The Student Room Group

So Stressed Out!!! Scratched someone's car - HELP.

Hi all!

Please read and contribute any help you can. :yes:

My slightly embarrassing story:

Right, I went to park in a bay the other morning, misjudged the gap and just wasn't concentrating enough I guess. The front corner of my car very lightly brushed the rear wheel panel of the car next to me as I was turning into the space, leaving very minor damage - i.e. a bit of scratched paintwork.

As I was writing a note to the owner, she turned up and got into her car without even noticing the damage. I still thought it best to tell her though, so we exchanged numbers etc.

My very stressful predicament:

She has since texted me asking for my insurance details, to which I replied I would much prefer to pay for the repair work privately. As a young male driver, my premium would sky-rocket if this was to go through the insurance.

She replied by telling me it HAS to go through insurance because it's a company car, so I reluctantly sent them to her, saying that I would still like to sort this out privately - perhaps by talking to her company. I've had no reply from her since.

If this goes through insurance I will either have to stop driving altogether, or clear out my university savings for the premium; neither of which I can afford to do!

Is there anything I can do?? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think scratching a car in a car park will make you premium rocket. Having a full-on collision, totaling your car, flipping it, at least denting another car or whatever might, but not a scratch.

Contact your insurance company now and see what they say the damage will be to your premium; it might not be as bad as you think. I wouldn't recommend doing this until she contacts them though, just in case you manage to settle it privately.

Apart from that, there's not much you can do but wait and see. She's within her rights, and is fully abiding by the law, and to be honest, if it's a company car and her company wants to go through these procedures, then that's their decision and it's not worth her risking her job.
DarkWhite
I don't think scratching a car in a car park will make you premium rocket. Having a full-on collision, totaling your car, flipping it, at least denting another car or whatever might, but not a scratch.

Contact your insurance company now and see what they say the damage will be to your premium; it might not be as bad as you think. I wouldn't recommend doing this until she contacts them though, just in case you manage to settle it privately.

Apart from that, there's not much you can do but wait and see. She's within her rights, and is fully abiding by the law, and to be honest, if it's a company car and her company wants to go through these procedures, then that's their decision and it's not worth her risking her job.

Good advice.

And some more for the OP-You are a tit and a half for alerting her when she was driving off. I mean I understand the note writing part-you have to cover yourself legally because of cameras, witnesses e.t.c but considering she was driving off, well you shouldn't have rushed to get her.

I would have left it as fate :wink:
Reply 3
Potential Trigger
Good advice.

And some more for the OP-You are a tit and a half for alerting her when she was driving off. I mean I understand the note writing part-you have to cover yourself legally because of cameras, witnesses e.t.c but considering she was driving off, well you shouldn't have rushed to get her.

I would have left it as fate :wink:

I almost did. The only thing that stopped me was my imagination haha. I thought what it would be like if I had a nice car like hers, and it was my pride and joy. I thought about how pissed off I would be if someone damaged my car without saying anything. I pictured worst case scenarios and didn't realise it was a company car obviously.

But yeah, I feel like a tit and a half now.
Reply 4
Change your SIM and leg it!
Reply 5
Unfortunately, a claim's a claim, so you may well see your insurance affected as a result. As already mentioned though, you'll just have to wait and see how far it goes though.
Mighty.
I almost did. The only thing that stopped me was my imagination haha. I thought what it would be like if I had a nice car like hers, and it was my pride and joy. I thought about how pissed off I would be if someone damaged my car without saying anything. I pictured worst case scenarios and didn't realise it was a company car obviously.

But yeah, I feel like a tit and a half now.

Don'r worry you did the right thing morally and with any luck it the insurance will not be affected much since it is a very minor incident.
Have you actually given her any of your personal details besides the mobile number? If no, then just change your SIM card or get a new phone.

Edit: Just re-read the OP and seen that you have. So you've passed up two easy opportunities to get completely off the hook. Well played, sir(!)
Reply 8
I actually commend the OP for standing up and taking responsibility for the damage he/she has caused. To often the above attitudes of denying all knowledge and running are portrayed by drivers, costing innocent drivers the hassle of getting the car fixed and their insurance increasing and losing their no claims.

So, I am going to +ve rep the OP because this kind of responsible driving is rare now and I am really impressed by the moral high ground this young chap has shown and I hope others do the same.

At the end of the day, if you do something wrong, you should take responsibility for your actions. It might cost you, but that is life. We all make mistakes and we should accept the consequences.

If someone did that to my car and drove off I would be fuming, not only because they had damaged my car but then destroyed my 3 years NCB!

