Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The (Sidetracked) Road to 3/4/5

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Random question time. If you entered an unequipped powerlifting comp at current weight what do you reckon you'd hit?
    140/95/165?

I had no idea on bench so that's a completely random guess but your total would be around 400. Surely that's gotta be fairly competitive at 70kg considering the qualifying weight at 70kg is around 340 i think when i looked it up the other day...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would probably hit 140, 80, 165 on a reasonable day. Maybe a bit more given the adrenaline of competing or whatever. I know I would squat better if I had someone shouting cues at me. My bench has completely and utterly gone to **** though because every time I train reasonably consistently my rotator cuff acts up. I'll try changing up my **** but otherwise, I'm pretty happy to trundle along without too much pressing. At least for now.

I'm looking for a competition at a convenient time/place, though frankly I've never been too bothered about competing in anything really. The only real reason I'd want to compete is to meet people with better technique than myself so I can learn from them. Only so much you can learn off youtube etc,
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your pretty skinny for your strength- maybe u should eat something?
    You've got lots of goons in your gym though, looking at them vids.
    Do u think that using a resistance band like one of those 'vagina' machines could increase internal hip rotation my strengthening what ever is weak in my hips?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnockoffNeil)
    ive never been to a gym so forgive me, but wtf is a vagina machine?

Demonstrated by Mr. Nun,
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodbath)
    Your pretty skinny for your strength- maybe u should eat something?
    You've got lots of goons in your gym though, looking at them vids.
    Do u think that using a resistance band like one of those 'vagina' machines could increase internal hip rotation my strengthening what ever is weak in my hips?
    Sure. That and stretching the external rotators of the hips will help. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ardcore_lifter may not be new to you. But provides a useful example of what to do with the band.

I know I'm skinny. That's not exactly news to me. I used to weigh less than 50kg at my present height. I can't be arsed to bulk in the same manner again for the present moment because I feel like **** constantly when I do so. That's just the nature of the beast.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Changed up how I bench. I'm not using the 'shrug' setup that Thibadeau recommends and a close grip (basically where the knurling ends. So the numbers will be low for a bit. Feels a lot nicer on the shoulders though the range of motion is huge in comparison to what it used to be. Want to do at least 6 reps for the first working set.
    Bench
    20x5 30x5 40x3 50x3 60x2 70x7 75x4 (30 seconds rest between each set)
    Pulldowns with a V-grip
    somexsome contraction is feeling good so it's doing what I want it to do.
    Hammer Strength Seated Press
    40x12 45x6
    T-Bar Row machine
    15x6 40x8 70x3 (a bit later when somebody left some weights on)
    Some curls.
    Left. In and out in under 45 mins including a shower, which is probably some kind of record for me.

Lost some bodyfat/a lot more pumped than usual today. Whatever the case, I need to keep doing upper body work. For higher reps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clean and Press. This is pretty much only to get me moving. My triceps/shoulders are dead to the world. My upper back is also a smidge gassed.
    30x5,5 40x3x3 50x3,2.
    Chinups (neutral grip and pull till the bar reaches 1'' above the nipple)
    7,1 (10 second hold)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eating and sleeping is a bit all over the place. So are my lifts.
    Squatz
    60x2 80x2 100x2 120x1 135x1 145xfail. Basically I slipped forward in the hole so it went tits up.
    Would hit 145 on a decent day/should have done 135 for a triple but I felt that reps would be meh. Feel oddly gassed doing just about anything right now. Tired and slightly ill
    Sumo Dead
    60x2 90x2 120x2 145x5 155x2 Form wasn't as good as last week. Will bump up the weights slower now. 147.5x5 is the likely. 150 only if I feel fantastic. Hope to get 155x3 next week.
    Bench/superset with band pull-aparts and face pulls
    20x2 40x2 60x2 70x5 72.5x4 75x3 77.5x2 80x1 82.5x1 85x1
    85 felt the easiest but some guys wanted the bench and I wanted to end on a good note after a meh session (in terms of finesse) so I left it at that.

I really like the 5-4-3-2-1 system. I dislike high reps and I don't like any of my sets to be real grinders as I think it's bad for progress if done constantly.

Need to deload squats I think. They just feel a bit ****ty compared to a week or two ago. Squats are affected by my sleep/eat patterns much more than deadlifts, for whatever reason.

New bench setup with traps shrugged and a close grip feels a lot better on the shoulders than my old pinkies/ring finger on the rings setup. RoM is a lot longer but my shoulders don't feel ****tty after each session. I reckon I should hit 90/95 quite soon with this new setup.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some nice benching... Shame about the squat...

