The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As far as costs goes, it tends to depend on when you have your first appointment rather than when you get them fitted. In most circumstances, after turning 18 you can't get them on the NHS, but I have so again it depends.

The cut my mouth to pieces for a week, I was on painkillers everyday, but after that they haven't really bothered me. Only if I lean on my hand or something whilst I am asleep because then they obviously cut in all night and it hurts when I wake up.

For anyone who experiences anything similar, I very very strongly recommend TCP solution on the cuts. It doesn't sting cos it's in your mouth, and it stops it hurting immediately. I found that the orthodontic wax just came off.
Reply 61
YEY! im getting mines out in bout 10 weks!! i cant wait lol
still got 1 year and a bit to go! :frown:
Never had them or needed them
May be I am crazy, but I love braces, and my teeth are actually ok, but I know I could get braces and I am begging my mom to get one for me, she tells I dont need them. i dont know why, I wantd to have them even when i was a child :smile: Hope, I am not so crazy, coz I have read that everybody hates it :smile:
Reply 65
I've just had braces fitted and hate em..

Between 12 -18 months more of them, then an op and then a further 12 months :frown:
Reply 66
I just got my braces out like 2 months ago and I miss them already...now, I have to wear this stupid retainer that's uncomfortable and icky.
Braces are 'cool' in my school, 2/4 of my class had them. The results in the end are good, definitely more comfortable to smile and stuff, so the pain is worth it.
Reply 67
got them...used 2 em...dont mind keep breaking em though....orthodontist hates my guts...oh well....

regards
Reply 68
I should have braces, but due to an illness i have (which is yet to be diagnosed) I cannot have them because they have made my teeth go to weak for them. So my teeth would just snap if i had them.
Reply 69
deenirdee
I just got my braces out like 2 months ago and I miss them already...now, I have to wear this stupid retainer that's uncomfortable and icky.
Braces are 'cool' in my school, 2/4 of my class had them. The results in the end are good, definitely more comfortable to smile and stuff, so the pain is worth it.

isnt that a half?
Reply 70
I don't mind. It doesn't hurt the way everyone makes them out to...
I'm about half way through my brace treatment, and I hate them more every day. It's weird cos the thing I was most worried about at the start was the pain and discomfort - the appearance side of things didn't matter as much to me. But now, it's completely the other way round. I never had much of a problem with pain - just needed to swallow things whole! :p: But I'm 17 and I recently started college and I feel like such a little kid and really lowers my confidence. I don't like smiling with my mouth open cos it looks so terrible, and I've had elastics on the brace for a few months now which are YELLOW. Can you believe that the makers would give it a yellow colour? How thick is that?!

However :rolleyes: I have to say that I don't regret getting them. When I see pictures of how my teeth looked before, I know it was the right thing to do. Just have to deal with it for a bit longer. *cant wait til they're gone!* :biggrin:
Reply 72
i had braces put in last nov, they came out beginning of july :biggrin: (can u put ex-brace user as an option on the poll?!) i rly didnt want them, they hurt so bad at first (rubbed against my gums and made the inside of my mouth get ulcers). however im glad i had them now, cos my teeth look so much better. now im more conscious of ppls teeth, i see some adults with really wonky/gappy smiles and i bet they wish that orthodontic treatment had been available to them. so guys hang in there, it really is worth it! :smile:
Someone has probably said something like this but anyway...
There was something on Tv about these two identical twins. One got braces and the other didn't. When one of them got the braces off, they no longer looked like twins becasue it changed the shape of his/her face.
Is it true?

Latest