The Student Room Group

Revision tips and techniques

-

To reduce sticky clutter we've decided to combine the original stickies into one and make a new one for you to post your favorite tips and ask questions about revising.

Two key posts from the original stickies:

Positive Mindset vs Exam panic

How to revise effectively

Some of the top tips from the other threads:

♫ My best advice is to make a plan for every week, so you maximise your time and can decide exactly how much you do and on what you want to focus on. It feels all good inside when you complete a 5 hour stint! Also take regular breaks. It's no good sitting at a desk for ages getting stressier and stressier and not taking anything in. (Rose64)

♫ A good tip for languages discursive essays is to write pros and cons charts for issues like university funding, gap years, recycling, divorce, etc etc and any other topics you have studied. If you then get an essay on this in the exam you've already done the plan!! For studying eng lit texts I always make a main points sheet/booklet where i write down everything i can on each charater and theme (including quotes) this way you can just rewrite the para in ure exam if something relevant comes up. (fooish*87)

♫ Good notes are the key to effective revision. Everytime you cover something new, write it down clearly and legibly, make sure you understand it - and then file it. When it comes to revising it's as simple as going over all of your concise, well-written notes, for let's say - 1 hour. Do this again for 15 minutes before bed, followed by at least 8 hours sleep. (raven)

♫ I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.

♫ Once you have revised something, ALWAYS give yourself a mini quiz to refresh your brain. Do this at the end of the revision session, then at the end of the day, and then at the beginning of the next day. This will push it into your long term memory. (Brimstone)

♫ For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. (Gamaya)

♫ Personally for the subjects that require memorised knowledge I have mnemonics for everything. I highly recommend them. For instance today I needed to remember what a ketone is, so I thought ketone sounds a lot like keystone, and the keystone is always in the middle of a bridge, and a ketone has a double bonded oxygen in the middle. It's great because unlike computers the more you put into a brain the easier it is to remember. Mnemonics only really work if you make them up yourself though. (steelmole)

♫ Post it notes with key facts on them posted around your bath, opposite your loo, on your sink and on the cupboard where you keep your coffee or biscuits. Different coloured post it notes for different subjects. Only works if you keep the amount low. (castafoire)

♫ I always find it really helpful to do one past paper before I've done any revision, then when I go back to looking at it the night before my exam, I realise how much more I know now. That always makes me feel better about myself and my chances. (Phalanges)

♫ Find out what kind of learner you are. i.e Visual, auditory, or emotional. If you learn best by remembering things you see, make your notes look all pretty and bright so they'll stick in your mind. Or, if you learn best by hearing stuff, record yourself talking about a subject. (rose64)

Post your own tips or ask for advice on your revision :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

letsdothetimewarpagain
-

To reduce sticky clutter we've decided to combine the original stickies into one and make a new one for you to post your favorite tips and ask questions about revising.

Two key posts from the original stickies:

Positive Mindset vs Exam panic

How to revise effectively

Some of the top tips from the other threads:

♫ My best advice is to make a plan for every week, so you maximise your time and can decide exactly how much you do and on what you want to focus on. It feels all good inside when you complete a 5 hour stint! Also take regular breaks. It's no good sitting at a desk for ages getting stressier and stressier and not taking anything in. (Rose64)

♫ A good tip for languages discursive essays is to write pros and cons charts for issues like university funding, gap years, recycling, divorce, etc etc and any other topics you have studied. If you then get an essay on this in the exam you've already done the plan!! For studying eng lit texts I always make a main points sheet/booklet where i write down everything i can on each charater and theme (including quotes) this way you can just rewrite the para in ure exam if something relevant comes up. (fooish*87)

♫ Good notes are the key to effective revision. Everytime you cover something new, write it down clearly and legibly, make sure you understand it - and then file it. When it comes to revising it's as simple as going over all of your concise, well-written notes, for let's say - 1 hour. Do this again for 15 minutes before bed, followed by at least 8 hours sleep. (raven)

♫ I'm just in the middle of creating CDs for Social/Cognitive/Cognitive Development Psychology, and one for my A2 Sociology unit. I'm putting all of my information on there so I can play it back and listen to it. And, if you're like me and like the sound of your own voice (:P) it's good :P.