Epic jelly of your lifts at a lower bodyweight than mine...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Some nice benching... Shame about the squat...
    Yeah, the squat sucked. But it happens. A reasonable way to see it is that 80% of sessions are ok. 10% of sessions are ****ing awesome. 10% of sessions suck balls. So you take what you get and try and make progress where you can really.
    Epic jelly of your lifts at a lower bodyweight than mine...
    Don't be. I've been lifting (in varying amounts of knowing what I'm doing/being retarded) for a lot longer than you have. You also have the joints to squat properly 3x a week. My squat would be a ****load higher if I didn't get strange knee pains squatting remotely heavy 2x a week. And that strength would carry over to the deadlift.

You're also part of a group which is smart enough to tell you not to do stupid **** like max out all the time. Which is what completely stunted my progress for the better part of a year.

It's just about finding stuff that works for you. You're making good progress and you'll probably pass me on most lifts within a year. Your press is currently better than mine already.

My exams are finished next week so the plan is to chill for a bit then go work my way up on squats again. I will continue ramping the deadlift up, though in slower increments. I aim to hit 170-175 soonish. I'm basically seeing where that ends up.

I am very happy with my new bench setup/grip. It felt weird at first but it doesn't hurt my shoulders and I think I will eventually come out stronger despite the much longer RoM with a narrow grip at the knurling. I think I can hit 100kg within a month or two. I've been close but have never had a decent plan that I like other than **** it guys: MAX. Which is retarded at the best of times. I dislike doing straight sets with a weight on most excercises (except like lat pulldowns/cable row type excercises) so the 5-4-3-2-1 is a bit of a godsend psychologically. Feels like a nice one to me so I'll see where I can take it. If nothing else, it gets in more volume than I'm used to at a reasonable intensity.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've lost 3-4kg and sit at about 68-68.5 right now. So unsurprisingly, feeling a bit ****ty. Just a case of being a bit run down/no appetite. Still making ok progress on the bench. Started to play around with my setup because the trap-shrug one felt **** today. So did a Tate-esque big arch setup. Back muscles spazzed a bit as they weren't really warm enough to do this but whatever, will remedy that for next time.

Close grip bench (the only kind for me )
    20x5 40x5 60x3 72.5x5 75x4 77.5x3 80x2 82.5x1 (super fast) 87.5x1 (super slow)
    Probably should have repped 82.5 instead of going for the heavier single because of how I feel but sod it, still made it.
    Pullups
    BWx5 BW+10x4 BW+15x2 BW+20x2
    Some ab work (slow hanging leg raises and some pullup to levers)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found a bodybuilding gym which is pretty close to where I live (unlike UCL.) It doesn't seem too expensive so I'm pretty excited about going. Looks like they have a safety squat bar/better kit than UCL. I'll probably start training like a bodybuilder soon, especially for the upper body.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So it's £70 for 2 months, which isn't super cheap but definitely affordable for the moment. I also don't have too much to do so this is a pretty sweet deal (it's near my house compared to UCL.) It has the whole range of MedX machines (kind of like the Hammer Strength series, which I really like.) I think my aesthetics will be improving due to access to these machines. I feel the nautilus curl/medX lateral raise machine in the muscle much better than the freeweight versions so will be keeping to these.

Onto the actual workout
    Bench
    20x5 30x3 40x3 50x3 60x1 75x5 77.5x4 80x3 82.5x2 85x1
    Safety Bar Squats to a below parallel box
    Barx5 Bar+20x5 Bar+40x5 Bar+60x5 Bar+70x1 Bar+80x1 (pretty hard)
    pissed around on many machines
    Sumo Deadlifts (much nicer with an eleiko bar and bumpers)
    worked up to 150x3 (reasonably hard but not too surprising consider the SSB squats earlier.)
    Hanging leg raises and some other ****.

The SSB definitely weighs more than 20kg. The gym owner said in the range of 40-50kg and I believe him.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just pissing about at the gym today.
    Chins
    BWx5 BW+1 chain x4,3 BW+2 chainsx2,1
    Some more chins throughout the workout. Usually singles or doubles with 1-2 chains (9/18kg)
    GHRs BWx6-7 sets of 8. Lost count. hammies and glutes are going to be sore tomorrow.
    MedX Press machine: work up to 260x8 280x7 300x6 (mad lulz)
    MedX Seated Row: work up to 240x8 260x5 330x3
    Press 50x5
    Close Grip Bench 20x2 40x2 60x2 80x2 90x0 (spotter touched about 2'' from lockout because I slowed down but I'd have had it anyways)
    Fat Bar Bench (no clue how much the bar weighs exactly, but it's heavier than a normal bar) work up to bar+30x5. Feels interesting. I like it.
    Did some pullovers on the medX machine buy can't remember the weight used. Feels good for the lats.
    Then did some rotator cuff stuff on the medX machine. I like it.

