The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found it hard because our teacher was sh.it! F'real, he loved me because I was the only person in the class that actually did the work, but he was a selfish git as he didn't mark the 2 pieces of coursework until the last minute and STILL hasn't given us those results, so therefore we went into the exam not sure of what grade we stood at, tuhhh! But yeah, i can grasp History but I find it difficult to write and to create an argument ect, but for some reason I've decided to do it at Alevel, but I may change my mind before then:smile:
Reply 21
I did OCR Modern World History - pretty straightforward, but a lot of work which can get on top of you very easily if you're not careful or if you procrastinate. You do have to revise for it though. If you revise, you will do well. I didn't revise for my year 10 or year 11 mock exams and get B/C in year 10 and C/D in year 11. Then I decided to get some decent revision done, and came out with an A by some miracle. I guess it helped though that the format of the exam was the same every year so I could plan my time out before the exam and to an extent I could make a fairly good guess at what the questions would be. A word of warning though, don't trust your teachers instincts as to what will be on the paper. We'd all been told by our teachers that they were almost certain that the source paper will be on the Liberal Reforms, so we all revised that. Sadly, the exam was on Propaganda In The War :p: so we had to blag our way through that exam, but with a bit of common sense you can get the gist of the topic from the sources. So overall, is it hard? No as long as you do some work :smile:
Reply 22
SlyPie
Translation: I found it to be easy, but then again I already had the abilities needed to do well in the exam. Of course, it was the one subject that needed memorization.

Is it hard? Of course it is; it's demanding. If you suck and blow at verbal (or don't understand what I've written here) then take Geography.

Spurious, but then again I don't teach "kindergarten", so I'll let this one slide.

The Ace is Back
Lol - that's the kind of English everyone should be made to talk

Good grief, no: grandiloquence divests its allure where such wanton gratuity condescends to be the norm; notwithstanding certain, more obvious demerits.
Profesh

Good grief, no: grandiloquence divests its allure where such wanton gratuity condescends to be the norm; notwithstanding certain, more obvious demerits.

I'm not stupid, but I don't understand that. At all. Where do you learn all these words from? It takes me twice as long to read your threads than everyone else's because you have to sit and think about it for a while. Not exactly easy reading for an internet forum site :rolleyes:
Profesh

SlyPie, please translate - Or anyone for that matter
Reply 25
Profesh
Spurious, but then again I don't teach "kindergarten", so I'll let this one slide.

From what I could deduce:

Extravagant language rids of its charm when such extravagance descends to the be the norm. Despite certain, more obvious inadequacies.

Or, even simpler:

If such excessive language becomes the norm, it's no longer alluring because it won't be "special" anymore. Despite certain, more obvious inadequacies.

I must ask this: isn't the point of learning a language so you can communicate with others?
Reply 26
:smile: I really enjoyed GCSE history, i did OCR; germany 1918-1945, Medicine through time and for coursework Northern Ireland and my local area during WW2. i would recommend it, as i really enjoyed it. Be prepared to put in the work and you'll be fine. i got an a* as well which i was really chuffed with, did As this year and i'm hopefully going to start A2 in Sept :smile:
Reply 27
SlyPie
From what I could deduce:

Extravagant language rids of its charm when such extravagance descends to the be the norm. Despite certain, more obvious inadequacies.

Or, even simpler:

If such excessive language becomes the norm, it's no longer alluring because it won't be "special" anymore. Despite certain, more obvious inadequacies.

I must ask this: isn't the point of learning a language so you can communicate with others?

Isn't the purpose of owning a car the ability to traverse from A to B, albeit faster?
Reply 28
Profesh
Isn't the purpose of owning a car the ability to traverse from A to B, albeit faster?

Not necessarily faster, as much as economically cheaper and more efficient than taking care of a horse--or some other form of transportation--and because humans are physically incapable of towing & lugging pounds of baggage everywhere.

:wink:
GCSE History is very, very easy. (in my opinion, of course)
Reply 30
Profesh - have you heard of Arthur Quiller-Couch? Look into him - he would have hated your English; he would have understood it, like I do, but also thought you were a pretentious abuser of over-complex vocabularly and sentence structure.
Reply 31
Urgh - I disliked my History GCSE (OCR Modern World with Russia Depth Study) intensely. I just found it rather trivial and drawn out. I did enjoy Russia, but I missed a chunk of notes, which obviously didn't help my stress with the rest of the syllabus (International relations) which I hated. Also, the British Reforms were dreadful to learn. But the exam went ok, and I'm happy that I never have to pick up a book about the Locarno Treaties again, if I don't want to :smile:.

Maybe's it's just because I'm more of a scientist than a Arty-humanities person :smile:.
Reply 32
SlyPie
Not necessarily faster, as much as economically cheaper and more efficient than taking care of a horse--or some other form of transportation--and because humans are physically incapable of towing & lugging pounds of baggage everywhere.

Aha! So, the humble automobile can serve more than one purpose. Well, now, isn't that a turn up for the books?

whauden
Profesh - have you heard of Arthur Quiller-Couch? Look into him - he would have hated your English; he would have understood it, like I do, but also thought you were a pretentious abuser of over-complex vocabularly and sentence structure.

Auden: look into my post archive; there you are liable to encounter (manifold) my responses to those individuals who would purport to alter the way in which I communicate, that it might conform to some perceived, wholly subjective 'norm'. The more astute among you will also note their concurrent lack of success.

