The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The solution is between 0 and -1. Does that help?

Edit: Oops!
Reply 2
No. :frown:
Do you understand iteration?
Can you make n the subject?
One simple rearrangement will work, the other won't.
Reply 4
Is this degree level? Because if it isn't, you'll just have to use approximation methods. If its degree level its still not a pretty answer, use the lambert w-function on it.
If you want an answer without using a numerical method, the Lambert W function is going to put in an appearance again.
Reply 6
Yeah I think it's third year degree level maths.
You think it is? Don't you know?

Google the Lambert W function and you will see what to do.
Reply 8
log(2)-3n=n

(1/n)log(2)-3n=1

log(2)(-3n)^1/n=1

(-3n)^1/n=2

1/(-3n)^n=2

(-3n)^n=1/2 - Plot this on a graph y= (-3n)^n
y= 1/2
The answer is the x value of the intersection

Sorry for the notation :frown: log(2) means 2 is the base
Reply 9
Long story. I am a first year Economics student and I know a third year Economics student who is friends with a third year Maths student and we have a bet to see who can solve it first. :yep:

So just giving me the answer will suffice.
Mr M you changed your post. I didn't understand why it would be between 0 and 1. Between 0 and -1 does help a bit more though.

Not enough, however.
Crazy Paving
So just giving me the answer will suffice.

Not a chance. You can expect thirty different wrong answers now.
Crazy Paving
Mr M you changed your post. I didn't understand why it would be between 0 and 1. Between 0 and -1 does help a bit more though.

Not enough, however.

Yes I made a typo. The answer is between 0 and -0.5 if that makes you any happier.
How would I go about solving it though? I've tried rearranging, using logs etc and am getting nowhere. :frown:
Crazy Paving
How would I go about solving it though? I've tried rearranging, using logs etc and am getting nowhere. :frown:

Will an approximate answer do? Make 3n the subject and then divide by 3. There is your iterative formula.
So it's just a case of trial and error then?
Crazy Paving
So it's just a case of trial and error then?

Ignore the log method posted above. He's saying you need to use an iterative method, which will invole getting it into the form n=... . Look up iterative methods.
Indeed wizard. I foolishly assumed a first year Economics undergraduate might have taken A Level mathematics but that looks like that might not be the case.
I did do A Level Maths but have forgotten most of it. :ahee:
Should I round it to 4 decimal places?

Latest