The Student Room Group

Difference between Access course & Foundation?

Hi - what is the difference between an Access to Art and Design course and a Foundation art course?

I am a mature student and not keen on spending 2-3 years in the "preparation" stage. Ideally if I want to go from an Access course straight on to a degree program, or from foundation straight to university... but I see that many foundation degrees require formal qualifications (although they may be waived since I am a mature student), and they also require portfolio which I haven't got as I've never studied art...
lunchbox
Hi - what is the difference between an Access to Art and Design course and a Foundation art course?

I am a mature student and not keen on spending 2-3 years in the "preparation" stage. Ideally if I want to go from an Access course straight on to a degree program, or from foundation straight to university... but I see that many foundation degrees require formal qualifications (although they may be waived since I am a mature student), and they also require portfolio which I haven't got as I've never studied art...

To do any course in art and design you will need a portfolio surely....so i suggest you get working to out one together.

I wouldnt imagine and decent course would take students without one?

I did a years foundation and then went on to uni, but had done an art alevel before it.
You should be able to get into an art foundation without qualification providing you have a portfolio i think.

Latest