OP:- Just go with the flow, see what the insurance says, your insurance will go up, but I commend you for taking responsibility for your actions.

All the best,
Graham
Reply 9
gbduo
I actually commend the OP for standing up and taking responsibility for the damage he/she has caused. To often the above attitudes of denying all knowledge and running are portrayed by drivers, costing innocent drivers the hassle of getting the car fixed and their insurance increasing and losing their no claims.

So, I am going to +ve rep the OP because this kind of responsible driving is rare now and I am really impressed by the moral high ground this young chap has shown and I hope others do the same.

At the end of the day, if you do something wrong, you should take responsibility for your actions. It might cost you, but that is life. We all make mistakes and we should accept the consequences.

If someone did that to my car and drove off I would be fuming, not only because they had damaged my car but then destroyed my 3 years NCB!

OP:- Just go with the flow, see what the insurance says, your insurance will go up, but I commend you for taking responsibility for your actions.

All the best,
Graham

Pretty much sums up my sentiments on the matter.
Reply 10
gbduo

All the best,
Graham

Perfectly summed up.

The OP did the right thing, and I hope they don't get shafted because of it. Afraid I can't be of any more help than that :smile:
I'd usually say honesty is the best policy in most situations but, if it means having to part with any brass, I'd have just let her drive off
How bad was the damage? Like, completely just a light scratch?

The company may be up for taking payment from you direct, or they may not bother with insurance altogether - they usually have excesses too you know :wink:
Reply 13
If i was in a company car and someone was nice enough to alert me to them scratching it then there is no way I would take their details.... they have proven to be a good person and id let the company insurance take care of it. Even though a small scratch on a company car makes no difference
Reply 14
gbduo

All the best,
Graham

Thanks Graham, and everyone else for leaving replies. :smile:

To the guys thinking I should have left it, I disagree. There's a lot of reasons why, which I cant really be bothered to list right now.

* And well, no, it wasn't just a single little scratch - it was more like a few little scratches grouped together in one small spot. Think of a lightly grazed knee, only on a car. :lol:
You're too nice for your own good lol.
Reply 16
jumpingjesusholycow
You're too nice for your own good lol.

Well that may be true haha, but it wasn't just out of niceness I guess. This was at the gym where I regularly go. I don't know if she is also a regular, but there is definitely a chance I will see her there at some point.
If I'd have left it and she'd noticed the damage and worked out it was me, it would serve me right for leaving it when she's hunting me down for claims.
Reply 17
Mighty.
Thanks Graham, and everyone else for leaving replies. :smile:

To the guys thinking I should have left it, I disagree. There's a lot of reasons why, which I cant really be bothered to list right now.

* And well, no, it wasn't just a single little scratch - it was more like a few little scratches grouped together in one small spot. Think of a lightly grazed knee, only on a car. :lol:

If it isn't dented, then it is a simple respray and it should not cost too much, if it is dented then it starts getting expensive.

Someone did something very similar to me, and it cost £2500 in insurance but that was because it was a brand new car and and it was proper ******.

Basically, the scratch went down to bare metal and it dented the wing, which meant brand new wing and re-spray. £££!
gbduo
If it isn't dented, then it is a simple respray and it should not cost too much, if it is dented then it starts getting expensive.

Someone did something very similar to me, and it cost £2500 in insurance but that was because it was a brand new car and and it was proper ******.

Basically, the scratch went down to bare metal and it dented the wing, which meant brand new wing and re-spray. £££!

Ouch - how did that happen??

When some idiot reversed into a main road and clipped my parents Audi it looked pretty much exactly the same except on the front. Tried to go through insurance but wouldn't you know it the guy who hit us had no insurance. They didn't lose their NCB as it was protected but it needed a new alloy, new tyre, new wing and new paint.

Grrrr
Reply 19
KitKatFrench
Ouch - how did that happen??

When some idiot reversed into a main road and clipped my parents Audi it looked pretty much exactly the same except on the front. Tried to go through insurance but wouldn't you know it the guy who hit us had no insurance. They didn't lose their NCB as it was protected but it needed a new alloy, new tyre, new wing and new paint.

Grrrr

Pretty much exactly the same scenario as you, guy was reversing around corner, my car was on the end, he scraped mud flap, rear quarter panel and bumper. Proper job.

It was then hard to ascertain whether he was insured or not but I think in the end he was. But yeh, expensive job!

And it affected my premium the following year by £60 a year! And it was no fault of my own! Bloody insurance.

Latest

Trending

Trending