The Student Room Group
~pml~
With regards to jobs, how flexible are they? Are you allowed to work what days, hours that suit you or are they dictated for you?

It all depends on what the job is and when you are contracted to work as to how flexible it will be.
the hours i get are dictated to me (i'm working as a waiter for corporate events) but i get a lot a free time and make decent cash even though sometimes i have to do a 13hour shift which is a killer.
oh and i can't turn down a job if i can't take it but i need to give 48-hours notices
Reply 4
I managed to get a job within my college, so they were pretty understanding with what hours I could work.
Reply 5
I recently got a job with M&S and they have different contracts and each contract had different hours to work, so i had the option if i wanted to to look at them all and see what hours would be needed for which jobs but i didnt bother. But not they are set and i can't change them
Reply 6
sparklyteacosie
It all depends on what the job is and when you are contracted to work as to how flexible it will be.

oh right... so I'm guessing stating your preferred days and hours etc at an interview is a bad idea then? Do employers even take on workers for only a few hours a week that they choose or is that unheard of? I suppose I'm asking this question in terms of, dare I say it, more low key jobs?

On a separate note note, are all jobs nine-to-five then or is this a generalisation? -with reference to part-time jobs, temporary ones and graduate type jobs?
~pml~
oh right... so I'm guessing stating your preferred days and hours etc at an interview is a bad idea then? Do employers even take on workers for only a few hours a week that they choose or is that unheard of? I suppose I'm asking this question in terms of, dare I say it, more low key jobs?

On a separate note note, are all jobs nine-to-five then or is this a generalisation? -with reference to part-time jobs, temporary ones and graduate type jobs?

Lots of friend have had jobs in shops where they only worked 4 hours on a saturday.

For my full time job I work 8.30 till 5. (although it does vary-my dad works 8 till 4) I think this is the same for a lot of full time jobs in offices at least. In shops it is obviously different.
Reply 8
depends on the job and the contract. i'm contracted to work 7.5 hours a week atm, so if i can't make my saturday shift then i have to do time in lieu or take it as holiday. at my last job i could take holiday whenever i liked, but my hours were dictated by what my employers needed. that said, i know lots of people who can pretty much work whenever they want to - it depends on who is employing you and what they contract you to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending