Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The (Sidetracked) Road to 3/4/5

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I spent 2 years doing BJJ so I'm not particularly tense/hulk smash like most people, which is good. My cardio is just intergalactically bad due to the fact a) I hate it b) I haven't been eating properly and c) I'm just not quite as smooth as I should be. AndI rarely do more than 5 reps anyway.

Keeping up with the Jits?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not since uni, which is about 18 months now. I did gym 6 days a week, thai twice a week, BJJ once a week and wakeskating when I had the money in my last year.. Then when I finished I did nothing until getting into strength training about 4 months ago. Lazy b****** that I am.

Considering getting back into when I start uni again in september though, BJJ and rugby league are both on the cards.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have a better recovery capacity then I do. I can barely recover from 2-3 hard weights sessions and one jits session a week. But then again, I've never been what you might describe as...athletic. My 'natural' bodyweight is probably about 50kg or so. Which means that I find it very easy to lose bodyweight if my eating isn't on the ball.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weird day, odd sleep, not eating enough etc.
    Snatches
    worked up to 50. Felt heavy
    Clean
    60x1 not great
    DL
    work up to 140x5,4,3 Felt run over
    Squat
    60x2 80x8 (felt like blacking out so passed on true 20 repper. It'll probably move to bench day.

Went home and did
    Clean and Press
    30x5 35x3 40x3 45x3 50x5 (oddly easy, I like the belt) 55x2 (comfortable)
    Chins
    Curls
    30x8
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bench
    worked up to 77.5x5,5,5 82.5x3 87.5x2
    Squat
    work up to 80x20. I had a ringing sound in my ears and my vision went odd. I think I understand why you can hear Jesus on the last rep according to Rippetoe
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday:
    Clean and Press (strict but belted for top weight)
    30x3 35x3 40x3 45x3 50x5,5,5
    Pretty easy. Will advance in 1kg increments because...it's the press. And has a habit of stalling horrendously. Will hit 2-3x a week. Especially when I don't have a spotter for benching (I have difficulties maintaining an arch with the J-hooks in my gym.)
    Today
    terrible snatches/cleans. Must have had fatigued traps from yesterday
    Deadlift
    Worked up to 140x6,5,6 155x3 (belted only for the last set.)
    pullups and some curls. V. low intensity because I was gone at this stage.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are good days. And then there are days like today...lower back way too fatigued but can't really make the gym till saturday. So had to do the session today.

Clean and Press
    work up to 52.5x5,3
    Squats
    Work up to 110x1 120xfail!? hit the pins at the bottom, lost tightness and felt...gassed
    Some chinups/seated rows
    Smith Decline Bench
    worked up to 115x1. For the lulz.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clean and Press
    work up to 52.5x6,5
    Pendlay Rows
    work up to 57.5x5
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am officially a retard. But a retard who went to a nice gym. Sadly I can't really afford to go there.

Deadlift
    work up to 145x5 (lower back fatigued from the Pendlays, don't ask.)
    Bench
    work up to 80x3,3,3,2,2,2 (very nice Hammer Strength Bench. Felt very solid)
    HS inclines/rows/dumbell benches up to 30x10 pissed about all over the shop with loads of excercises leg pres up to 6 plates a side etcetc
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Squat
    work up to 110x5 120x1 (belted) 125x1
    Bench
    work up to 80x3
    Pullups 5x5
    HS bench
    work up to 35kg per side
    Really like this
    Seated Curls
    12.5x10,8,6

Eleiko bars are absolutely awesome. Seriously, it makes such a difference to have a decent bar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Squat
    work up to 110x5 120x1 (belted) 125x1
    Bench
    work up to 80x3
    Pullups 5x5
    HS bench
    work up to 35kg per side
    Really like this
    Seated Curls
    12.5x10,8,6

Eleiko bars are absolutely awesome. Seriously, it makes such a difference to have a decent bar.
    Yeah I once had a powerlifter in my gym tell me that. How exactly does the bar make such a difference though?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some flex in the bar helps to reduce the range of motion when you're deadlifting. Better knurling makes it easier to grip, especially in conjunction with chalk. The bar in question is a bit thinner so a hook grip doesn't brutalise my thumbs (too badly.) In the case of the Olympic lifts, the bar rotates properly, which means it's less likely to do your shoulder in. Those are the generalised differences to me.

Clean and Press
    Work up to 52.5x5,4
    Deadlift
    work up to 145x5,4 (yes, I am a retard.)
    Seated Curls
    Hanging Leg Raises
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I love the Eleiko bar for pulls. Not so much for squats. I don't like the whippiness when you're walking out with 140kg.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? I can barely feel it... mind im light front squatting... heaviest back I did was 140 on it and didn't notice it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You used the Eleiko for squats? I thought you hadn't used it?

I suppose I just notice the bar more because it's thinner and digs in more than the thicker bars. Just makes me more aware of it, but I'm sure one would get accustomed to it quickly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah always for front squats. Always. Just feels better... dunno why, its only like 2mm difference or sth lol. Yeah I'm not sure I make it whip much... or if I do I don't notice.

Neways whats your best back squat atm?? I'll try catching it with front squat after russian squat routine... after current smolov cycle is done.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I barely noticed the difference when squatting. There are only 3 bars at the gym I currently go to: an Eleiko, an Ivanko and some ***** bar that doesn't seem to flex properly at all. It's not super whippy at the kind of weight I'm using so I think it's ok. The squats felt pretty ok considering my lack of heavy-ish squatting lately. The bar did have some disturbing whip/flex when I saw a guy squat c.200kg though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are those competition or training bars? Some flex more than others I guess... its gangster when it flexes loads.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    28mm barbells are soooo much better for deadlifting.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't squatted since June. And I did an easy 140kg, but failed 150kg (which I'd done previously). I probably won't be training again until September, which sucks. But hopefully I'll have set up my home gym and I'll be training hardcore then.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.