Need to be careful with my wrists because I didn't use wraps for the fat bar press, so they're feeling a smidge touchy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Every decent gym seems to be colluding their prices at £35 a month.

I'm impressed at your GHRs though. I read a few weeks ago that unless you've done them before you'll very likely not even get one or find it VERY difficult.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought. They were disgustingly hard with only a light band. I suspect that the mid range is the most difficult and even a very light band can break you on that when bodyweight is easy. My calves cramped up like a mother****er. I think they're pretty good fun/they rough up the back a lot less than RDLs and stuff so I'll be keeping them for the moment.

Should probably do more O-lifts now as well. Since I can afford for my frequency to be near daily/have bumpers and Eleiko bars.

On the note of the £35 a month. I think that's just the bare minimum a business like the gym I go to needs to survive. It's a small facility and it can't accomodate loads of members at the best of times anyways...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had a really stupid/****ty session today. Squat stance has gotten too wide so it's pretty much impossible to hit parallel (my squat stance has a tendency to move in and out.)

Press
    20x5 45x5 47.5x4 50x3 52.5x2 55x2
    Close Grip Bench
    20x5 40x2 60x2 75x5 77.5x4 80x3 stopped because there's no way I'm getting any heavier today.
    Squats
    20x5 40x3 60x3 80x2 100x1 110x5 115x4 120x3 125x2 felt **** so left it there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1p8DSxW-Ro
    Wanted a cheap PB so did some trap bar deadlifts (never done before)
    70x3 90x1 110x1 130x1 150x1 160x1 170x1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iqDsbG2Nc
    Sumo Dead
    155x1 (not 13. Jesus, that would have made my day. Typo)

Need a training partner to shout cues at me when I lift. It seems to help for stuff like big chest, big belly, head back etc. Would have made the difference between a good and a ****ty workout. I think.

The plan needs to change because what I'm doing is clearly not working. I'll keep doing 5,4,3,2,1, type stuff for upper body presses and will do 2 sessions with a lot of upper back work. However, the lower body needs a rethink/deload.
    Starting next week:
    Monday
    Cleans: work up to a clean single then do singles with 10% less. Try and reach 10.
    Squats: work up to roughly 80% of max (110kg) for 5x5
    GHRs: a couple of sets of bodyweight/whatever superset with some chins

Tuesday:
    Press: 5,4,3,2,1/Cleans: work up to a clean single then do singles with 10% less. Try and reach 10.
    Close Grip Bench: 5,4,3,2,1
    NB: superset both with face pulls
    1-2 sets of 8 of machine chest/high incline press supersetted with 1-2 sets of MedX row
    Broceps/GHRs/Abs/Rotator Cuff

Wednesday:
    Bench: speed sets, possibly with chains.
    Cleans: work up to a clean single then do singles with 10% less. Try and reach 10.
    More upper back work
    Broceps/GHRs/Abs/Rotator Cuff

Thursday or Friday
    Snatches: work up to a clean single then do singles with 10% less. Try and reach 10.
    Squat: work up to a non maximal/grinding single or so with 3-5 sets of doubles on 10% less
    Sumo DL: work up to to roughly 80% for a set of 5-8. See where this ends up with a little extra weight each week. Aiming to get to 150x8 in 2.5kg jumps (will take 5kg jump for first week only.) Need to be patient.
    GHRs/Chins/Broceps/Abs/Rotator Cuff

Saturday:
    Press: 5,4,3,2,1/Snatches: work up to a clean single then do singles with 10% less. Try and reach 10.
    Bench: 5,4,3,2,1
    Upper Back/Chest accessory work on machines
    Broceps/GHR/Abs/Rotator Cuff
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Had a really stupid/****ty session today. Squat stance has gotten too wide so it's pretty much impossible to hit parallel (my squat stance has a tendency to move in and out.)

Press
    20x5 45x5 47.5x4 50x3 52.5x2 55x2
    Close Grip Bench
    20x5 40x2 60x2 75x5 77.5x4 80x3 stopped because there's no way I'm getting any heavier today.
    Squats
    20x5 40x3 60x3 80x2 100x1 110x5 115x4 120x3 125x2 felt **** so left it there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1p8DSxW-Ro
    Wanted a cheap PB so did some trap bar deadlifts (never done before)
    70x3 90x1 110x1 130x1 150x1 160x1 170x1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iqDsbG2Nc
    Sumo Dead
    155x13

Good form on that 1 rep trap dead bro
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those squats look high.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not hating, but rotate your videos next time you upload them!

Also, i lol'd at the number of plates you used, again, not hating :yy:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.