Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flat lifeless hair :( what to do?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have kind of plain light brown hair and it's quite heavy so it always hangs really flat. It hangs just past my shoulders so it's too short to do anything elaborate with it - how can I give it more volume or just make it look interesting?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe get some layers put in it. Thats what I tend to do when my hair looks a bit flat
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    L'oreal Elvive will make your hair look exactly like Cheryl Coles! :woo: (well, that and loads of hair extensions...)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have layers and it's amazing what a difference it makes, and perhaps straghtening it a little, I only do it a couple of time a year lol becuause it burns your hair so avoid doing it too much. But seriously, layers are great!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, I will get it layered (:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use volumising mousse when blow drying your hair!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Use volumising mousse when blow drying your hair!
    This! I just started doing that...but don't over straighten it or it will go all flimsy again. Do it just enough so you're not sporting a Kate Bush do....not that that's a bad thing :p:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Based on what you've written, I'd recommend these (all tried and tested by me) to help your hair look less dull and flat:
    - Tony & Guy Brunette Glosser. Expensive but makes your colour hair come alive. Spritz some in and blowdry.
    - Umberto Giannini Dazzling Shine Spray. I love this. It's subtle but adds multidimensional shine.
    - Tony & Guy Shine Enhance Shampoo/Conditioner. Great for everyday use I find, really tame hair and make it smoother and healthier looking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin-Face)
    I have kind of plain light brown hair and it's quite heavy so it always hangs really flat. It hangs just past my shoulders so it's too short to do anything elaborate with it - how can I give it more volume or just make it look interesting?
    I would put a few layers in it and then perhaps you could gently tease the roots to add extra volume? There are plenty of 'How to' videos on youtube but basically take small sections of hair from the top of the head, take a rat tail comb (a comb with lots of teeth) and then slightly backcomb it (brush it back on itself? like upwards from about a third of the way down to the roots?) and then squirt a small amount of hairspray on the underside of the section. But only backcomb a tiny bit- we dont want it to be really bushy! Just do it gently at the roots of the top layer sections of hair and hopefully itll add a bit of lift to the crown!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheryl Cole's got a solution to your hair problems!
    Just watch TV. The first 5 adverts you'll see will have the solution!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shave it all off and wear a wig ;D

Or just add some some layers - lots of lots of it. Ah, and when you blow dry your hair, turn your hairdryer in a way it's drying your hair 'upwards' so that the hair it's against the natural direction of which it hangs, and that should give you a little volume boost.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    This! I just started doing that...but don't over straighten it or it will go all flimsy again. Do it just enough so you're not sporting a Kate Bush do....not that that's a bad thing :p:
    :coma: I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves Kate's hair! I think cos her albums are so good sometimes people forget THE HAIR.

That said OP, if you wanted hair like Kate's get some layers, wash with shampoo but not conditioner, take the towel off after 20 minutes, do a MASSIVE headflick, and leave to dry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem..
    I section my hair and spray the underneath of the section with hairspray at the roots..
    I then backcomb the hairsprayed section and do this all over..
    You get great volume but if its too much you can lightly comb through the bits that are too volumous and it will drop slightly
    Hope this helps...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    :coma: I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves Kate's hair! I think cos her albums are so good sometimes people forget THE HAIR.

That said OP, if you wanted hair like Kate's get some layers, wash with shampoo but not conditioner, take the towel off after 20 minutes, do a MASSIVE headflick, and leave to dry
    Just tonight I have been watching her vids on YouTube!! haha I'm obsessed...because the other day my hair was the same as hers! haha I'll never forget the hair!.....or eyes for that matter
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just tonight I have been watching her vids on YouTube!! haha I'm obsessed...because the other day my hair was the same as hers! haha I'll never forget the hair!.....or eyes for that matter

Oh niiice! Did you take a picture? :teeth:

She's good for that isn't she, it's easy to go weeks without watching her videos and then settle down for a six hour youtube session

I think one of her most beautiful moments (face, hair figure) was the Suspended In Gaffa mime on French tv...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    limp lifeless hair? we have an answer to your haaair praaayers cheryl cole it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    volumising shampoo
    volumising conditioner
    when you get out of the shower put some volumising mousse/serum in it and blow dry it bent over forwards so you sorta make it as big as possible if you get me?
    there are hair products. bleaching it would cause it to dry out and become less limp but i wouldnt advise it if you like your colour now and also its very damaging.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    Oh niiice! Did you take a picture? :teeth:

She's good for that isn't she, it's easy to go weeks without watching her videos and then settle down for a six hour youtube session

I think one of her most beautiful moments (face, hair figure) was the Suspended In Gaffa mime on French tv...
    Link? haha you must feed the addiction!

Nah no pics but I could easily recreated it haha!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't straighten my hair anymore or otherwise my hair will start falling out! I just use a rounded brush to straighten it. I wash and blowdry my hair everyday as well so I don't think straightening it would be a good idea tbh! :')

I also backcomb and hairspray it to give it some volume esp, on a night out!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Haha I don't straighten my hair anymore or otherwise my hair will start falling out! I just use a rounded brush to straighten it. I wash and blowdry my hair everyday as well so I don't think straightening it would be a good idea tbh! :')

I also backcomb and hairspray it to give it some volume esp, on a night out!
    It'll fall out? :eek: I hope mine doesn't! :eek3:
    I think my hair is too long to back comb it's half way down my back haha

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 15, 2010
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.