The Student Room Group

Anyone know good books toread up on investment, finance, shares, markets, bonds etc?

Hi, im looking for some really good books that can basically teach me as much as i can possibly learn about shares, bonds, markets, currencies and other investment segments?

Ive been browsing on the Financial Times, Prentice Hall website at the books they do but there are sooooooooooo many! Im ideally looking at books that can give me an insight into trading as well, so i might have a go at FOREX or something similar.

Im not after books that describe the lifestyle of an investment banker as i roughy know what thats like.

Many thanks

Melbourne
Reply 1
You can find enough stuff on the web to get a general view into different markets. Then if you're interested in an area, then you can go into more details e.g. tech analysis, strategies..etc, where you may start finding many different books useful.

I finished Dr Elder's 'Come Into My Trading Room' a while ago. V. gd book. I'd recommend you to read this first :wink:

However, as I said, there's alot of info in the web, millions of trading e-books / forums to keep you busy for a while =o In fact, I have got a few - pm/msn me.
Reply 3
melbourne
Hi, im looking for some really good books that can basically teach me as much as i can possibly learn about shares, bonds, markets, currencies and other investment segments?

Ive been browsing on the Financial Times, Prentice Hall website at the books they do but there are sooooooooooo many! Im ideally looking at books that can give me an insight into trading as well, so i might have a go at FOREX or something similar.

Im not after books that describe the lifestyle of an investment banker as i roughy know what thats like.

Many thanks

Melbourne

Hmmm there is a standard options, derivatives book (forgot the name that is worthwhile reading) however if you presist to be interested in FOREX, the best is to get a feel of it yourself in the virtual trading room dude=P

you can message in the msn about the books interest you and i'll pin point you then if i think they are good (i just can't remember them as i haven't touch them yet, going to be my next year studies module the economics of FOREX.
Reply 4
www.ibtalk.com has some reading advice on the site
Reply 5
Hey these sites should help

http://www.investopedia.com/
provides everything you could probably think of to do with investing in layman's terms..... Ok well they provide a dictionary at least.

smartmoney.com
gd 4 info on current market events etc. Also has excellent tools such as...get this the worlds first ever market map! Also has some great sector charts on the select package...but u have 2 pay 4 it. They really help u get a feel of the current market though.....stage in the economic cycle etc.

http://www.domini.com/Social-Screening/creation_maintenance.doc_cvt.htm
In case you have a conscience, and want to invest in companies that actually protect the interests of the environment and society etc. You don't have to join their mutual fund just copy and paste the companies they have on their index.

I'd also recommend raiding the Metro (that free newspaper you get on the tube) they usually have ads 4 free investment conferences. I went to one by a guy called Darren winters....WIN Investment. Just saw the add in the newspaper and went out of curiousity. I'd recommend attending one of his conference's if you can, would suggest you went without your credit card though, because even though the links i've provided are more than enough, it's very easy to get coaxed into signing up for a extension conference that cost a bomb, and 2 b quite frank u don't need!

Nehoo....let me know how it all goes, if u r plannin on trading that is.
Reply 6
oh btw...investopedia has a trading simulator and Amrad's right....you should try that first.

Latest

Trending

Trending