The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tbh its quite hard to take the course seriously as theres nothing to do. When i saw the requirements to get onto the course i knew it was going to be easy but i didnt think id have this much time off. Dont get too full of yourself.
nurse207
tbh its quite hard to take the course seriously as theres nothing to do. When i saw the requirements to get onto the course i knew it was going to be easy but i didnt think id have this much time off. Dont get too full of yourself.

Then maybe the course isn't for you? you need to have at least some passion and commitment to your chosen course.
Reply 22
Billy Bryant
Then maybe the course isn't for you? you need to have at least some passion and commitment to your chosen course.

I have a lot of passion and commitment to my course! I just failed one ****ing assignment, which btw is quite common. I know a lot of good nurses who have failed or only just passed by the skin of their teeth. But going as far as to say I should consider if i can cope or if the course is for me or not is going too far. Where is your logic man?:eek:
Obviously if you feel the course is definitely for you then there is nothing to consider but how am I to know that? Considering the facts I have been given? Especially when you say you don't take the course seriously.
nurse207

ugh, wow i don't think you'll last till management placement with that attitude lol

I surpassed the entry requirements for my course by almost double the grades- as did many others, and we're ALL struggling...so grow up, get some perspective and get off the course, if you had so much time off you'd have more time to have got the essay done...
Reply 25
Subcutaneous
ugh, wow i don't think you'll last till management placement with that attitude lol

I surpassed the entry requirements for my course by almost double the grades- as did many others, and we're ALL struggling...so grow up, get some perspective and get off the course, if you had so much time off you'd have more time to have got the essay done...

Well I got about quadruple the requirements no joke and quite frankly am finding it easy. I would have passed if i referenced properly and would have done well if id read the question properly.

I also think assignments are a wate of time. you never remember anything from them and they dont contribute to your standard of nursing. Which is probably why i wasnt that bothered about the assignment.

Please, i dont want to argue about this.

I failed my assignment and now i know what to do. you learn from your mistakes :yep:

dont tell people to get off your course. Some people may have actually done it because you suggested it and may have had a lot of potential.
nurse207
Well I got about quadruple the requirements no joke and quite frankly am finding it easy. I would have passed if i referenced properly and would have done well if id read the question properly.

I also think assignments are a wate of time. you never remember anything from them and they dont contribute to your standard of nursing. Which is probably why i wasnt that bothered about the assignment.

Please, i dont want to argue about this.

I failed my assignment and now i know what to do. you learn from your mistakes :yep:

dont tell people to get off your course. Some people may have actually done it because you suggested it and may have had a lot of potential.

Really what did you get? Cause it obviously wasn't good enough to do medicine..which lets face it is what you want to do, hence...wasting your time on this course, no?

You're finding the course 'easy' yet didn't read an assignment question properly, or even reference correctly? Some very basic skills..1st year is easy, I said that before, I sailed through 1st year on doing my assignments a week before they were due in, and didn't even revise for my exams, yet got above 70% in all assignments/exams. 2nd and 3rd year tests you for a reason..if you don't really want to be a nurse, can't make the effort or time to get the work done in properly as you were 'too busy' and then complain about having too much time..SERIOUSLY?
Reply 27
Subcutaneous
Really what did you get? Cause it obviously wasn't good enough to do medicine..which lets face it is what you want to do, hence...wasting your time on this course, no?

You're finding the course 'easy' yet didn't read an assignment question properly, or even reference correctly? Some very basic skills..1st year is easy, I said that before, I sailed through 1st year on doing my assignments a week before they were due in, and didn't even revise for my exams, yet got above 70% in all assignments/exams. 2nd and 3rd year tests you for a reason..if you don't really want to be a nurse, can't make the effort or time to get the work done in properly as you were 'too busy' and then complain about having too much time..SERIOUSLY?

I missed medical school by two percent and yes, although i dont see how it is obvious unless you read my posts, i wanted to do and still want to do medicine.

I dont think being a nurse is a waste of time. i really enjoy it. i just think the acedemic side of things could be improved/made harder.

Some very basic skills... maybe too basic for my liking.
nurse207
I missed medical school by two percent and yes, although i dont see how it is obvious unless you read my posts, i wanted to do and still want to do medicine.

I dont think being a nurse is a waste of time. i really enjoy it. i just think the acedemic side of things could be improved/made harder.

Some very basic skills... maybe too basic for my liking.

course its bloody basic you're in your 1st year, you're doing mental health which has very little clinical skills anyway compared to other branches..and you're only 4/5 months into the course :rolleyes:

Were you expecting to be doing tracheal suctioning or administering iv's at this point? :rolleyes:. You're experience is extremely limited, and I do think it's a huge shame you're doing this to get into medical school..when there are other ways around it and you're not taking up someones place who would want to be a mental health nurse.
Reply 29
Subcutaneous
course its bloody basic you're in your 1st year, you're doing mental health which has very little clinical skills anyway compared to other branches..and you're only 4/5 months into the course :rolleyes:

Were you expecting to be doing tracheal suctioning or administering iv's at this point? :rolleyes:

mental health may sound basic in terms of clinical skills. But can you imagine having to face someone who has raped somebody and treating them holistically. Thats pretty difficult. I would quite enjoy administering IV's and would therefore learn about it. I love the clinical side of the course. I'm also an HCA at a general hospital.
nurse207
mental health may sound basic in terms of clinical skills. But can you imagine having to face someone who has raped somebody and treating them holistically. Thats pretty difficult. I would quite enjoy administering IV's and would therefore learn about it. I love the clinical side of the course. I'm also an HCA at a general hospital.

...Yes i can. Why are you complaining if you think the course is too easy? Seriously, if you want to do medicine leave now....the next 2 years get crap, and an awful lot of it is preparing for a career as a registered nurse, not as a medical applicant. If i didn't want to be a nurse, at this point i'd have cracked and dropped out- as what i'm doing would seem pointless
Reply 31
Subcutaneous
...Yes i can. Why are you complaining if you think the course is too easy? Seriously, if you want to do medicine leave now....the next 2 years get crap, and an awful lot of it is preparing for a career as a registered nurse, not as a medical applicant. If i didn't want to be a nurse, at this point i'd have cracked and dropped out- as what i'm doing would seem pointless

Becoming a nurse to become a doctor is not pointless. Whos to say ill ever make it? I enjoy nursing and therefore i have the right to be a nurse just as much as anybody else.
nurse207
Becoming a nurse to become a doctor is not pointless. Whos to say ill ever make it? I enjoy nursing and therefore i have the right to be a nurse just as much as anybody else.

It seems an awful big waste to train to be something in my heart I don't want to do..you're already preparing for GAMSAT, you have a right to be so...but it's a huge shame to see people take advantage of someones place on a nursing degree as a stepping stone onto something else..and then go on here, say the course is easy..too much time...and also complain about being too busy to do a simple level 1 assignment
Reply 33
Subcutaneous
It seems an awful big waste to train to be something in my heart I don't want to do..you're already preparing for GAMSAT, you have a right to be so...but it's a huge shame to see people take advantage of someones place on a nursing degree as a stepping stone onto something else..and then go on here, say the course is easy..too much time...and also complain about being too busy to do a simple level 1 assignment

I was busy with other things not related to the course. im not contradicting myself. And again... who says ill make it? Then what would i do?... nursing. so it seems pretty logical to me that i should do nursing. I dont feel sorry for anybody who ive taken the place of because they knew i want to be a doctor. i was up front about that. They didnt pick me over somebody else for no reason. Maybe some people arent nurses or not ready to be a nurse.
nurse207
I was busy with other things not related to the course. im not contradicting myself. And again... who says ill make it? Then what would i do?... nursing. so it seems pretty logical to me that i should do nursing. I dont feel sorry for anybody who ive taken the place of because they knew i want to be a doctor. i was up front about that. They didnt pick me over somebody else for no reason. Maybe some people arent nurses or not ready to be a nurse.

