The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tikkitak
Haha this is amazing!
This is why I want to be an anaesthetist!
Although I did get told once that if you could only choose one kind of doctor to treat you, you should choose an anaesthetist. I can't remember the reasoning behind it though! :biggrin:

medicines management knowledge and skill that rivals that of nurse or pharmacist

good resuscitation skills ( in the widest sense)

good pain management skills

and a cracking line in off colour jokes :eek3:
Howard
I always think heart surgeons/consultants should be pompus autocrats like Sir Lancelot Spratt (from the Doctor movies of the 50's-70's) played by James Robertson Justice.

And I also like the idea of doctors being like Hawkeye Pierce from M*A*S*H

:awesome:

zippyRN
medicines management knowledge and skill that rivals that of nurse or pharmacist

Surely not as high as that!
zippyRN

:lolwut:

Is this supposed to be tongue in cheek??

No offence yeah, but I doubt nursing "medicines management knowledge and skill" comes close to FRCA standard:http://frca.co.uk/article.aspx?articleid=95
http://frca.co.uk/article.aspx?articleid=69
digitalis
:lolwut:

Is this supposed to be tongue in cheek??

on the basis of the number of incident forms submitted and the amount of green ink on the average treatment sheet , Doctors are notoriously poor at Medicines Management, as can also be seen on the occasions that Doctors ( other than anaesthetists, Oncologists who do IT chemo and some EM docs ) have to administer medications.
zippyRN
on the basis of the number of incident forms submitted and the amount of green ink on the average treatment sheet , Doctors are notoriously poor at Medicines Management, as can also be seen on the occasions that Doctors ( other than anaesthetists, Oncologists who do IT chemo and some EM docs ) have to administer medications.

Oh fair point, I thought you meant "Medicines: Management, Knowledge and skills" rather than medicines management.

Of course, nurses are far better at this than doctors in general (and I agree the bunch that you mention are probably on par due to the frequency that have to self-administer). :smile:
Reply 45
Dan_Manchester
:p: . What year are you in btw? One of my friends is a second year (first year repeater) at Edge Hill..

First year. :smile:
You may think Derm is easy as a holiday, but it's hard to get into, especially in the US. You ask me why? - no I won't tell you; it's competitive enough to be advertising why. :smile:
Reply 47
916-CALL-TURK
Pretty much sums up my application :rolleyes:

EDIT: THAT WAS A JOKE, BRISTOL ADMISSIONS TUTORS

All the anaestatists I know are Swiss, proficient Guyballers and have a good understanding of degoratory sign language :wink:

:rofl: at the edit
!Dermeister!
You may think Derm is easy as a holiday, but it's hard to get into, especially in the US. You ask me why? - no I won't tell you; it's competitive enough to be advertising why. :smile:

It's competitive because it's a holiday? :teeth:
Phalanges
It's competitive because it's a holiday? :teeth:

That we can keep as a little secret, posted on a public forum. :mmm:
Reply 50
I was told, by a close family friend (also a nurse practicioner) I should become an orthopaedic surgeon because I'm obnoxious.
AAAirz
I was told, by a close family friend (also a nurse practicioner) I should become an orthopaedic surgeon because I'm obnoxious.

Your name suggests vascular surgeon
lekky
:rofl: at the edit

Yeah, got rejected. Can't have gone down well ...

EDIT: YEAH THATS STILL A JOKE, UCL/DURHAM/KINGS/SOTON ADMISSIONS TUTORS
Howard

And I also like the idea of doctors being like Hawkeye Pierce from M*A*S*H

That would be quite awesome
Hmm

Oncology- I'm still to find a female onc consultant who doesn't wear nice flowy dresses and big glasses and hugs everyone she sees lol
Ortho: Mainly male, very tall..macho...rather posh
Anaesthetists: Not met one I've not got on with yet, and I'm working with them in a few weeks for 3 months too- so very excited, I guess some can be a bit sarcastic, very laid back!
Optha: All very odd...and have an odd sense of humour lol On clinic one doctor had a dr who lunchbox with a lunch his wife had made lol

I can't think of any group of doctors I've come across other than those and they all have similar characteristics. However It's the same in nursing, and I reckon its because when you work with people so much you start to copy sayings, quirks, attitudes etc
916-CALL-TURK
Yeah, got rejected. Can't have gone down well ...

EDIT: YEAH THATS STILL A JOKE, UCL/DURHAM/KINGS/SOTON ADMISSIONS TUTORS

lol
Reply 56
Awesome-o
Your name suggests vascular surgeon

the AAA part?

ahahaha

are they all arrogant *******?
AAAirz
the AAA part?

ahahaha

are they all arrogant *******?

He's referring to the AAA, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.
Dermatologists tend to be terrible referees. Just an observation.

Martin Hansson, you know who you are o_O
CheesyPeesy
Dermatologists tend to be terrible referees. Just an observation.

Martin Hansson, you know who you are o_O

But he was a ... firefighter :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending