The Student Room Group

what's the minimum subjects you can take in S6 Scotland...

Basically, ive had a pretty bad sixth year...

i started out with Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry and crash higher Physics....

But then i got quite ill, IBS :o: and found it hard to cope with, started just staying at home, too sad to do ANY work.
anyway, at that point i dropped Advanced Chemistry and swapped it for open learning Psychology (Higher).

Anyway, im getting better, slowly, still not very motivated to do much work, (at the moment im just trying to get my diet and everything sorted, and stress makes it MUCH worse so try and avoid it) plus i have unconditionals to uni. i had a hellish 5th year...

ANYWAY, so, higher psychology. i havent done much, noone there to tell us what to do (and i admit, i dont really care enough to ask), and we are all a bit confused on the course. anyway, a few days ago we were told the NAB is tomorrow, and not even told what it was, and it turns out we have to do a Project, which is worth 20% (20 - 30 hours) and to pass we need to hand in our log and appendix; i havent done started! noone has! (SQA deadline = 22nd March) :eek: :eek:

I don't have time with my advanced biology project and psychology isn't anything i thought it would be (unit one was, the science side, but now its more ESSAYS ESSAYS and all that) more or less; i HATE it. and it isnt at all relevant to my next year.

is it acceptable to do only one advanced higher and one higher????

sorry for loooong post.
Reply 1
if you've got unconditionals then you can do none
in fact you could drop out of school tomorrow
Reply 2
LouisVuitton43

i started out with Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry and crash higher Physics....

But then i got quite ill, IBS :o: and found it hard to cope with, started just staying at home, too sad to do ANY work.
anyway, at that point i dropped Advanced Chemistry and swapped it for open learning Psychology (Higher).

Anyway, im getting better, slowly, still not very motivated to do much work, (at the moment im just trying to get my diet and everything sorted, and stress makes it MUCH worse so try and avoid it) plus i have unconditionals to uni. i had a hellish 5th year...

ANYWAY, so, higher psychology. i havent done much, noone there to tell us what to do (and i admit, i dont really care enough to ask), and we are all a bit confused on the course. anyway, a few days ago we were told the NAB is tomorrow, and not even told what it was, and it turns out we have to do a Project, which is worth 20% (20 - 30 hours) and to pass we need to hand in our log and appendix; i havent done started! noone has! (SQA deadline = 22nd March) :eek: :eek:

I don't have time with my advanced biology project and psychology isn't anything i thought it would be (unit one was, the science side, but now its more ESSAYS ESSAYS and all that) more or less; i HATE it. and it isnt at all relevant to my next year.

sorry for loooong post.

It depends on your school, ask them and be sure to explain your situation.
Personally, in my school it's 3 subjects minimum, but an Advanced Higher counts as 2, so in my school you could get away with that, but I'm not sure about your school's policy. Good luck :smile:
munn
if you've got unconditionals then you can do none
in fact you could drop out of school tomorrow

want to do physics as a module next year, so kinda need to stick with it.

plus cant find a job, so cant leave...
At my school it's 4 :'( but most people take int1 spanish for the 4th then drop out.
chris-carnage
At my school it's 4 :'( but most people take int1 spanish for the 4th then drop out.

we can take three advanced highers... and community invlovement or two advanceds and a crash...

bt i dont know about one of each...
Reply 6
LouisVuitton43
want to do physics as a module next year, so kinda need to stick with it.

plus cant find a job, so cant leave...

if you explain your situation to the school then they'll let you sit two exams.
it's better than you dropping out to them, i know plenty of people who sat only one or two exams in sixth year
Reply 7
Have you tried explaining your situation to your school and asking to only do 2 subjects?
Dado Prso
Have you tried explaining your situation to your school and asking to only do 2 subjects?

no, cos when they said about enrolling into psych that it was expensive to do so and that i should really try....
Reply 9
LouisVuitton43

sorry for loooong post.

yes, that's what I done. Got AA no problem at all :smile:
In my school it's four, three if all Advanced Highers. However that was for when you were making your choices, I think you should be able to drop a subject at your stage.

Our head girl last year was doing three subjects, however she only needed biology for her conditional to do medicine so our physics teacher advised her to fail the physics NABs purposefully because she wasn't keeping up. In the end she didn't, but I think she could have if she wanted to.

I doubt think the school would kick you out if you failed a subject. And if you fail on NABs it doesn't show up on your certificate. It would be as if you never took it.
Blu3j4yw4y

I doubt think the school would kick you out if you failed a subject. And if you fail on NABs it doesn't show up on your certificate. It would be as if you never took it.

hmm.. nab tomorrow, havent opened te booklet, i doubt i will...
seems good to me...
plus i havent done the log book so would fail second part anyway....

and i really really dont want a fail on my certifocate...
LouisVuitton43
hmm.. nab tomorrow, havent opened te booklet, i doubt i will...
seems good to me...
plus i havent done the log book so would fail second part anyway....

and i really really dont want a fail on my certifocate...

It might be a good idea. The girl I was talking about went on and took the exam, and failed it. She still got her conditional, but now she has a big "F" on her certificate that really wasn't necessary

Latest

Trending

Trending