Then in the future plan your time well and get your priorities right- like i said, if you don't do this now..you won't cope next year.
Reply 35
Subcutaneous
Then in the future plan your time well and get your priorities right- like i said, if you don't do this now..you won't cope next year.

Why didnt you just say that in the first place? :s-smilie:

Thats a nicer response.
Reply 36
nurse207
I got 35% in my assignment but did well in the exam, 93%. Do you have to pass the assignment to pass the module? I'm at salford but im guessing its the same for all the unis as it is the first year foundation course

First year is for making your mistakes! I f*cked up on one of my assignments first year too and pretty much just scraped a pass! You'll be fine if you just learn from it and prioritise in future! 2nd year isn't the giant leap of work load that people are saying. The work standard has to be stepped up a notch of course but I'm finding it a lot easier to get stuff done :smile:

Plus if you want to go onto medicine afterwards then go for it. I think you'll do well with the nursing under your belt too. From what I've been told, it gives you a beter perspective on the care you give if you've done the nursing first. Don't even be bothered with what anyone else thinks about it. You got your place on your course fairly. Anyone who didn't get onto a nursing course didn't for a reason.

I think some people are far too busy telling other people that they shouldn't do nursing on here.
Reply 37
hay.hay
First year is for making your mistakes! I f*cked up on one of my assignments first year too and pretty much just scraped a pass! You'll be fine if you just learn from it and prioritise in future! 2nd year isn't the giant leap of work load that people are saying. The work standard has to be stepped up a notch of course but I'm finding it a lot easier to get stuff done :smile:

Plus if you want to go onto medicine afterwards then go for it. I think you'll do well with the nursing under your belt too. From what I've been told, it gives you a beter perspective on the care you give if you've done the nursing first. Don't even be bothered with what anyone else thinks about it. You got your place on your course fairly. Anyone who didn't get onto a nursing course didn't for a reason.

I think some people are far too busy telling other people that they shouldn't do nursing on here.

Thanks for that. Yeah, ill be far more advanced than 99% of the applicants in terms of interacting with the patient. plus ill know a lot, if not more of the clinical stuff. Are the assignments longer? are they marked more strictly? or are there more of them?
Thanks again.
Reply 38
nurse207
Thanks for that. Yeah, ill be far more advanced than 99% of the applicants in terms of interacting with the patient. plus ill know a lot, if not more of the clinical stuff. Are the assignments longer? are they marked more strictly? or are there more of them?
Thanks again.

The only problem I've ever noticed with doctors is that a lot of them don't really have good comm skills with the patient. You'll know all about that and more before you even start!

The assignments are longer and they are marked more strictly. Especially in terms of referencing. They're trying to drum into us that last year we had to just describe, this year we need to say why! lol sounds easier than it is but you get what I mean :smile:

My uni changed the course this year so the assessments are all very different! First year was more exams and a few assignments. This year is all different stuff! Like right now my work load includes a poster presentation (for next week gah!) and then for May I have one exam, a 15 min presentation, a reflective piece of writing, an OSCE, a 2000 word essay and another essay!

It is more work but it's less exams! It shouldn't be too bad if I learn to manage my work...which I'm awful at!

What uni are you in?
Reply 39
hay.hay
The only problem I've ever noticed with doctors is that a lot of them don't really have good comm skills with the patient. You'll know all about that and more before you even start!

The assignments are longer and they are marked more strictly. Especially in terms of referencing. They're trying to drum into us that last year we had to just describe, this year we need to say why! lol sounds easier than it is but you get what I mean :smile:

My uni changed the course this year so the assessments are all very different! First year was more exams and a few assignments. This year is all different stuff! Like right now my work load includes a poster presentation (for next week gah!) and then for May I have one exam, a 15 min presentation, a reflective piece of writing, an OSCE, a 2000 word essay and another essay!

It is more work but it's less exams! It shouldn't be too bad if I learn to manage my work...which I'm awful at!

What uni are you in?

presentations sound fun.:smile: are the assignments longer than 2500 words?:confused: Thats what were doing at the moment. Im at salford.

Latest