The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Advice For Freshers Starting In Sept 2010?

Hi everyone!

Hope this thread has some success. From what i've seen it either does or it doesnt. I'll get the ball rolling, I am a mature :s-smilie: (22) male going to be starting in sept 2010 for a marketing foundation year at MMU and i just wanted to get a bit of feedback from anyone in their 2nd or 3rd or even 4th year of uni on what there is on offer for freshers? I know there is a substantial amount of alcohol involved but what about being a fresher itself?

With the benefit of hindsight....

What advice would you give someone starting university in sept?
What do you wish you had done or did do that you wish you hadn't?
How does a newbie get the most out of their 1st year?

Let the mayhem begin!

Thanks. x
Reply 1
Start meeting people ASAP, dont hide away at all.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
1. Go to all Bar hopping events,
2. Go to the freshers fair, there's so much free stuff up for grabs
3. Study! Don't fall behind
4. At all these events, don't shy away. Talk to everyone!
5. Figure out what's available at the Uni.
Reply 3
i started at UoM last year and had to leave for personal reasons. Ill be going to MMU in september. from my experience last year I agree with the meeting everyone. I have to say I didnt and I regret it. I still made friends but not closely. My advice would be to sign up to a few societies at the freshers fair, even if you change your mind its fine, you have the chance to meet like minded people. Id even suggest signing up for something you dont normally do activity-wise, it will help improve your confidence in yourself and let you get to know other people.

My other piece of advice would be to watch how much you spend, I spent quite a lot in my first few weeks last year and regretted it afterwards ^^
Reply 4
Basic advice from my experience:

Get to know as many people as you can
Just go for it, don't be shy
Go to all your lectures - you will make lots of friends
Make friends with your lecturers (if you can) as it makes it a lot easier if you have a problem
Make friends with other flats!
Go out as much as you can

That's it basically
tcrewe21
Hi everyone!

Hope this thread has some success. From what i've seen it either does or it doesnt. I'll get the ball rolling, I am a mature :s-smilie: (22) male going to be starting in sept 2010 for a marketing foundation year at MMU and i just wanted to get a bit of feedback from anyone in their 2nd or 3rd or even 4th year of uni on what there is on offer for freshers? I know there is a substantial amount of alcohol involved but what about being a fresher itself?

With the benefit of hindsight....

What advice would you give someone starting university in sept?
What do you wish you had done or did do that you wish you hadn't?
How does a newbie get the most out of their 1st year?

Let the mayhem begin!

Thanks. x

:woo: mmu!
im doing a foundation year as well in sept :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending