The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In my AS french class, there were 7 people, 5 girls and 2 boys, but one of the boys dropped quickly, then 2 girls left, so only 3 girls and 1 boy did the AS exams, and next year for A2, there'll only be two of us, both girls :frown:!
Reply 21
In my A2 Spanish class, there were 18 people in it! In the one class as well! It was crazy!

*thinks proportion of girls to boys*

13 were girls and 5 were boys (me being one of the lads :smile:)

GCSE spanish was worse in terms of numbers, 33 people in one class! and boy to girl ratio was about 1:1 due to it being compulsory at the time! The french department in college was run by all female teachers (except one male student teacher for a couple of weeks!) and the spanish dept was run by 2 women and 1 man (who wasnt very good at teaching spanish, or any language as a matter of fact!) It does seem girls tend to favour foreign languages, i wonder if that will apply to East Asian languages at uni, I'll find out :smile:
Reply 22
I'm doing French and History from September...from the picture of the department the guys seem to be a bit outnumbered :rolleyes: but I'm sure the History part of the course will make up for that. I think it's just the romance languages...if I looked at the German or Russian departments I suspect I'd find a lot more guys. Pretty silly really.
I went to an all girls' school though so I'm not too bothered :p: I can cope.
Reply 23
Did Italian for the past year - that consisted of 11 girls and 1 boy (me)... no wonder I did so well lol, bit of extra incentive to attend the lessons!

However my Spanish class is pretty well mixed - 10 of us, 5 boys 5 girls
Reply 24
My brothers GCSE French class, 1 boy and 4 girls = 5.

Then 2 girls left, so there is only 2 girls and 1 boy now.
So there are only 3 people doing languages next year at GCSE at ex high school.
Well the set up where I am is that there are 2 grammar schools in the town, 1 for boys, 1 for girls, but the sixth from is the same but just spread over the 2 sites. So most boys would do their subjects at the boys school and girls at the girls, but for some subjects, people have to go from one to the other during the day, e.g. economics, business studies and some others r at the boys and psychology, sociology and some others r at the girls. Also it jus depends on the timetabling as well, so someone may have a subject that is done at both at the other school. Bascially, where im TRYING to get to lol is that next year, they've had to put an extra class in and emploty a new French teacher because so many people (boy AS studnets at the boys school) want to do it, so that definately shows that it's not unpopular, maybe its just that its MORE popular with girls. *breaths*
Reply 26
Yeah, I know that quite a few boys at the boys' grammar did French A-level...but I think fewer of those are now taking it to degree level than in the group at my girls' school.
Oh, and the year before us there were only 8 people taking French. In our year there were 23 :smile:
Reply 27
Actually theres only 2 of us doing French A level in my school....and were both guys

But when i went to the Oxford mod langs open day...the girls out numbered the boys by about 3:1!
Reply 28
so many girls learning foreign language outnumber boys in this department!

Latest

Trending

Trending