The Student Room Group

Vietnam

Im doing OCR A2 history coursework on Vietnam and the question is 'Assess the view that the Vietnam war was a pointless, costly failure.'
My teacher says we will have to read lots if we want a good grade.
Does anyone know any books which would be worth looking at?
Any help would be appresiated. Thanks!!:smile:
Reply 1
sparkles28
'Assess the view that the Vietnam war was a pointless, costly failure.'

Military power creates temptation: The excess military power of the US led the nation to become tempted into using its military power in a situation that was peripheral to the national interest

The US should have approached the situation in Vietnam by using diplomacy or even assisting with the reunification of the North and South Vietnam

Many U.S. soldiers who participated in the Vietnam War were draftees instead of an all – volunteer military

By the mid – 1960s, Americans began to realize that the direction of the war offered little chance of victory and carried a heavy cost in lives and economics

The Vietnam War cost an estimated $347 billion dollars compared to the Revolutionary War ($1 billion), US Civil War ($44 billion), WWI ($197 billion), Korean War ($264 billion) and Persian Gulf War ($61 billion)

Escalating the war by invading North Vietnam might have brought about China’s involvement and increased the cost substantially

The Vietnam War led to deep social divisions within the US – in 1970, four students at Kent State University were killed by the Ohio National Guard during an antiwar demonstration

The unpopular war in Vietnam (which the US Congress had authorized) led to the enactment of the War Powers Resolution (WPR, 1973) to try to rein in the president’s self – claimed war power

By 1969, American troops began to withdraw from Vietnam and all troops were gone by 1973

Ultimately, Vietnam was reunited under Hanoi’s control in 1975

Vietnam increased American (citizens) resistance to the cold war urge to fight communism everywhere

Americans saw more clearly that the bipolar system was coming to an end, especially, as relations between the USSR and China were deteriorating

Source: International Politics on the World Stage by John T. Rourke
I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2

thankyou very much :smile:xxx
Reply 3
sparkles28

You're welcome. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sparkles28

how did ur essay go? i have the same one now - any hints, tips etc. would be greatly appreciated :smile:

cheers
Reply 5
I am also doing this one.. thought it would be a piece of cake, guess A2 history was never going to be anyway. Anyone have any good books.. I have one Vietnam the necessary war, that has some good info in it- Michael Lind is the author.
Reply 6
Hey, there are some pretty good essays that people have uploaded on TSR here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/learning.php?q=vietnam&level%5B%5D=alevel&resource%5B%5D=essay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending