The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,
I have had MRIs before. Basically it just involves you laying down on a bed kinda thing and going into a sortof tunnel-it is quite small. You can't move or it will mess up the results and take longer. They often let you listen to music whilst you are in it. The machine makes kinda odd banging noises-its really weird at first but nothing to worry about, and the music helps to cover it up! It lasts about half an hour to an hour I think, although I guess it probably depends on what they are scanning. It's really not too bad-if you are a bit nervous or have something like claustrophobia you can tell the people on the day and hopefully they will try and help and make it seem less scary! You'll be fine-one of my friends has fallen asleep in them :biggrin:
Hope this helps-any questions i'll try and answer them!
Reply 2
What part of your body are you having scanned?

I had an MRI scan on my hand/wrist so did not experience going fully into the machine. I was laid on my front kind of in a superman pose so did not have that claustrophobic feeling. The machine is like a tunnel and like the previous poster said; lots of banging noises. Although,:redface: I fell dropped off to sleep for a while doing mine as I in a comfy position.
I have them routinely and there not too bad, just get a bit boring (I have them of my spine so take about 45 minutes -1 hour). The noises are pretty weird and loud, they are how I'd imagine a submarine or ship alarm is lol and loads of different banging noises. Like someone said above me you can't move while it's scanning, but when it momentarily stops making the noises, usually for a couple of seconds every so often, you can flex your arms and legs. Also there's usually a mirror inside, angled so that you can see out, but I think it depends if you go all the way in. Might help if your claustrophobic??
LondonMinx
What part of your body are you having scanned?

I had an MRI scan on my hand/wrist so did not experience going fully into the machine. I was laid on my front kind of in a superman pose so did not have that claustrophobic feeling. The machine is like a tunnel and like the previous poster said; lots of banging noises. Although,:redface: I fell dropped off to sleep for a while doing mine as I in a comfy position.

Mine's on my wrist too, so hopefully I'll be able to get comfortable :o:

Thank you all of you for the replies, some rep is on the way :smile: x
I've had one on my wrist and one on my neck/shoulder. I think they are really nice, I fell asleep both times. The banging is really loud and if you aren't expecting it then it would be pretty scary but it's not that bad really. It sounds like someone is doing some heavy building work next door. Don't worry about it. :smile:
I've had about 10 on my head this year: Its like being inside a giant washing machine. If you're lying on your back, it's actually very easy to fall asleep. Can take up to 1hr 30m.

If its on your wrist, you probably wont actually enter the machine very far. I wouldn't have thought it would take very long either.
GodspeedGehenna
I've had about 10 on my head this year: Its like being inside a giant washing machine. If you're lying on your back, it's actually very easy to fall asleep. Can take up to 1hr 30m.

If its on your wrist, you probably wont actually enter the machine very far. I wouldn't have thought it would take very long either.

Just out of interest: Whats wrong with your head? :woo:

Or has it something to do with your Unicourse?
patientology
Just out of interest: Whats wrong with your head? :woo:

Or has it something to do with your Unicourse?

Our department has a fMRI scanner. It's all in the name of science :yep:
Reply 9
GodspeedGehenna
Our department has a fMRI scanner. It's all in the name of science :yep:

That is so cool...!
PeeWeeDan
That is so cool...!

Yeah it's pretty sweet. It consumes a ridiculous amount of energy and money just to keep it cool. It brings in a lot of research money for our department though.

Participants are paid £15/hr, so its a nice way to earn a bit of pocket money too.
Reply 11
ChopinNocturne
Hi all :smile:

I was wondering if anyone who has had an MRI scan for whatever reason could tell me about the procedure? I have one next week and I'm really scared as I don't know what's going to be happening, so knowing what's going to be going on would be a real comfort.

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me,

ChopinNocturne x

Don't read this if you are getting dye injected into the joint, please!

Hi. I have practically lived in one of those machines. I have gotten a fair number of my head, one of my shoulder, and one of my knee (last week :rolleyes: )
Not a problem, unless you get the dye.

That @£$%$%^ dye was the worst thing to ever happen to me. I still literallu have nightmares about it. A year ago I got my shoulder MRIed and had to get dye injected into the joint. (I am still getting shaky and nauseous typing this). When I got my knee done last week, they had to turn off the machine right after it started cos I began to hyperventilate and shake. That dye was a bad thing for me.

But unless you have the dye, they are a peace of cake and honestly lots of fun!
Good luck!

Note: If you are getting the dye, make sure they double up the anaesthetic before they start and do NOT look at the needle. So so sorry if you are getting the dye and read this.
Stella476
Don't read this if you are getting dye injected into the joint, please!

Hi. I have practically lived in one of those machines. I have gotten a fair number of my head, one of my shoulder, and one of my knee (last week :rolleyes: )
Not a problem, unless you get the dye.

That @£$%$%^ dye was the worst thing to ever happen to me. I still literallu have nightmares about it. A year ago I got my shoulder MRIed and had to get dye injected into the joint. (I am still getting shaky and nauseous typing this). When I got my knee done last week, they had to turn off the machine right after it started cos I began to hyperventilate and shake. That dye was a bad thing for me.

But unless you have the dye, they are a peace of cake and honestly lots of fun!
Good luck!

Note: If you are getting the dye, make sure they double up the anaesthetic before they start and do NOT look at the needle. So so sorry if you are getting the dye and read this.

:s-smilie:
I've had one on my brain... I didn't feel comfortable in the regular MRI machine.. so was reschedules for an Open MRI a couple of weeks later, which isn't as bad as the tunnel (it's a bit like a sandwich toaster, you can see out of the sides!)

The dye was pretty weird... I could feel it running out of my ears and thought I was bleeding! haha!

But yea.. you can take in music with you, which helps a lot :smile: and you get a little button to press for help!

Good luck! :smile:
ChopinNocturne
Hi all :smile:

I was wondering if anyone who has had an MRI scan for whatever reason could tell me about the procedure? I have one next week and I'm really scared as I don't know what's going to be happening, so knowing what's going to be going on would be a real comfort.

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me,

ChopinNocturne x

I'm having one on my wrist next week for a ?scaphoid fracture. Had it done last year as well for the same thing (I'm just kinda accident prone) and it's nothing to be worried about. It's just a giant white donut and they slot you through the hole up to your chest, so my head was outside the machine. I had a plastic block around my wrist and that was just placed on my abdomen. You do have to lay still or it ruins the images. I didn't think it was that noisy, it's just a banging noise and they give you ear plugs or headphones.

If you're a girl, remember not to wear a bra!!! Or at least wear a sports one. It's a giant magnet, so no piercings, glasses, or bra underwires/hooks, etc.
They are fine trust me ive had about 5 or 6 most of them admittedly i dont remember. It made my head feel hot and kind of funny. If something does happen or you want to get out they can have u out in seconds - believe me.
I was all the way in for my knee, last tiem i had one i was absolutley freezing to death for 30 mins, so maybe take a jumper.
I had one for my brain. It will take longer than you think, though someone will obviously talk you through it before you have it. Try and remain relaxed as if you keep still, you get better results. I found the worse thing was the realisation that I needed an MRI :/ good luck though!
The one on your wrist should only take about 15 mins. I had a spine one and it only took 25 mins, even though they said an hour on the letter!
I'm having one on my belly in a few weeks time and I'm kinda worried as well lol. I've had a CT scan which was no bother but the MRI seems scarier

Latest