The Student Room Group

Would England be better off independent?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Howard
Brown is a Scot and Blair was educated there which is good enough to earn permanent exile in my book.

Both Brown and Blair are Scottish.
Blair was born in Edinburgh...
Teaddict

I'm glad you've shown your ignorance yet again.

Blair's dad and his parents is/were English.

Blair's mother and her parents is/were Irish.

He's not Scottish.
rajandkwameali
This may seem an odd question, but how is Scottish/English citizenship determined, if both become independent/sovereign?

If one has a Scottish mum or dad (which presumably millions of English people may), then would they be entitled to Scottish citizenship? Could a Scottish person living in England for 40 years be entitled to English citizenship? Or vice versa?

It is determined by your grandparents nationalities or if you've lived in x country for 4-5 years(i.e if you're a Scot and hve lived in London for 4-5 years then you could become English).
Reply 63
Stalin
I'm glad you've shown your ignorance yet again.

Blair's dad and his parents is/were English.

Blair's mother and her parents is/were Irish.

He's not Scottish.

How is it ignorance?
Was Blair born in Scotland? Yes he was.

Oh wow the ignorance of fact is so alarming.

I was adding to Howards comment - he claimed because he was educated in Scotland he may as well be - that he was also born there.

Also, does he have to have Scottish parents to be Scottish? Sounds a bit ethnic-argument to me...
Reply 64
Stalin
It is determined by your grandparents nationalities or if you've lived in x country for 4-5 years(i.e if you're a Scot and hve lived in London for 4-5 years then you could become English).

So is that the law, or just something you made up?

You may feel culturally Scottish, or become culturally English (I was born in England to an English family, but feel culturally Welsh having lived here all my life), but at the end of the day, you're legally BRITISH. Any lesser distinction than that is a purely cultural identification which has no legal standing. Your nationalist instincts have no basis in law yet, Stalin, not until Scotland does become independent (if ever).
Carl

You may feel culturally Scottish, or become culturally English (I was born in England to an English family, but feel culturally Welsh having lived here all my life), but at the end of the day, you're legally BRITISH. Any lesser distinction than that is a purely cultural identification which has no legal standing. Your nationalist instincts have no basis in law yet, Stalin, not until Scotland does become independent (if ever).

Why do I even bother when you're clearly unable to read, I was answering to someone's imaginary scenario, whereby, if England became independent he/she wanted to know if he/she could become Scottish and how the nationality would be determined, if you had, say Scottish and English parents.

It's the law, if a Frenchman wants to become English, he'd have to live in England for 4-5 years. In this scenario we're imagining that England is independent, thus making the nationality English and not British.
Teaddict
How is it ignorance?
Was Blair born in Scotland? Yes he was.

Oh wow the ignorance of fact is so alarming.

I was adding to Howards comment - he claimed because he was educated in Scotland he may as well be - that he was also born there.

Also, does he have to have Scottish parents to be Scottish? Sounds a bit ethnic-argument to me...

It doesn't matter where he's born.

His parents were English/Irish and his grandparents were English/Irish, thus making him British or Irish, however, if Scotland or England became independent, he'd have to live in Scotland for 4-5 years in order to become a a Scottish citizen.
Carl

Presumably, anyone living in pre-partition Britain, or with parents/grandparents living in pre-partition Britain, would be eligible for either/both Scottish or/and English nationality. I'm sure that's the deal with Ireland, or at least part of it. Although anyone living in the North can apply for Irish citizenship, I, living in Scotland/England or Wales could apply for Irish citizenship on the basis of having parents/grandparents living in pre-partition Ireland.
Reply 68
Stalin
It doesn't matter where he's born.

His parents were English/Irish and his grandparents were English/Irish, thus making him British or Irish, however, if Scotland or England became independent, he'd have to live in Scotland for 4-5 years in order to become a a Scottish citizen.

Surely that would be for the newly independent Scottish Parliament to decide wouldn't it?

Where does this 4-5 year rule come from?
Howard
Surely that would be for the newly independent Scottish Parliament to decide wouldn't it?

Where does this 4-5 year rule come from?

Indeed it would be, but this is the likliest of scenarios.

From personal experience.
Reply 70
Stalin
Indeed it would be, but this is the likliest of scenarios.

From personal experience.

I wouldn't recipricate. I'd find every single person of Scots heritage (back to great grandparents), revoke their British citizenship, sieze all their assets, and send them into exile north of the border.

I would build a new Hadrian's wall complete with mines, acres of barbed wire, and machine gun nests every 100 yards to keep the Scots out of England's green and pleasent land. And I'd hang Gordon Brown and his Scots cabinet to set an example.
Howard
I wouldn't recipricate. I'd find every single person of Scots heritage (back to great grandparents), revoke their British citizenship, sieze all their assets, and send them into exile north of the border.

I would build a new Hadrian's wall complete with mines, acres of barbed wire, and machine gun nests every 100 yards to keep the Scots out of England's green and pleasent land. And I'd hang Gordon Brown and his Scots cabinet to set an example.

Yes, but you're well known as a bit of a rocket.
Howard

Is your name Kim Il-sung by any chance?
Reply 73
Howard

Sorry, but this just deserved to be quoted...
Reply 74
Stalin
Is your name Kim Il-sung by any chance?

Dear Leader. I'll make England the New Jerusalem.
Reply 75
Celtic_Anthony
Yes, but you're well known as a bit of a rocket.

Nice way of putting it.
Reply 76
Teaddict

Blair wasn't Scottish insofar as he didn't ever describe himself as such. I don't think he saw himself as particularly English either though.
Howard
Dear Leader. I'll make England the New Jerusalem.

So you'll be illegally evicting Scots from their homes in Scotland?
Reply 78
Stalin
So you'll be illegally evicting Scots from their homes in Scotland?

No. I'd build the New Hadrians wall (actually, it'd be called "Howard's Wall") on the actual border - not rebuild the existing one.
Reply 79
L i b
Blair wasn't Scottish insofar as he didn't ever describe himself as such. I don't think he saw himself as particularly English either though.

Unlike Brown who openly declared himself a Scottish prime minister -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending