The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Maths and Econ is part of the Maths department. Last year the Maths department received ~1600 applications, of which about 1500 were given the typical Maths offer (this year it is AAA and a 2 at AEA/STEP, including Maths and Further Maths).

Getting the offer should be quite simple with any good GCSE results, predicted grades and a competent personal statement, but meeting the offer can be more difficult. 550 UK students firmed Warwick and probably less than half met their AEA/STEP offer.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
TheTallOne
Maths and Econ is part of the Maths department. Last year the Maths department received ~1600 applications, of which about 1500 were given the typical Maths offer (this year it is AAA and a 2 at AEA/STEP, including Maths and Further Maths).

Getting the offer should be quite simple with any good GCSE results, predicted grades and a competent personal statement, but meeting the offer can be more difficult. 550 UK students firmed Warwick and probably less than half met their AEA/STEP offer.

I just realised this thread was moved. My gcse's weren't spectacular. I got 1 A* 2 A's 4 b's and a C & D
puma21
I just realised this thread was moved. My gcse's weren't spectacular. I got 1 A* 2 A's 4 b's and a C & D

Well, as long as you got an A*/A in Maths (and Economics, if you did it) then you are still in for a shot. Getting AAA (or higher) predicted grades will certainly help your cause and I would say that getting AAA predicted in a necessity for you to have a good chance. Other than that, a passionate PS about why you want to do Maths/Economics at university will also help. Start thinking about your PS in the summer after your exams and get a couple of drafts done in July/August so that you can get as many people to go over it (eg on TSR's PS helper forum, parents, teachers, etc) and give it to your tutor for feedback in early September so that you then send off your application ASAP. Warwick were giving offers out in October this year.
As the course is ran by the Maths department, as long as you are predicted an A in A-level Maths when you apply, you will get the standard offer (this year it was 2 in STEP/merit in AEA, then AAA including A2 FM or A*AA with an A* in A2 Maths A in AS FM) unless there's something really wrong with some other bit of your application. However only a minority of people actually make the offer, usually due to underestimating STEP/AEA - start practicing them as soon as you can.
Reply 5
The course can be taxing so be prepared in advance. I did the same course and didn't perform very well - reason I found the course waayyyy hard, lack of pre - preparation !!

Latest