♫ Once you have revised something, ALWAYS give yourself a mini quiz to refresh your brain. Do this at the end of the revision session, then at the end of the day, and then at the beginning of the next day. This will push it into your long term memory. (Brimstone)

♫ For subjects like maths, all you can really do is question after question after question. During my revision for C2 I found the tough logarithm questions quite hard at first so I just did log question after log question after log question from the C2 book. By the end, I was an expert at C2 logarithm questions! By repeating so many questions you end up with a sixth sense for what the next thing to do in a tricky question is. (Gamaya)

♫ Personally for the subjects that require memorised knowledge I have mnemonics for everything. I highly recommend them. For instance today I needed to remember what a ketone is, so I thought ketone sounds a lot like keystone, and the keystone is always in the middle of a bridge, and a ketone has a double bonded oxygen in the middle. It's great because unlike computers the more you put into a brain the easier it is to remember. Mnemonics only really work if you make them up yourself though. (steelmole)

♫ Post it notes with key facts on them posted around your bath, opposite your loo, on your sink and on the cupboard where you keep your coffee or biscuits. Different coloured post it notes for different subjects. Only works if you keep the amount low. (castafoire)

♫ I always find it really helpful to do one past paper before I've done any revision, then when I go back to looking at it the night before my exam, I realise how much more I know now. That always makes me feel better about myself and my chances. (Phalanges)

♫ Find out what kind of learner you are. i.e Visual, auditory, or emotional. If you learn best by remembering things you see, make your notes look all pretty and bright so they'll stick in your mind. Or, if you learn best by hearing stuff, record yourself talking about a subject. (rose64)

Post your own tips or ask for advice on your revision :biggrin:

thanks you are great, dunno where you get all the time to do this though!!
thanks for all this
I'll post some of my revision tips once I have time. :smile:
Reply 4
Quite a lot of that is fairly simplistic and obvious advice aimed at fifteen year olds :s-smilie: ... I think you have to be disciplined and in control of yourself when it comes to revision.
Reply 5
the problem that i have and i hope to get some advices is that every time i start revising i get tired and sleepy and i can't finish my revision!!!!!
Reply 6
Thank you thank you thank youuuuu!
Reply 7
Iv taken many "revision quizes" to see what type of learning i am and every single one of them says that i learn from all of the ways. >.< Why cant by brain be desisive and just pick a style of learning?
Reply 8
i'd advise you to just go 100% note taking, don't mess about with mind maps and stuff. spider diagrams are pretty much only useful for planning essays.
I've only just made a timetable for this week and I've already done so much more work than I have without a timetable.

Also, stick on some soothing music. I like the sounds of Chicane when studying. So soothing and peaceful.
Reply 10
Very useful, although I would very much recommend using flashcards! They work fabulously!
Reply 11
http://www.ucc.vt.edu/

Great site with lots of info I like the SQ3R thingy
http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable/intro

This website could be very useful for creating a revision timetable to suit you (provided that you know your exam timetable) and for creating revision cards and notes.
Reply 14
samanthaaaa
http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable/intro

This website could be very useful for creating a revision timetable to suit you (provided that you know your exam timetable) and for creating revision cards and notes.

Thanks!:biggrin:
dont over cook ure brain take revision at an ease
Use flash cards! And if you want to use online flashcards, check out the site in my sig - it's an exam revision site where you can play games with flash cards to help memorise facts.
Reply 17
helenporter
Use flash cards! And if you want to use online flashcards, check out the site in my sig - it's an exam revision site where you can play games with flash cards to help memorise facts.

looks good,only probem is I cant create an account/make flashcard as I don t have a Facebook,google.... acount.
Thanks for sharing it with others though:wink:
Thanks so much for the feedback hissyfit - really appreciate you taking the time to look! We're hoping to add other login options over time...
Reply 19
I ve registered,you can find my resources here :http://getrevising.co.uk/members/marion7

Quick Reply

Latest