The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
scoobydoo.4
Hey!! im applying for nursing and atm i am on anti depressants have been on them for around 2months maybe more. mm i also self harm but applying for nursing is a big motivator and is helping me to stop.

so im just wondering what is the chances of me getting in!? and what will the occupational health interview be like!?

Catherine x

Well the self-harming may be an issue especially if your still doing it.

The occupational health appointment is just to talk about any problems you have such as mental health issues or physical problems.
They especially like it if you are in a good mental state as the things that you will have to deal with when you come into nursing wont always be pleasant!

I would concentrate on yourself first - in getting better. And maybe you can start writing your personal statement and start your UCAS application so it will give you more of an incentive to get well.
Reply 2
Do they have full access to your health records? Because I was referred to cognitive behavioural therapy a little while ago but haven't yet sorted it (I was referred when I was still at home but didn't have time before moving to uni and haven't got around to sorting it out up here) and I'm wondering whether it will look worse if I have a referral but haven't attended yet or if I'm in the middle of it?

I am attending counselling at the moment but I opted into that myself with Brook youth services, so there wasn't any medical reason for it. There wasn't really any medical reason for the CBT referral either, my GP just thought it would be useful for me and I'd respond well to it.
Just wondering whether it's vital that I tell them and whether there's any reason for them to find out if I chose not to tell them.
Reply 3
Kelcatuk
Do they have full access to your health records? Because I was referred to cognitive behavioural therapy a little while ago but haven't yet sorted it (I was referred when I was still at home but didn't have time before moving to uni and haven't got around to sorting it out up here) and I'm wondering whether it will look worse if I have a referral but haven't attended yet or if I'm in the middle of it?

I am attending counselling at the moment but I opted into that myself with Brook youth services, so there wasn't any medical reason for it. There wasn't really any medical reason for the CBT referral either, my GP just thought it would be useful for me and I'd respond well to it.
Just wondering whether it's vital that I tell them and whether there's any reason for them to find out if I chose not to tell them.

If I was you i'd tell them! Because I think they can find out through your doctor anyway. There's no reason to hide it - it shows that you are getting help for your problems.
They ask you lots of questions about your mental health in the OH appointment so it would be silly to lie and for it to come out later.
Reply 4
Holamigo
If I was you i'd tell them! Because I think they can find out through your doctor anyway. There's no reason to hide it - it shows that you are getting help for your problems.
They ask you lots of questions about your mental health in the OH appointment so it would be silly to lie and for it to come out later.

Yeah, true enough. I don't think I ever would have lied about it, I just worry about it being an issue :frown: I will get the CBT started soon so I when it gets to the OH appointment I can tell them what fantastic progress I'm making :smile:
I'm in the same position :smile: I mentioned that I'd suffered with depression for a few years at the interveiw but didn't say anymore. At the occupational health I will probably go into more detail.. about self harm, I don't know..apparently MIND suggest you don't tell your emplyers about self harm but I'm not sure if that could apply too nursing.. I'm interested to hear what people think about this too.
Reply 6
musicmad123
I'm in the same position :smile: I mentioned that I'd suffered with depression for a few years at the interveiw but didn't say anymore. At the occupational health I will probably go into more detail.. about self harm, I don't know..apparently MIND suggest you don't tell your emplyers about self harm but I'm not sure if that could apply too nursing.. I'm interested to hear what people think about this too.

It's a difficult one, I used to rely heavily on self harm but I don't anymore, although I occasionally "fall off the wagon" (as my counsellor put it). I've never told previous employers about it even when it was more serious and I don't feel a need to now especially as the few occasions when I do slip up my self-harm is really very minor. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, and normally I can stick to more orthodox methods, but if occasionally I slip into old habits I don't feel I should be punished for it.
If asked then I wouldn't have a problem admitting that I used to, and if asked directly about the current situation then I probably wouldn't lie, but I'd feel no need to openly discuss the details. Personally I'd be more worried about eating issues as I know from experience how they can effect your personality and obviously your energy levels, I'd really find it hard to go into nursing if I still had problems with eating.
Kelcatuk
It's a difficult one, I used to rely heavily on self harm but I don't anymore, although I occasionally "fall off the wagon" (as my counsellor put it). I've never told previous employers about it even when it was more serious and I don't feel a need to now especially as the few occasions when I do slip up my self-harm is really very minor. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, and normally I can stick to more orthodox methods, but if occasionally I slip into old habits I don't feel I should be punished for it.
If asked then I wouldn't have a problem admitting that I used to, and if asked directly about the current situation then I probably wouldn't lie, but I'd feel no need to openly discuss the details. Personally I'd be more worried about eating issues as I know from experience how they can effect your personality and obviously your energy levels, I'd really find it hard to go into nursing if I still had problems with eating.

I'd certainly reccomend telling them the full details and your past history, they're not there to judge but there to help if this problem arises in the future. On top of this, failing to declare such an issue (especially when working in a highly emotional environment and with vulnerable members of the public) it's very likely if you get found out your place on the course will be lost- if this happened as a qualified nurse, i think i'm correct in believing its illegal?
Reply 8
I don't think it's illegal but could certainly cause someone's place to be lost if they don't tell the truth. I'm sure there was something on the OH form that said something along the lines like: make sure all the information on the form is true and not telling/lying could result in losing your place on the course.

So I wouldn't hold back a thing if I was you...They are wanting to know for your own benefit. Imagine when you get into nursing and you cant cope with the stress or the emotional side and you decide to self harm again! They are there to help people like that and to make sure that they have the right support available!
also for some self harmers the mandatory bare below the elbow policies could prove 'interesting'
Holamigo
I don't think it's illegal but could certainly cause someone's place to be lost if they don't tell the truth. I'm sure there was something on the OH form that said something along the lines like: make sure all the information on the form is true and not telling/lying could result in losing your place on the course.

So I wouldn't hold back a thing if I was you...They are wanting to know for your own benefit. Imagine when you get into nursing and you cant cope with the stress or the emotional side and you decide to self harm again! They are there to help people like that and to make sure that they have the right support available!

I think it is..not declaring informatuion which could affect you or your patients in an emotional and physical manner, i've heard stories about people being charged, or atleast struck off from the MMC- it shows a lack of honesty.
Reply 11
Subcutaneous
I think it is..not declaring informatuion which could affect you or your patients in an emotional and physical manner, i've heard stories about people being charged, or atleast struck off from the MMC- it shows a lack of honesty.

I suppose I hadn't thought about it in that way. How likely is it that having a "history" will effect my chances of getting a place if I've never been diagnosed with anything?
Kelcatuk
I suppose I hadn't thought about it in that way. How likely is it that having a "history" will effect my chances of getting a place if I've never been diagnosed with anything?

They may well do an asessment, and get references from your GP, psychotherapist, people who have worked with you to deem you are of sound mind, and safe to yourself and others
Reply 13
Subcutaneous
They may well do an asessment, and get references from your GP, psychotherapist, people who have worked with you to deem you are of sound mind, and safe to yourself and others

That's cool. My counsellor is really positive about my decision to do nursing and says I'm "self-aware" enough that none of my previous issues should be a problem for me. They never affected my work as a HCA and my GP was never concerned enough to do anything more than refer me to CBT because I "might find it useful" so I think so long as they actually looked in depth at my personality rather than taking history on face value it shouldn't be a problem.
With the Cardiff interview in 2 weeks it's just starting to worry me is all :s-smilie:
How likely is it that occupational health won't pass your health check if you self harm, would it be in serious cases to be rejected because of it?
starryeyed.
How likely is it that occupational health won't pass your health check if you self harm, would it be in serious cases to be rejected because of it?

I think it is taken seriously- as it's determental to YOU and your patients too (ie infection control)

Any history of mental health is never taken lightly in OH checks
Subcutaneous
I think it is taken seriously- as it's determental to YOU and your patients too (ie infection control)

Any history of mental health is never taken lightly in OH checks

What if im free from self harm, I know I would still have to declare it and they would question it, but would it be taken as seriously as if I was still self harming?
starryeyed.
What if im free from self harm, I know I would still have to declare it and they would question it, but would it be taken as seriously as if I was still self harming?

Not as serious, but they'd want to make sure you can handle any triggers, what they can do to accomodate and how at risk you are, and why you self harmed too can occasionally be a factor (ie dealing with loss, bereavement etc)
Subcutaneous
Not as serious, but they'd want to make sure you can handle any triggers, what they can do to accomodate and how at risk you are, and why you self harmed too can occasionally be a factor (ie dealing with loss, bereavement etc)

Ahh ok, thank you :smile:
Reply 19
scoobydoo.4
Hey!! im applying for nursing and atm i am on anti depressants have been on them for around 2months maybe more. mm i also self harm but applying for nursing is a big motivator and is helping me to stop.

so im just wondering what is the chances of me getting in!? and what will the occupational health interview be like!?

Catherine x

My friend in my class has a history of self harm and takes anti-depressants and it never went against her.

Make sure you do tell them and are completely honest about it and you should be fine.

I'm glad to hear that it's helping you to stop :smile:

Latest