The Student Room Group

Revision tips and techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I make notes, make flashcards, make displays and then spend the day before the exam in the corner crying because I can't remember anything!
Wow might actually get some help from this as user generated threads dont gather any replies at all.
Reply 22
Original post by ahlem
the problem that i have and i hope to get some advices is that every time i start revising i get tired and sleepy and i can't finish my revision!!!!!

Try looking at your diet and sleeping pattern, can anything be improved here to give you more energy?

Are you doing too many other things and should take a break from those and do your revision instead?
Reply 23
Having written this kind of advice before, I suggest clicking here. If you want advice on stationery too then click here.

Darren
Reply 24
I do make flashcards but they do not work at all! lol! might actually learn other things from this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Hiya:smile: When revising I'm ok, but on the day of exams I usually loose around 10-15mins on the essay styled questions as I just can't think and panic a little. Any suggestions for relaxing during my exam?

Thanks!
Reply 26
So, what if I don't know what kind of learner I am, and nothing goes in?
Reply 27
Good tips! I also find doing question after question for Maths really does help me to understand the different methods and working involved. 2 days ago I was clueless on surds, now I have a really good knowledge! :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by swylde
Good tips! I also find doing question after question for Maths really does help me to understand the different methods and working involved. 2 days ago I was clueless on surds, now I have a really good knowledge! :biggrin:

Yeah, Maths is all about practice, the theory in most cases seem simple, but applying it is difficult if you never actually do any questions.
It seems amazing to me that when I was in Year 6, I thought calculus would be impossible, now, in year 12, I find it straightforward! Same with quadratic equations!
Original post by jqian
Yeah, Maths is all about practice, the theory in most cases seem simple, but applying it is difficult if you never actually do any questions.
It seems amazing to me that when I was in Year 6, I thought calculus would be impossible, now, in year 12, I find it straightforward! Same with quadratic equations!

I most likely didnt know/ never heard of calculus in year 6 :biggrin:
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
-

To reduce sticky clutter we've decided to combine the original stickies into one and make a new one for you to post your favorite tips and ask questions about revising.

Two key posts from the original stickies:

Positive Mindset vs Exam panic

How to revise effectively

Some of the top tips from the other threads:

My best advice is to make a plan for every week, so you maximise your time and can decide exactly how much you do and on what you want to focus on. It feels all good inside when you complete a 5 hour stint! Also take regular breaks. It's no good sitting at a desk for ages getting stressier and stressier and not taking anything in. (Rose64)

A good tip for languages discursive essays is to write pros and cons charts for issues like university funding, gap years, recycling, divorce, etc etc and any other topics you have studied. If you then get an essay on this in the exam you've already done the plan!! For studying eng lit texts I always make a main points sheet/booklet where i write down everything i can on each charater and theme (including quotes) this way you can just rewrite the para in ure exam if something relevant comes up. (fooish*87)

Good notes are the key to effective revision. Everytime you cover something new, write it down clearly and legibly, make sure you understand it - and then file it. When it comes to revising it's as simple as going over all of your concise, well-written notes, for let's say - 1 hour. Do this again for 15 minutes before bed, followed by at least 8 hours sleep. (raven)

I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.

Once you have revised something, ALWAYS give yourself a mini quiz to refresh your brain. Do this at the end of the revision session, then at the end of the day, and then at the beginning of the next day. This will push it into your long term memory. (Brimstone)

For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. (Gamaya)

Personally for the subjects that require memorised knowledge I have mnemonics for everything. I highly recommend them. For instance today I needed to remember what a ketone is, so I thought ketone sounds a lot like keystone, and the keystone is always in the middle of a bridge, and a ketone has a double bonded oxygen in the middle. It's great because unlike computers the more you put into a brain the easier it is to remember. Mnemonics only really work if you make them up yourself though. (steelmole)

Post it notes with key facts on them posted around your bath, opposite your loo, on your sink and on the cupboard where you keep your coffee or biscuits. Different coloured post it notes for different subjects. Only works if you keep the amount low. (castafoire)

I always find it really helpful to do one past paper before I've done any revision, then when I go back to looking at it the night before my exam, I realise how much more I know now. That always makes me feel better about myself and my chances. (Phalanges)

Find out what kind of learner you are. i.e Visual, auditory, or emotional. If you learn best by remembering things you see, make your notes look all pretty and bright so they'll stick in your mind. Or, if you learn best by hearing stuff, record yourself talking about a subject. (rose64)

Post your own tips or ask for advice on your revision :biggrin:

Great, thanks for all the tips, but does all this work for you? last term I memorised & went over notes & I ended up with real bad AS grades. Eversince, I have been told not to memorise, but if this works for you, it surely must work for me as you have included alot of new methods which I havent before used in there. Please clear that up, as I dont want to be revising by my old failed methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
This looks so good! Thanks for posting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
To reduce sticky clutter we've decided to combine the original stickies into one and make a new one for you to post your favorite tips and ask questions about revising.

Two key posts from the original stickies:

Positive Mindset vs Exam panic

How to revise effectively

Some of the top tips from the other threads:

My best advice is to make a plan for every week, so you maximise your time and can decide exactly how much you do and on what you want to focus on. It feels all good inside when you complete a 5 hour stint! Also take regular breaks. It's no good sitting at a desk for ages getting stressier and stressier and not taking anything in. (Rose64)

A good tip for languages discursive essays is to write pros and cons charts for issues like university funding, gap years, recycling, divorce, etc etc and any other topics you have studied. If you then get an essay on this in the exam you've already done the plan!! For studying eng lit texts I always make a main points sheet/booklet where i write down everything i can on each charater and theme (including quotes) this way you can just rewrite the para in ure exam if something relevant comes up. (fooish*87)

Good notes are the key to effective revision. Everytime you cover something new, write it down clearly and legibly, make sure you understand it - and then file it. When it comes to revising it's as simple as going over all of your concise, well-written notes, for let's say - 1 hour. Do this again for 15 minutes before bed, followed by at least 8 hours sleep. (raven)

I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.

Once you have revised something, ALWAYS give yourself a mini quiz to refresh your brain. Do this at the end of the revision session, then at the end of the day, and then at the beginning of the next day. This will push it into your long term memory. (Brimstone)

For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. (Gamaya)

Personally for the subjects that require memorised knowledge I have mnemonics for everything. I highly recommend them. For instance today I needed to remember what a ketone is, so I thought ketone sounds a lot like keystone, and the keystone is always in the middle of a bridge, and a ketone has a double bonded oxygen in the middle. It's great because unlike computers the more you put into a brain the easier it is to remember. Mnemonics only really work if you make them up yourself though. (steelmole)

Post it notes with key facts on them posted around your bath, opposite your loo, on your sink and on the cupboard where you keep your coffee or biscuits. Different coloured post it notes for different subjects. Only works if you keep the amount low. (castafoire)

I always find it really helpful to do one past paper before I've done any revision, then when I go back to looking at it the night before my exam, I realise how much more I know now. That always makes me feel better about myself and my chances. (Phalanges)

Find out what kind of learner you are. i.e Visual, auditory, or emotional. If you learn best by remembering things you see, make your notes look all pretty and bright so they'll stick in your mind. Or, if you learn best by hearing stuff, record yourself talking about a subject. (rose64)

Post your own tips or ask for advice on your revision

Should this be done throughout the year or just a couple of months before the exams?
Reply 33
Wats dah best way to revise A2 law guys?!!
Ive found that I'm a visual learner and that anything in coloured felt tips are my best friend as I retain more information.
I recently brought myself a whiteboard and I've used it to learn my essay plans!
My downfall in most of my A levels, more specifically Biology is understanding what the question is asking me. I guess that only comes with practice of the papers though
Reply 35
Hi, I have just completed my AS and am now selling my notes:
Maths Edexcel S1;
Economics AQA ECON;
History AQA HIS1B, HIS2C;
English Lit OCR Yeats, Jane Eyre.
I got pretty good results for them, high As of 95% UMS with full marks for HIS2C, S1, C1 and Eng Lit Coursework. Notes are in pdf format and previews are available. For further details, please private message me.

PS I am also selling my IGCSE Eng Lit Pride and Prejudice, A View From the Bridge and OCR Food and Nutrition Notes (in which I got A*s in)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love you, thank you so much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending