The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As far as I'm aware the only sport that gives you a stitch is running? I only get it when running anyway, nobody knows what stitch is or why its caused yet.
nasht
WEllp, i have prehypertension and im going off to high blood pressure if I dont change my lifestyle LOL (I know im out of topic but be sure to check ure blood pressures regularly guys)

whats prehypertension then?
Reply 22
NickNack
apparently you can be TOO fit, which basically means your heart rate is too slow. doctors end up ordering you never to do exercise again! lol i doubt thats going to happen to anyone here anytime soon

Nah thats rubbish.
Reply 23
Its better to have a faster beating heart than a relaxing heart :wink:

Its if your heart rate is lower than 50 bpm, that you should be seriously worrying as you can easily die of heart attack, angina or slip into a coma :p:

Last time I exercised I was 210 bpm

:bandit:
Reply 24
Vhisko
Its if your heart rate is lower than 50 bpm, that you should be seriously worrying as you can easily die of heart attack, angina or slip into a coma

Thats such a load of *******s, honestly, where do some of you people here this ****? There are plenty of people in the world with resting heart-rates below 50bpm that don't just slip into a coma, take 99% of most elite endurance athletes for example.
Reply 25
imasillynarb
Thats such a load of *******s, honestly, where do some of you people here this ****? There are plenty of people in the world with resting heart-rates below 50bpm that don't just slip into a coma, take 99% of most elite endurance athletes for example.

Yes but elite endurance athletes train themselves do do this, its nothing normal for a usual person.

I don't see why having a low heart rate at rest is something to be proud of.
Reply 26
Right, so if a "normal" person does some endurance training do you not think his resting heart-rate will lower over time if they train correctly? Your heart rate lowers as you become fitter, as your heart becomes bigger and stronger, and your cardiovascular system becomes more efficient, it doesn't mean you're going to fall as leep and never wake up.
Reply 27
imasillynarb
Right, so if a "normal" person does some endurance training do you not think his resting heart-rate will lower over time if they train correctly? Your heart rate lowers as you become fitter, as your heart becomes bigger and stronger, and your cardiovascular system becomes more efficient, it doesn't mean you're going to fall as leep and never wake up.

Yes but I was thinking we are talking about 'normal' people in this thread from which the majority would not train and exercise, for which reason their heart won't be bigger and stronger as you say.
Hence they will not have an efficient cardiovascular system and so if their heart rate decreases the heart won't cope with the extra stress.

So in conclusion, a person whom is untrained (unfit) will want a heart rate above 50 bpm to be on the safe side.
Reply 28
Most normal people do at least some exercise..

You wouldn't expect somebodies heart-rate to suddenly decrease from their normal anyway, would you?

Some people have genetically low untrained heart-rates as I said, there are probably quite a few people with resting heart-rates lower than 50bpm without ever having exercised at all.
There's a test that checks how fit your heart is. Your measure your heart rate when you're resting then you do about 20 flexions of the knees by standing upright, placing your hands straight in front of you, perpendicular to your body and bending your knees 20 times. You then measure your heart rate just after the 20 repetitions and about 5 minutes after.

I don't think a low heart rate is a sign of health to be honest. Low heart rates run in my family. Both my parents have heartrates of about 60 and so do I, yet my parents are hardly active, apart from maybe my Dad and my granddad has heart disease.
Reply 30
imasillynarb
there are probably quite a few people with resting heart-rates lower than 50bpm without ever having exercised at all.

Without exercise is just dangerous and at those rates of heartbeat I recommend them to do some exercise.
Reply 31
imasillynarb
96bpm is a bit high, what height/weight are you?

Average untrained heart-rate for a male is 70-80bpm I think, for females I think its a bit higher.

Its all individual though, some people like me have low untrained heart-rates, which means your heart-rate can get to silly low levels, my resting heart rate is 44bpm at the moment, thats only 2bpm higher than bradley mcgee(tour de france cyclist) but I'm nowhere near as fit as him! So its all genetic basically, oh and also bigger people have lower heart-rates generally, and smaller people higher.

I'm 5ft 8 and 9 stone, so bmi of 19.2, the lower end of normal, so i'm neither short nor overweight! I think maybe its just being v inactive but that should improve soon when i start univ in a few weeks :smile:

thanks for all the replies!

Latest

Trending

Trending