The Student Room Group

Trying to Quit! [smoking of course!]

Good Morning, and in case I don't see you, Good afternoon, Good evening, and Good Night.

Hey, does anyone know how to quit smoking with out the negative side affects while quitting? I mean, I've been smoking for around 5 years now, and I'm sick of it, its costing me too much money! I dont have that kind of money!

Though the main problem with quitting, is not the doing it, its the cravings and the yelling due to lack of nicotine. You can see my posts yelling at NathanL and Howard (Again, I'm sorry) and I can pretty much be nonsensical and an arse with out nicotine, Then all of a sudden I'm sensible after chainsmoking a pack of Marlboro Lights.

Does anyone have any advice? Tried gum or patches? Do they work?

Anything would help a ton,

Wulf
Reply 1
I'm actually on the patches now. I smoked for two years and then gave up successfully for 5months last year but then went back on it. The patches work amazingly as long as you remember to put them on. They releieve the physical cravings but you do miss the action etc. Its bloody hard i won't lie but it works.
I know what you mean about the yelling , i'm really horrid when i don't wear patches and then i'm straight over the shop for ciggies.
The patches can be got free from your GP if your NHS. You only get one chance to quit (i've been given several as i'm astmatic) but if you stuick to it its worth it. You'll notice the differences within a few days. Its better to at least look into using the smoking clinic through the NHS cos otherwise 7 patches (1week) costs 16.99.....expensive!!!!
Best of luck and if you7 need any help just ask me!!!

xxx
Reply 2
Oh and also my mum uses the nicorette inhalators...they work well too.
Reply 3
Wulf
Good Morning, and in case I don't see you, Good afternoon, Good evening, and Good Night.

Hey, does anyone know how to quit smoking with out the negative side affects while quitting? I mean, I've been smoking for around 5 years now, and I'm sick of it, its costing me too much money! I dont have that kind of money!

Though the main problem with quitting, is not the doing it, its the cravings and the yelling due to lack of nicotine. You can see my posts yelling at NathanL and Howard (Again, I'm sorry) and I can pretty much be nonsensical and an arse with out nicotine, Then all of a sudden I'm sensible after chainsmoking a pack of Marlboro Lights.

Does anyone have any advice? Tried gum or patches? Do they work?

Anything would help a ton,

Wulf

Well I doubt you will be able to completely negate the abstinence problems, but it should definately be possibel to ease the transition by using alternatiev sources of nicotine. There are quite a few internet pages with tips on how to stop smoking ( dunno if they work well tho as I have never smoked myself ). I'll see if I can find anything that looks serious and I'll post the links.
LizzyLizzy
I'm actually on the patches now. I smoked for two years and then gave up successfully for 5months last year but then went back on it. The patches work amazingly as long as you remember to put them on. They releieve the physical cravings but you do miss the action etc. Its bloody hard i won't lie but it works.
I know what you mean about the yelling , i'm really horrid when i don't wear patches and then i'm straight over the shop for ciggies.
The patches can be got free from your GP if your NHS. You only get one chance to quit (i've been given several as i'm astmatic) but if you stuick to it its worth it. You'll notice the differences within a few days. Its better to at least look into using the smoking clinic through the NHS cos otherwise 7 patches (1week) costs 16.99.....expensive!!!!
Best of luck and if you7 need any help just ask me!!!

xxx

Thank you so much, though I do believe that its worth the 16.99 a week if you can actually quit. Is it a system of phasing out the nicotine? I heard you have less and less nicotine each week or something, Im afraid I might go crazy one week and buy a pack or two and I'm hooked all over again.

Wulf
Reply 5
Good luck :smile:
theres so much out there to help you now as well so maybe thatll make it easier. im not a smoker so dont really know exactly how much easier...
Reply 6
Wulf
Thank you so much, though I do believe that its worth the 16.99 a week if you can actually quit. Is it a system of phasing out the nicotine? I heard you have less and less nicotine each week or something, Im afraid I might go crazy one week and buy a pack or two and I'm hooked all over again.

Wulf

Well if you shoudl fail to quit, don't stop trying. My father used to be a smoker and he tried several times before he succeeded.
Reply 7
The physical and mental symptoms are part of withdrawl. Your body is dependent on a drug. Not having that drug isn't going to feel nice. Stick at it though, or be weak and go back to slowly killin yourself :P
Reply 8
-TMG-
Stick at it though, or be weak and go back to slowly killin yourself :P

To be fair , most people who quit smoking take a few tries before they succeed. So yea, hang in there but if you don't suceed the first time, choose a day about two weeks ahead in time, and try again.
What is the general opinion of smokers, I have been lucky, or so I'm told, as not to have been dating a smoker before. Is it a huge turn off? And is it true that smokers' hair smells like smoke, and kissing a smoker is like making out with a cig?

I had all those things said to me by my last girlfriend who, though, was I'm sure a tad bitter about the break up.

Wulf
Will power.
I don't know, I used to think that "everyone " should give up smoking because it was simply bad. BUT in retrospect, I realise that some people should have a fag now and again to keep their temper under control....
You may have to balance it out :P Think about everyone else's wellbeing too if you're ratty when not having a smoke. Sorry this post may sound weird as it's only an observation rather than fact ok?
Its the old chestnut my friend , if at first you don't suceed try again (or destroy all evidence that you tried). Its true you got through 12wks on 16mg patches then down to 10mg then to 4mg i think. Something like that , its a long old process that ideally you should stick to because that will help prevent relapse.
Personally i go on and off smoking a fair bit , sometimes i do sometimes i don't. But the important thing is if you do have a bad day go straight back on it the next day.

(i really would say go to the NHS smoking clinics as they are excellent and they do carbon monoxide tests on you every two weeks to check that you havn't been smoking.....do it!) -go to the nhs direct website and get the contact number they'll tell you were your nearest is. Although alot of chemists do the same service now (all free).

Hope i helped. x

Latest

Trending

Trending