The Student Room Group

Should i withdraw my application

I applied and deferred my application last year, which was successful. But now I have this dilemma:
I was accepted into the unis which I applied for and replied to my offers. But now after my gap year I have found a better course which would help my career more as the course has more specific modules compared to the one I was accepted into.
So now do I withdraw my application and take my chances with a late entry or through clearing. (This means I could end up with nothing)
Or do I just stay with my original university choice and see what happens.

Also my original uni is seen as a 'very good' university and as many bad reviews.
Help?
Reply 1
mini_lidi
I applied and deferred my application last year, which was successful. But now I have this dilemma:
I was accepted into the unis which I applied for and replied to my offers. But now after my gap year I have found a better course which would help my career more as the course has more specific modules compared to the one I was accepted into.
So now do I withdraw my application and take my chances with a late entry or through clearing. (This means I could end up with nothing)
Or do I just stay with my original university choice and see what happens.

Also my original uni is seen as a 'very good' university and as many bad reviews.
Help?

I would recommend staying in.. You don't want to have to apply next year and explain 2 gap years. Is this other course at different unis or the same ones... if its at the same ones... or some of the same, I am sure you could give them a call and explain your situation. Maybe phoning the universities you want to go to who offer this other course and explain what you have said above, to them??

Could you withdraw an application for some of your courses, and then apply to this other course?
Have you contacted the new university to see if they will consider your application should you apply now? There isn't any point in applying if they won't accept you, obviously. UCAS Extra opens in about a week (25th Feb) where universities that still have places allow you to apply to them one by one and you wouldn't be considered a "late" applicant as such, as you would be if you applied now. If the new university is listed in UCAS Extra you can simply apply directly to them tailoring your PS exactly to the course.

However, if you were then rejected from the new university you wouldn't be able to reclaim your place at the old university - unless of course, it was listed in Extra and you reapplied then they gave you an offer. But there would be no guarentee you'd get an offer this year simply because you've had one in the past.

Start writing your PS now for this course and contact them to see if they will consider you as a late applicant and/or if they think they will be listed in UCAS Extra in the coming weeks. You've got nothing to lose by starting your PS now whilst keeping hold of your current university place until you know the exact score with the new university.
Reply 3
Paske
I would recommend staying in.. You don't want to have to apply next year and explain 2 gap years. Is this other course at different unis or the same ones... if its at the same ones... or some of the same, I am sure you could give them a call and explain your situation. Maybe phoning the universities you want to go to who offer this other course and explain what you have said above, to them??

Could you withdraw an application for some of your courses, and then apply to this other course?

The courses are sorta similar but one is Forensic Computing and the other is Digital Forensics. But they are at different uni's, and different modules which means a transfer after my first year is out of the question
Reply 4
I am in a similar situation. I am currently on a gap year and have accepted a deferred place to my chosen uni, with my course ready to start September this year (2010).
My dilemma is that I've decided that the uni i have applied to is too far away from home for me and I don't think i want to do the course i originally chose either! :frown:
I would like to apply to a uni closer to home so i can comute from home everyday and the new uni that i would like to apply to also does a course which i would prefer to do.

I don't know what to do please help! xxx
Reply 5
mini_lidi
The courses are sorta similar but one is Forensic Computing and the other is Digital Forensics. But they are at different uni's, and different modules which means a transfer after my first year is out of the question

So... you want to transfer from Forensic Computing to Digital Forensics? Which unis have you applied to and which do you want to transfer to?
Reply 6
Mad Vlad
So... you want to transfer from Forensic Computing to Digital Forensics? Which unis have you applied to and which do you want to transfer to?

Yes thats Correct
Want to transfer from Middlesex to Pompey
Reply 7
Well, looking at both courses, I think you're definitely right ditching Middlesex; it looks woeful, if I'm honest.
Portsmouth's course is certainly more varied and interesting, but the focus on Psychology is rather odd... :s-smilie: Extra's probably your best optio for now. Contact Portsmouth and see what they can offer you, if you were to apply via Extra. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending