The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would learn to cook rice, noodles, pasta well enough so that they don't turn to stoge then just either buy or learn to make sauces to go with them, very quick cheap and easy just add meat/veg etc to them. If you just fry/roast/boil some of the spare stuff in your fridge that you think will go together (trial and error :smile: ) then add it you will find enough things to keep you going. I can imagine bread will also be useful, make lots of sandwhiches + toast. Meat is quite expensive so lots of tinned tuna (if you like it) might be a good idea. I will also be buying lots of fruit mainly cus otherwise i eat crap all day :biggrin: but it is cheaper than chocolate etc and much better for you, if you have a blender you can make smoothies which are v filling. Otherwise you could always buy a s**t loaf of pot noodles. Student cooks books often tend to be okay but if you invest in a decent book which goes into more detail about actual cooking not just recipies you will find it easier to make up your own food (i.e. be a better cook) and mix and match things.
Reply 21
I made chow mein today.

Really easy...Takes around 15 minutes to prepare. Got it off the Oxford Brookes recipe book they sent me long back.

All you gotta do is:

1] Cook a packet of noodles
2] Heat a tbsp of sunflower oil in a large pan and stir fry 1 medium onion and 1 large carrot (cut into thin slices) until browned.
3] Add other veggies (I used bean sprouts, mushrooms, peas and corn) and stir fry for 2 mins.
4] Add noodles and stir fry for a minute.
5] Add one tbsp soy sauce and cook for a minute.

You could add chicken or whatever right from the beginning. I didn't because I'm vegetarian.

It's so easy and it tastes really nice :biggrin:

I know the mushrooms might be expensive. You could omit that and add whatever you want!
luvly_laura
:p: Hi!
Can someone recommend some quick, cheap recipe ideas for me! off 2 cardiff in september and im afraid ill be living on ommlettes and Jacket potatoes!!
So far my mums taught me how to make a corned beef hash! Help!!

Cheers xxx
Hi Laura!

Just thought I'd do my part an add to the thread here :biggrin:

My housemates and I have discovered easy-to-prepare lasagne, it doesn't take that long and you just need the right ingredients.

Also those tuna packs make for great lunches when you don't have time to prepare anything.

Healthy too! :p: :smile:
Reply 23
Earlham
Oh, we use those. What do you use to measure, say, quantities of spice or liquids? (Am I sounding really dumb now?)

To measure spices it's usually just something like "a pinch"! Though you sometimes get "half a teaspoon" or something. Liquids could be pints, litres, etc. Don't worry about using metric - I'm British but was brought up cooking by my mum so I weigh everything in lb and oz! Most measuring jugs and scales and stuff have both metric and imperial measurements on them, though to be honest cooking isn't really an exact science - I only every actually measure stuff out if I'm baking, rather than just cooking my tea.
Jenn xx
Reply 24
scrambled eggs-with milk and cheese
barbecue chiken-surpisingly easy and you can freezer most of it
rizotto
sandwich....toasted for that burn taste
stir frys easy
noodles
experiment...:smile:

Latest