The Student Room Group
Those results are good, so don't worry too much
I think what is annoying me is the way in which I lost marks. I did a lot of last minute stuff as I was absence for family reasons and had some catching up to do. So late night typing caused a lot of errors and stylistics problems. Plus I didn't proof read properly.

My problem is I am comparing them to my undergraduate results which were mostly in the 70s. I am assuming now that postgrads are marked tougher.
Reply 3
thomasjamesscott
. I am assuming now that postgrads are marked tougher.

There's a school of thought that MA marking is 10% lower than UG results so if you were getting firsts at undergrad then your MA results are about right.

Those are good marks :biggrin:
apotoftea
There's a school of thought that MA marking is 10% lower than UG results so if you were getting firsts at undergrad then your MA results are about right.

It seems the opposite on my MA.

On my BA, you couldn't really get higher than 75. On my MA, you can realistically get up to 90...
Reply 5
Pink Bullets
It seems the opposite on my MA.

On my BA, you couldn't really get higher than 75. On my MA, you can realistically get up to 90...

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that a 75 on a BA would probably get around a 65 on the MA.

Range of marks will always be different because you've gone up a level.
apotoftea
I didn't mean it like that. I meant that a 75 on a BA would probably get around a 65 on the MA.

Range of marks will always be different because you've gone up a level.

I know what you mean, and I still think it's the other way around on my course.

For example, I got a 67 on one assignment and the comments were pretty mediocre. I got an 80 on another assignment and the comments said 'very good'. On my BA, 67 would have been 'very good' and I never got above low 70s. :smile:
Maybe depends on subject field, tutuor etc. The comments werent bad, good solid essay etc stylistics error. nothing major. i will get higher next time
*flipping through own Uni's marking rubric, so take with grain of salt* An average of 65 and above qualifies for consideration of PhD applications. Individual marks on course-work, dissertation, and exams of 65+ indicate doctoral level potential. Depending how much the admission selectors can be bothered to mentally convert uni-rank:s-smilie: +marks , sounds like a reasonable guideline.
You know, it's only half-year and pleasant miracles do occur. If it's all down to exams at the end, you never know. You could pull an upset! :yes: But seriously, you've got good marks.

P.S. Does your Masters have a dissertation option? Because if it does, that's what's important. Be careful about this module. A good one (70 and above) can really make a transcript pop. A below-average one (just pass) compared to exam marks can bump you down a classification regardless of high exam marks and mathematical-logic. I've seen it happen! PhD/DPhils and academia are about independent original research after all.
---------
-taken from LSE International Relations Department
- friend's tutor at Oxford-Area Studies says internally a 60 at Oxford qualifies for DPhil consideration in the same uni
Reply 9
Those marks are fine, you should be pleased with them. My final mark for my undergraduate degree was less than any of yours, I didn't even do a masters, and now I'm doing a PhD now in the best university in the country.
Reply 10
Xenopus
Those marks are fine, you should be pleased with them. My final mark for my undergraduate degree was less than any of yours, I didn't even do a masters, and now I'm doing a PhD now in the best university in the country.

how!!!!
Reply 11
DaddyT
how!!!!

Good question, well, firstly, a masters isn't a requirement for PhD courses in some subjects. A lot of people do a masters degree, but it is something you can get away without for some subjects, as long as you get a 2.1. If you get a 2.2, then a masters is a requirement.
Secondly, I did my undergraduate degree at a good university. Thirdly, I got some very high marks in my third year, and my overall score was let down massively by my second year. I didn't put my second year marks on my C.V, or my overall mark, only my third year marks, so my interviewers were under the impression that I did better overall than I actually did. Fourthly, I must have done quite well in my interview, as I was against about 6 other people. Fifthly, I was probably lucky.
Edit, sixthly and seventhly, I think my personal statement was quite good, and I managed to get some good references.
My Masters is in Media Reserach so the dissertation is mandatory. I'm pretty sure I can come out with an average in the high 60s. I just hope I get on the PHD.
Xenopus
I didn't put my second year marks on my C.V, or my overall mark, only my third year marks, so my interviewers were under the impression that I did better overall than I actually did. Fourthly, I must have done quite well in my interview, as I was against about 6 other people. Fifthly, I was probably lucky.
Edit, sixthly and seventhly, I think my personal statement was quite good, and I managed to get some good references.

Did you apply for a Studentship/Department-funded position? I thought that postgrad and PhD applications always asked for transcripts and mark sheets so that every year's marks were bound to show up for better or for worse. Which uni did you apply to? That process you underwent sounds like a good deal.
Usually, in my case anyway, it depends how you do in the most applicable modules. For example, I am doing reserach into representations of the Irish in American cinema 1915-1929. I got 70 in Irish Cinema at undergrad and 72 in Hollywood Cinema at Undergrad. I got full funding.

I have came to the conclusion that i am worring too much about my marks, if I follow the tutors feedback I shud be up in the 70s next time.
Reply 15
WaltzvWendt
Did you apply for a Studentship/Department-funded position? I thought that postgrad and PhD applications always asked for transcripts and mark sheets so that every year's marks were bound to show up for better or for worse. Which uni did you apply to? That process you underwent sounds like a good deal.

I'm funded by a research council, for three years. I did have to give in a transcript, but I had already been offered the place by then. I'm at Cambridge.

Latest

Trending

Trending