Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The (Sidetracked) Road to 3/4/5

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I presume it's a training bar because the flex isn't insane but I'm not sure: I will ask.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A nifty complex of behind the neck jerks, overhead squats and good mornings to warm up
    20x7 30x5 40x3 50x3
    Squats
    60x5 70x3 80x3 90x1 100x2 110x7 120x3 (belted) 130x2
    Power Curl
    30x5 40x3 50x3 60x3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    good stuff
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just missed a 95kg bench. Very annoyed. 90kg was pretty fast so it's slightly irritating. Haven't been eating properly.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift
    worked up to 160xfail 150x4
    some curls and other misc crap
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clean and Press
    10x1 with 55kg on the minute
    Pullups

Quite winded. But my fitness is terrible. Going to try something similar with squats tomorrow to mix it up.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    push pressed 60 for a few reps.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Overhead Squat, Good Morning, Behind the back jerk complex
    20x8 30x5 40x3 50x3 60x1
    Back Squat
    70x3 80x3 90x2 100x1 110x1 115x7 125x2 130x1 135xfail
    Dumbell Rows
    12x5 16x5 20x5 24x3 28x3 32x3 36x3 38x3 40x3 42x3
    Chin ups and 16kg kettlebell swings as a finisher
    Seated Rows
    Squats 120x1,1,1,1,1 125x2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why you are doing so many sets of squats with only 1 rep? This seems very pointless to me, though you have a good range of excercises. What is your form like on cleans and snatches?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it is about walking out a decently heavy weight. I find it difficult to stay tight while walking out heavy weights. Lighter weights that I could do for more reps wouldn't cut it for that purpose. Think of it as technique practice. My technique on cleans and snatches is ok. No power reverse curling or anything like that, but my triple extension isn't exactly fantastic. I also don't have the technique to squat clean or snatch either. I just use power variants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wait you mean walking out the rack tires you? What?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    A lot of it is about walking out a decently heavy weight. I find it difficult to stay tight while walking out heavy weights. Lighter weights that I could do for more reps wouldn't cut it for that purpose.
    I am not sure what you mean but you at least wanna be doing 25 reps of squats excluding your warm up? Would it not be better to lower the weight and do say 8 reps?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zcomputer5)
    I am not sure what you mean but you at least wanna be doing 25 reps of squats excluding your warm up? Would it not be better to lower the weight and do say 8 reps?
    Not for strength gains, no.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    wait you mean walking out the rack tires you? What?
    It's not tiring per se, my set up is just a bit sloppy. The best way to work on that is by walking out and doing lots of squats, which is best served by conservative singles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodkat)
    Not for strength gains, no.
    I never said for strength gains but working with such light weight it doesn't make much difference.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've always stalled quite quickly when working in the higher rep ranges (except for breathing squats.) That and I just like the lower rep ranges. I'm letting my reps climb for my working sets, but my volume tolerance is terrible so this is working...for now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never said for strength gains but working with such light weight it doesn't make much difference.
    What do you mean? Weights aren't bad at all given he's a light guy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brooks Kubik (Dinosaur Training) and Jamie Lewis (Chaos and Pain) are both quite strong (Kubik 137kg push press, can't find Lewis' Youtube account but his deadlift is over 600lbs), if insane, people who advocate multiple heavy singles. While I'm not saying you should emulate their programming, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of multiple sets of heavy singles.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    What do you mean? Weights aren't bad at all given he's a light guy.
    I mean that perhaps, for a powerlifter who lifts 250kg+ would benefit from doing one set rep maxs. However there is a very high risk of injury doing one rep max and wouldn't recommend it at all. I know what i am talking about as I can lift over 200kg and i have been training for two years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mean that perhaps, for a powerlifter who lifts 250kg+ would benefit from doing one set rep maxs. However there is a very high risk of injury doing one rep max and wouldn't recommend it at all. I know what i am talking about as I can lift over 200kg and i have been training for two years.
    He's not doing 1RMs though. He did several heavy single warmups, then a heavier double.

I agree with you that you shouldn't always do limit singles or doubles. But I don't think that TheBlindMonk is doing that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.