victorious race. Some of our technique is terrible there and you can tell we're all dying, particularly me at 2 (you can hear my scream of pain at some point). Yes, the video is a bit weird. None of us made it :p:

My major problem (other than the obvious issues that are apparent in that video that came with a semi-dislocated hip and extreme exhaustion) seems to be missing part of the stroke by catching late.
Jessaay!

The only video evidence of our victorious race. Some of our technique is terrible there and you can tell we're all dying, particularly me at 2 (you can hear my scream of pain at some point). Yes, the video is a bit weird. None of us made it :p:

My major problem (other than the obvious issues that are apparent in that video that came with a semi-dislocated hip and extreme exhaustion) seems to be missing part of the stroke by catching late.

Well done on the win. Are you guys entering weHoRR? One technical issue I can spot is a lot of back/arms on the drive when the body should be steady and the legs driving on their own, most of the people in the boat seem to be doing it. However you're about 100 metres from the finish line so its very understandable!

Lots of decent uni level crews out on the tideway today. It was a horrible day though so not much fun.
partoftheweekend
Well done on the win. Are you guys entering weHoRR? One technical issue I can spot is a lot of back/arms on the drive when the body should be steady and the legs driving on their own, most of the people in the boat seem to be doing it. However you're about 100 metres from the finish line so its very understandable!

Lots of decent uni level crews out on the tideway today. It was a horrible day though so not much fun.

We were a lot further from the finish line than it looks, we had another 1.8km to go I think because they stretched it into the men's course for us as well. Yeah our coach tells us all the time that we break our backs a little during the drive, but the only way we can truly improve that is if we do some more core training I think. Nah we missed entry for weHoRR :frown:
Jessaay!
We were a lot further from the finish line than it looks, we had another 1.8km to go I think because they stretched it into the men's course for us as well. Yeah our coach tells us all the time that we break our backs a little during the drive, but the only way we can truly improve that is if we do some more core training I think. Nah we missed entry for weHoRR :frown:

Ah I thought you guys ended at the club. Can you get yourself put on the reserve list? If you beat everyone else by that much then the novice pennant might be a possibility
Reply 124
Jessaay!

Nice performance :awesome: You do look like you are in quite a bit of pain there :p:. What is going on with 4's outer hand? :afraid:.

Our first 8 novs did pretty well in the tyne head yesterday :smile:. Wish I'd been there :moon:.
Ive got a video on my PC of my first ever novice race but im so gash that I hope it never makes it to youtube.

Foodwise today Ive been pretty impressive. Survived till 4PM (inc 2 outings and racing pieces) on just a bowl of bran flakes. Since then had a foot long hotdog, nandos, packet of biscuits, easter egg, 2 creme eggs and a bun with peanut butter. Heavyweight for the win.

What are peoples aims for this season? Anything in particular at all physically (erg) or in the boat?
Reply 126
Mithra
Nice performance :awesome: You do look like you are in quite a bit of pain there :p:. What is going on with 4's outer hand? :afraid:.

Our first 8 novs did pretty well in the tyne head yesterday :smile:. Wish I'd been there :moon:.

Why weren't you there?

Was a bit rainy and miserable but good water and a good event :smile:

I was marshalling the first division, sitting in a metal launch freezing my ass off in the rain! Then raced in the afternoon, came 5th overall and beat all the IM3 eights (though we are IM2 because one person has 7 points, the rest of us only have 0 or 1 grrr!)....5k in 15min 15secs! Woop :smile: Looking good for North of England (Chester) and then HoRR! :smile:
Reply 127
dobbs
Why weren't you there?

Was a bit rainy and miserable but good water and a good event :smile:

I was marshalling the first division, sitting in a metal launch freezing my ass off in the rain! Then raced in the afternoon, came 5th overall and beat all the IM3 eights (though we are IM2 because one person has 7 points, the rest of us only have 0 or 1 grrr!)....5k in 15min 15secs! Woop :smile: Looking good for North of England (Chester) and then HoRR! :smile:

Nice one :biggrin:. (I reckon you should kick out that 7 pointer :p:).

I wasn't there because I wasn't good enough to be in the first team, who were the only ones to go in the end :smile:.
Reply 128
I'm still in the 2nd novice women VIII for WeHorr, turns out we don't have a 3rd VIII anymore and 3 girls from the 1st VIII will be in the 2nd senior women VIII. Tomorrow, weighting and then meeting for lightweight categories. Don't think I put on weight since January, and I was already below the limit, which means I won't have any weight to lose, unlike most other girls wanting to be lightweights. :h:

I'll try to post videos of our 1st and 2nd VIIIs when I work out how my camera works :colonhash:, but for the moment, some boats racing at Trafford:

1st novice women VIII

2nd novice women VIII (my usual boat)

Novice men boats, no idea which one is which one:

And the boat with the best name ever:

Reply 129
1st VIII (I did not realise there was a gate and that my bike wasn't a horse and wouldn't jump it :colondollar: )
2nd VIII (They call it "the appalling warming up" )
Reply 130
Oooh we posting photos now eh?

Here's my crew from Tyne Head on Saturday....
Reply 131
Showoff :p:
Reply 132
Mithra
Showoff :p:

Pah everyone else is posting pics. Just cos I've been rowing for about 6 years now, expect to be a decent standard.

Though technically still have 0 points for rowing ha! Woop :smile:
Reply 133
I'm the lightest and 2nd tallest girl of our potential lightweight crew :erm:
Reply 134
dobbs
Pah everyone else is posting pics. Just cos I've been rowing for about 6 years now, expect to be a decent standard.

Though technically still have 0 points for rowing ha! Woop :smile:

Nice :p:. I doubt I'll ever manage to get points :awesome:. Although our two novice coaches have decided that, as they both denoviced in their first year, it is a 'tradition' now so we all have to too :biggrin:.
Reply 135
Mithra
Nice :p:. I doubt I'll ever manage to get points :awesome:. Although our two novice coaches have decided that, as they both denoviced in their first year, it is a 'tradition' now so we all have to too :biggrin:.

Pah seriously don't be in a rush to denovice. Best to win plenty of Head Races, and either do mixed events at small regattas (winning a mixed event doesn't get you points) or just don't do the smaller ones.

I wouldn't mind denovicing at a major regatta (Durham, for example, in the north) but like my 1 point for sculling was for winning ONE race against a very poor double at Durham City Regatta last year. Felt like a poorly won point really.
Reply 136
dobbs
Pah seriously don't be in a rush to denovice. Best to win plenty of Head Races, and either do mixed events at small regattas (winning a mixed event doesn't get you points) or just don't do the smaller ones.

I wouldn't mind denovicing at a major regatta (Durham, for example, in the north) but like my 1 point for sculling was for winning ONE race against a very poor double at Durham City Regatta last year. Felt like a poorly won point really.

There's no danger of us denovicing this year anyway, first team maybe but our 8 can only just keep going without tipping the boat over, and its gonna be a long time till a race we can even enter :sad:.
Draw for reading out now: http://www.reading.ac.uk/rowing/draw2010.pdf

Should be very interesting to see what happens, loads of good crews. I might be racing in IM2 but not sure yet..
Reply 138
I've been elected lightweight women's captain :biggrin:
Anatheme
I've been elected lightweight women's captain :biggrin:

Next stop boat club presidency

Quick Reply

Latest