The Student Room Group

What is your job and how much do you get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
trixx
I'd love it if you were the one signing my pay checks :smile: .

check my other post mate

loadsa my friends have messed up peoples pay, in accounts as long as it balances and no one complains your ok.
Job: John Lewis Service and Payments team
Pay per Hour: £5.25 ph but going up when I turn 18 this week :biggrin:
How hard?: 4/10
Comment: I like my job, the people are really sound (managers and coworkers) and its easy for me to get to but the fact I have to wake up early on Sunday's and give up my Thursday nights are a bit of a pain - as are the mingebag (usually Jewish) customers who are rude and snobbish.
HighestKungFu
Job: Complaints Officer
Pay per Hour: £12.50 p/h, Flexi time (35 hour week)
How hard?: 7/10
Comment: I'm on a gap year, and this has proven to be quite an interesting job. I work for Tower Hamlets Council, and the job is certainly filling my pockets with much needed cash!

similar to this job?: http://kings.thecareersgroup.co.uk/DisplayVacancy.aspx?id=64f0c45d-4fa1-490f-affe-48abf24a58eb
where is it exactly? I'm on a gap year too and I'm kinda looking for a job now after doing other stuff until January...

Job: lazy bum
pay: £300/month from dad
Difficulty: 0
Comment: unemployment is very unsatisfying.
black_mac29
similar to this job?: http://kings.thecareersgroup.co.uk/DisplayVacancy.aspx?id=64f0c45d-4fa1-490f-affe-48abf24a58eb
where is it exactly? I'm on a gap year too and I'm kinda looking for a job now after doing other stuff until January...

Job: lazy bum
pay: £300/month from dad
Difficulty: 0
Comment: unemployment is very unsatisfying.

Alright mate - well it's based in East India (near Canary Wharf) so I'm working at the Town Hall. That job you linked me too doesn't really seem to be very similar to mine (apart from the pay), however I advise you to join an agency if your looking for part-time or temp work. The one I used was Huntress, who turned out to be very good.

Hope that helps.
anyone here who working blue inc?
HighestKungFu
Alright mate - well it's based in East India (near Canary Wharf) so I'm working at the Town Hall. That job you linked me too doesn't really seem to be very similar to mine (apart from the pay), however I advise you to join an agency if your looking for part-time or temp work. The one I used was Huntress, who turned out to be very good.

Hope that helps.

Huntress, got it. thanks. I'll still try for that Tower Hamlets job and see if I get it anyway.
Reply 86
Job: Labourer for my dads business, work 2 days p/w.
pay: £15 p/h.
Difficulty: 1
Comment: Drink cups of tea sitting in the van reading/looking at the naked ladies in The Daily Star.
Original post by paddy

Job: Sales assistant at John Lewis
Pay per Hour: £8 per hour (part-time)
How hard?: 5
Comment: I liked this job, although it could be boring sometimes and the customers were often *****. I left ultimately because I couldn't take working with the managers anymore.

Hey! Would you mind elaborating a tad upon John Lewis' employee pay? For example, what does each dpt. pay? Where did you work in JL and also how long were you working there for? Did you receive any pay rises?

Sorry for the influx of questions! Much appreciated!
Reply 88
Original post by coolblergh
Hey! Would you mind elaborating a tad upon John Lewis' employee pay? For example, what does each dpt. pay? Where did you work in JL and also how long were you working there for? Did you receive any pay rises?

Sorry for the influx of questions! Much appreciated!

Well I don't know about different departments and what they pay, but I would assume £8 is typical for new starters in London.

I worked for Peter Jones, the John Lewis in Sloane Square (Chelsea, London). I worked there for about 14 months, and I didn't get a pay rise.

I'll probably try and see if they will re-hire me this summer, I could use a part-time job again.
Original post by paddy
Well I don't know about different departments and what they pay, but I would assume £8 is typical for new starters in London.

I worked for Peter Jones, the John Lewis in Sloane Square (Chelsea, London). I worked there for about 14 months, and I didn't get a pay rise.

I'll probably try and see if they will re-hire me this summer, I could use a part-time job again.

What was your position, more specifically? I think that £8p/h is quite generous. Did you receive any bonuses at all?
Reply 90
Original post by coolblergh
What was your position, more specifically? I think that £8p/h is quite generous. Did you receive any bonuses at all?

I was a shop assistant plain and simple. I did receive the annual bonus (13% I think it was) along with all the John Lewis partners. I think the annual bonus happens around March-ish?
Reply 91
Job: sales assistant at barratts (shoes)
Pay per Hour: just under 6
How hard?: quite
Comment: pays the rent..
Job: Multifunctional at a cinema
Pay per Hour: £5.98
How hard?: medium depends on how busy it is ie summer holidays, half terms etc
Comment: barely enough to live on (not given enough hours- about 20 a week on average!)
customers always complaining about prices!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Master.K
Job:
Pharmacy (Sales Assistant)
Hard:
Pay per hour:
£11

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I work in a pharmacy as a sales assistant and only get minimum wage (5.93) :frown:

Do you work for an independent pharmacy?

Job, Counter Assistant, Pharmacy
Hard, 1(the pharmacy I'm working at is an absolute mess, and I'm trying to catalogue everything and clean up the shelves which have accumulated about a year's worth of dust.)

Pay, 5.93 :frown:
Job: Independent Filmmaker for Barnardos/ Job Seeker

Pay per Hour: £10/ £0

How hard?: Tiring, but rewarding when I get a result.

I have 25hrs total work- short time frame to get the material, by encouraging children with disabilities to answer questions about their opinions/ ideas, when they aren't used to it. New people, new way of working & unpredictable.

Job Hunting takes up so much time and energy- More than actually having a job, I can't wait till I no longer have to fill in another application!!!
Reply 95
Job: lifeguard
Pay:~£10 ph
Hardness: 6/10 (pressures involved)
Job: NHS Ward Clerk (receptionist on a ward)

Pay per Hour:
£6.90

How hard?: Depends. If course it's stressful at times working around dying people, doctors have a go at you if the notes aren't there, nurses bitch about being treated badly, nurses cry quite often, I handle deceased patients' notes, I feel icky when it gets hot on the ward, people poo right next to me...
Otherwise, it's nice. I like talking to the little old ladies :smile:

Comment: I can steal needles.
Job: Sales Assistant at Costcutter
Pay per Hour £3.90 (im a slave :s-smilie:)

How Hard? 5/10 - we are more like a post office as well as a local shop - makes everything more confusing !
Job: Waitress
Pay per Hour: £4.50- kind of illegal considering I'm 18...
How hard?: 5- awful when it's really busy and there are fussy customers.
Comment: Boss is horrid.
Job: Lounge Host at airport
Pay per Hour: £8.21
How hard?: Depends, if is busy (usually is) I am fed up with this work :smile:
Comment: I love customer service so I am enjoy if I can speak to and help someone. Minuses of this work are crazy roster, always short stuff (so you have more to do) and no organization.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending