The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminax

Do they actually work for severe period pain?

Edit: I meant the Express ones...but anyways maybe the question I should've asked are which drugs do you think are the most effective for period pains?

Scroll to see replies

For me, they're pretty useless.
I found they work.. but buy Superdrug Migraine pills.. same ingredients, so much cheaper!!! They contain 3??mg (I can't remember the last bit) of ibroprufin lysine.. which is the same as for nurofen express, tension headache, migraine.. all fancy names for the same damn drug sold at different prices. It makes me mad! Sorry, rant over.

Edit - same drug as feminax express, not ultra :smile:
Zebrastripes
I found they work.. but buy Superdrug Migraine pills.. same ingredients, so much cheaper!!! They contain 3??mg (I can't remember the last bit) of ibroprufin lysine.. which is the same as for nurofen express, tension headache, migraine.. all fancy names for the same damn drug sold at different prices. It makes me mad! Sorry, rant over.

Edit - same drug as feminax express, not ultra :smile:
No. Feminax is co-codamol - paracetamol and codeine. (500mg:8mg mix)

Superdrug migraine pills (never seen them or used them) contain Ibuprofen which is a Non steroidal anti-inflamatory - which is a totally different painkiller entirely.
Ilora-Danon
No. Feminax is co-codamol - paracetamol and codeine. (500mg:8mg mix)

Superdrug migraine pills (never seen them or used them) contain Ibuprofen which is a Non steroidal anti-inflamatory - which is a totally different painkiller entirely.

I did edit.. http://www.feminax.co.uk/range/feminax-express.htm says A Feminax Express tablet contains 342mg of ibuprofen lysine, equivalent to 200mg ibuprofen. which is the same as the Superdrug/Nurofen I said.
Reply 5
So they dont work for one person...err I cant remember if they were ultra or express - saw an ad on TV lol pink pack? anyone else?
Zebrastripes
I did edit.. http://www.feminax.co.uk/range/feminax-express.htm says A Feminax Express tablet contains 342mg of ibuprofen lysine, equivalent to 200mg ibuprofen. which is the same as the Superdrug/Nurofen I said.
The OP didn't mention 'express' just regular Feminax, which is co-codamol....

Codeine (in varying doses) is a far more effective painkiller than ibuprofen, generally. It depends on the type of pain. For spasms, codeine is a better choice imo.
Reply 7
Zebrastripes

Oh right same stuff as Nurofen - silly me thanks...so cheapest one is the migrane pills superdrugs and they work well for you?
personally cant speak for period pains, but they work pretty well for other sort of pain
Reply 9
I take these

I find its better to take one before the pain kicks in, rather than wait for the pain to get bad. Then keep dosed up throughout the day.

I also find the heated patches relieve the pain too.
aimz08
So they dont work for one person...err I cant remember if they were ultra or express - saw an ad on TV lol pink pack? anyone else?

The pink ones are express, which is the ibroprufin lysine. I'd try both to be honest.. different drugs will obviously do different things. I find the other one didn't do anything, but the express (or superdrugs own which i use) works wonders (also gets rid of my migraines which no other non-prescription drug does). Just a case of trial and error to see what helps you :smile:
I can't take Feminax now due to my Crohn's being triggered by NSAIDs but when I could and did I found it to be totally useless. My doctor prescribed me Mefenamic Acid and again although I can no longer take it, it was of great help.
LondonMinx
I take these

I find its better to take one before the pain kicks in, rather than wait for the pain to get bad. Then keep dosed up throughout the day.

I also find the heated patches relieve the pain too.
Boots do their own brand of 400mg Ibuprofen, which will probably be cheaper than branded packs.
Reply 13
Well increasingly I seem to be getting headaches and nausea as well as severe pain and I am not particulary fond of taking pills but this combination of things is making it impossible to do anything other than lie (sp?) in bed!
Reply 14
I have been using the ultra tablets for a while now, but I took the express ones for the first time today as my boyfriend got them for me, and I was able to go to work and carry on with my day relatively normally! I usually suffer pretty badly so they get my thumbs up. I took two to start with and then 1 every four hours.
A couple of things -

For the girl with Crohn's, I'm really sorry to hear that you find it difficult to find pain killers that you can use. NSAIDs would be ideal, but (as you've said) they can't be used. I've read somewhere that Acetaminophen, commonly known under the brand Tylenol, which is also an NSAID CAN work.it doesn't act in quite the same way as aspirin or ibuprofen and (apparently) it can help. May be worth mentioning to your GP?

As for some of the advice given by others here such as "
Zebrastripes
different drugs will obviously do different things" - that's not strictly true. On the whole, drugs used for pain are either analgesic (pain numbing) or anti-inflammatory (inflammation causes pain) in nature. In terms of really bad period pain, strong NSAIDs such as transexamix/mefenamic acid are great. As for the express pills - I wouldn't really buy into those. They may work a little faster, but you are paying so much more for a tiny difference. Stick to generic brands (superdrug instead of neurofen) as they contain EXACTLY the same stuff, but screw you over with the name.
Anonymous
A couple of things -

For the girl with Crohn's, I'm really sorry to hear that you find it difficult to find pain killers that you can use. NSAIDs would be ideal, but (as you've said) they can't be used. I've read somewhere that Acetaminophen, commonly known under the brand Tylenol, which is also an NSAID CAN work.it doesn't act in quite the same way as aspirin or ibuprofen and (apparently) it can help. May be worth mentioning to your GP?

As for some of the advice given by others here such as " - that's not strictly true. On the whole, drugs used for pain are either analgesic (pain numbing) or anti-inflammatory (inflammation causes pain) in nature. In terms of really bad period pain, strong NSAIDs such as transexamix/mefenamic acid are great. As for the express pills - I wouldn't really buy into those. They may work a little faster, but you are paying so much more for a tiny difference. Stick to generic brands (superdrug instead of neurofen) as they contain EXACTLY the same stuff, but screw you over with the name.

Erm, wasn't that my point?! She asked about the pink Feminax, I gave her the cheaper alternative.
ive taken those before and sure they did help but maybe thats because they knocked me out for 4 hours lol

i take co-codamol and they are good but i dont really get bad period pains anymore since ive been on the pill
Meh, go with co-codamol.

It's exactly the same as Feminax really. The quick ones didn't really do anything for me if I remember rightly.

My version of dealing with period pain is co-codamol if I have any, paracetemol if I don't, brufen, and a hot water bottle. Plus a few cuddles from my boyfriend, lots of sleep, and chocolate covered raisins.
I knew a guy who got addicted to Gees Linctus even though it contains the tiniest amount of codeine :mmm:, much less than in regular co-codamol, which is why I avoid taking stuff like that.

Take paracetamol and ibuprofen together, it really helps.

Latest