As many of you appear so keen upon re-iterating, ad nauseam: this is merely "an internet forum". Subject to local jurisdiction, I shall (ab)use it to further my own purposes in whatever way I deem fit; excepting said jurisdiction, however, I owe no obligation to anyone. Feel free to exercise your prerogative, as I have done mine, and ignore; nevertheless, I would have you know that for every individual who takes umbrage at my byzantine verbal conglomerations, there shall be another who commends them in equal measure. Quid pro quo, I see no reason to change.

Now, might we cease with the digression, and for once endeavour to remain on-topic? I would be loathed to invoke the wrath of the moderators in lieu of such (albeit well-intentioned) impertinence.
Reply 33
HearTheThunder
GCSE History is very, very easy. (in my opinion, of course)

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of its A-Level counterpart (in my opinion, of course; there are reportedly those who actually enjoy the subject).
Profesh
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of its A-Level counterpart (in my opinion, of course; there are reportedly those who actually enjoy the subject).

I'm taking the A-level counterpart and your reports are correct :rolleyes:
Reply 35
I found the WW1 topic very interesting because I had a very good teacher who didn't make us do too much uneccessary work. But when we did the suffragettes we ended up doing work out of the textbook, clearly because the teacher thought it was as boring as I did!

Unfortunately at A-level I've got that teacher for only half the modules, for the other half I've got the most boring history teacher ever to have walked the earth, seriously.
Reply 36
Profesh
Aha! So, the humble automobile can serve more than one purpose. Well, now, isn't that a turn up for the books?

Auden: look into my post archive; there you are liable to encounter (manifold) my responses to those individuals who would purport to alter the way in which I communicate, that it might conform to some perceived, wholly subjective 'norm'. The more astute among you will also note their concurrent lack of success.

As many of you appear so keen upon re-iterating, ad nauseam: this is merely "an internet forum". Subject to local jurisdiction, I shall (ab)use it to further my own purposes in whatever way I deem fit; excepting said jurisdiction, however, I owe no obligation to anyone. Feel free to exercise your prerogative, as I have done mine, and ignore; nevertheless, I would have you know that for every individual who takes umbrage at my byzantine verbal conglomerations, there shall be another who commends them in equal measure. Quid pro quo, I see no reason to change.

Now, might we cease with the digression, and for once endeavour to remain on-topic? I would be loathed to invoke the wrath of the moderators in lieu of such (albeit well-intentioned) impertinence.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but, sounding clever is not congruent with being clever (just incase you were in a false-pretense whereby you're omniscient because of your adept verb.reasoning skills). You've shown us your copious vocab - but what you've failed to do, is show that you can adjust your use of language, to accomodate for different audiences. How in God's name is a boy who has just finished his KS3 SATs going to make any sense of what you've been saying, without the aid of a thesaurus? And without trying to sound like a patronising bugger, the simple answer is he won't! So, I put your choice of overtly complex language down to a cry for attention and desire for praise (which you're obviously not getting anywhere else, so you thought that a student forum inhabited majorly with 15-18 year-olds would be the best place for you to achieve this). Instead of being intelligent and communicating with this lad on a level he can understand, thus, being of any help, you decide to "show your worth :rolleyes:" as it were, by typing unnecessarily long-winded waffle which no-one really understands... [SARCASM]You're just too brilliant for words, Profesh. :rolleyes:[/SARCASM]
ok i think your use of language is pretty cool Profesh.. very eloqently put! although it may cause some confusion when you want to skim over people's posts at high speed, although surely one it is at liberty to use the language they wish -it asserts a person's identity..

gcse history... i did modern world history and it was fairly ok as long as you knew your facts and dates, and were competent at time management on the sources paper.. the thing i liked about gcse was you had a really diverse range of topics whereas we have a tudor overload at A level
Whizz Kid
Sorry to burst your bubble, but, sounding clever is not congruent with being clever (just incase you were in a false-pretense whereby you're omniscient because of your adept verb.reasoning skills). You've shown us your copious vocab - but what you've failed to do, is show that you can adjust your use of language, to accomodate for different audiences. How in God's name is a boy who has just finished his KS3 SATs going to make any sense of what you've been saying, without the aid of a thesaurus? And without trying to sound like a patronising bugger, the simple answer is he won't! So, I put your choice of overtly complex language down to a cry for attention and desire for praise (which you're obviously not getting anywhere else, so you thought that a student forum inhabited majorly with 15-18 year-olds would be the best place for you to achieve this). Instead of being intelligent and communicating with this lad on a level he can understand, thus, being of any help, you decide to "show your worth :rolleyes:" as it were, by typing unnecessarily long-winded waffle which no-one really understands... [SARCASM]You're just too brilliant for words, Profesh. :rolleyes:[/SARCASM]

Are you incapable of seeing the funny side? I know you have a problem with snobs etc as you quite clearly made out with your statement about never having heard of Eton before (yeah, right) as you prefer not to concern yourself with snobs/royalty - I refer you to my post made in answer to that in the Eton Students thread Whizzo
Reply 39
The Ace is Back
Are you incapable of seeing the funny side?
Oh right, I forgot that Profesh is a comedy genius. Excuse me whilst I stitch my sides back together. :rolleyes:
The Ace is Back
I know you have a problem with snobs etc as you quite clearly made out with your statement about never having heard of Eton before (yeah, right)
Observe: Money + School = Private Education + Educated Students + Educated Snobs. Snobs are a waste product of some private schools - so why wouldn't I have a problem with them? :rolleyes:
The Ace is Back
as you prefer not to concern yourself with snobs/royalty - I refer you to my post made in answer to that in the Eton Students thread Whizzo
Why would you do that, if you know that I detest snobbery? Weird. Paste me the link if you will, I don't care much for wasting my time searching for a post of yours which is most likely rife with unproductive and unfruitful waffle.

Latest

Trending

Trending