The Student Room Group

A Degree from the UK or USA? Which one is harder/difficult to obtain?

Scroll to see replies

Pink Bullets
Where else would they take them, exactly? :confused:

Nobody takes 10 APs at the same time if that's what you're getting at. It's typical to take 5-6 classes at once.

Self-teach, then take the exam.

I know that they don't, but an AP class in any one high school year is not the equivalent of one full A Level, that's what I'm getting at.
Evanesyne

I know that they don't, but an AP class in any one high school year is not the equivalent of one full A Level, that's what I'm getting at.

Well, it's fairly obvious that one AP class can't be the equivalent of a full A-level, given that APs are one year long, and a full A level is two years.

However, if you were to take AP Physics B and AP Physics C, you'd pretty much have the equivalent of A level physics; I know that it is more or less the equivalent of IB HL physics, which is quite similar to A level physics.

AP Calculus BC does specifically focus on calculus for a year; A level maths focuses on other topics that American students see in other years of high school.

Just because one AP class isn't the equivalent of a full A level doesn't mean it isn't challenging, or of the standard of an A level.
Evanesyne

But they're good enough for getting into UK universities, yes?
Reply 123
Pink Bullets
No.

15 hours a week, 16 weeks in a semester (typically, this varies with university), 2 semesters a year, 4 years. Work it out.

So... no student who has graduated from an American university has learned any of the material they were taught?

Haven't you noticed the ridiculously long holidays that we get in the UK? The US colleges simply make better use of the year.

i have 12 taught hours a week for two 10-week terms.

that I have 3 times for the 3 years, so = 12*10*2*3 = 720.

Now lets add to that the revision lectures in summer term, say 80 over the years gives 800 hours in total.

I have no idea why that person thinks 1920 hours is not enough.

I would even say thats a ******* ******** of hours!
Reply 124
Rainfaery
Well, it's fairly obvious that one AP class can't be the equivalent of a full A-level, given that APs are one year long, and a full A level is two years.

However, if you were to take AP Physics B and AP Physics C, you'd pretty much have the equivalent of A level physics; I know that it is more or less the equivalent of IB HL physics, which is quite similar to A level physics.

AP Calculus BC does specifically focus on calculus for a year; A level maths focuses on other topics that American students see in other years of high school.

Just because one AP class isn't the equivalent of a full A level doesn't mean it isn't challenging, or of the standard of an A level.

my friend did APs.

He got an average of 84% in his first year.

at LSE.
Pink Bullets
I did English literature at the 12th best university in the UK. I had eight hours a week, which is fairly average for arts and humanities subjects. There were two terms of ten weeks each. The summer 'term' was for exams.

Come on... do you really think the average student studies for 30-40 hours a week?

What's the 12th best UK uni?
Reply 126
Liptease
That would involve me digging around, and to borrow an English phraise i picked up I cba :p: but you can compare the figures to the EU or even the rest of the developed world combined by population.

You can also consider my previous point that Stanford University alone has had more than three times as many Nobel winners than Oxford and Cambridge combined over the last couple of decades.

You can consider how business and academia can revolutionise an economy look at how the IT revolution was spearheaded by academic institutions in the America.

You can consider the dynamism, just look at how NYU went from a poor second tier University three decades ago, forced to sell off it's main campus to a leading institution today: flush with the best minds, students, and cash.

Perhaps, but the implication, then, is that the Nobel Prize is the ideal, when it is clearly not; it has only been awarded since 1901 and literature is the only award which names one winner per year, for example. Comparatively, the US has ten winners in literature and the UK has nine, excluding T.S. Eliot, and the four Irish winners (Yeats, Shaw, Beckett and Heaney) who could arguably be counted as British. I suppose you do not care much for literature or cultural and intellectual heritage pre-1901, right?

Personally, I find this entire debate pointless because no one cares about undergraduate study in the long-term, and most east-coast US institutions are essentially British/European in everything but name.
danny111
my friend did APs.

He got an average of 84% in his first year.

at LSE.

I know; I am not slagging off APs. I was pointing out that they are different, but no less rigourous than A levels.
xSkyFire
What's the 12th best UK uni?

King's College London (according to The Times)
evantej

Personally, I find this entire debate pointless because no one cares about undergraduate study in the long-term, and most east-coast US institutions are essentially British/European in everything but name.

What is 'British' about them? 0_o
wellynelly
American degrees are more expensive but the content us easier, a lot easier

Do you have any proof for that claim?
Pink Bullets
King's College London (according to The Times)

King's is 27th for English, that's not all that brilliant..
Reply 132
evantej
Perhaps, but the implication, then, is that the Nobel Prize is the ideal, when it is clearly not; it has only been awarded since 1901 and literature is the only award which names one winner per year, for example.
I didn't claim it was ideal. It is however a useful indicator; particularly in science/R&D. I also made mention of several other indicators on the thread.

Comparatively, the US has ten winners in literature and the UK has nine, excluding T.S. Eliot, and the four Irish winners (Yeats, Shaw, Beckett and Heaney) who could arguably be counted as British. I suppose you do not care much for literature or cultural and intellectual heritage pre-1901, right?
Right, I don't care at all on this thread since we're discussing contemporary education. Comparing the education system of Britain when it was the preeminent superpower a century ago, with that of the contemporary United States wouldn't make much sense.

EDIT:
Most American institutions took elements from the European/Japanese and in particular the British system. However they have evolved to be radically different which is part of their success. Their internal-organisation, independence from central government planning, the reduced power of tenured academics, the role of President, the enterprise initiatives...etc
Reply 133
Rainfaery
I know; I am not slagging off APs. I was pointing out that they are different, but no less rigourous than A levels.

i figured. i just wanted to reinforce your argument that different doesnt mean bad.
Who ******* cares?
Reply 135
Liptease
I didn't claim it was ideal. It is however a useful indicator; particularly in science/R&D. I also made mention of several others on the thread.

Actually, the Nobel Prize is not a particularly good indicator of achievement in science because the award cannot be awarded to more than three people at once, which is incredibly problematic given the nature of contemporary academia and research, and there is a popular assumption that the award is given more often to academic discoveries rather than inventions and theories, which is obviously problematic for other reasons.

Right, I don't care at all on this thread since we're discussing contemporary education. Comparing Britain's education system when it was the preeminent superpower a century ago, with the modern United States wouldn't make much sense.

Actually, in some ways it would make more sense to compare British education (achievement) in the nineteenth and early-to-mid twentieth centuries; the assumption being that they are equivalent superpowers etc., etc.. Nevertheless, if you only want consider contemporary education: Toni Morrison won the literature prize in 1993 – there have been three UK winners (+ Heaney) since then, in fact, three since 2001! Is the US culturally degenerating, then?

Again, my argument is not that Europe or the UK is better than the US, but rather that it is easy to draw skewed conclusions when you do not acknowledge the full picture, or for political reasons you insist on isolating yourself; remember what happened last time a country indulged in splendid isolation!

On-topic, realising that I have not even attempted to answer the question thus far! I would suggest that America places far more value on education because of its greater social inequality, but the UK is more intellectual. However, its people are becoming more disenfranchised with higher education because of the increased number of students from the 1980s onwards and the failure to finance the industry properly, which negates the potential for social mobility by burdening graduates with massive debt. For example, it is all well and good suggesting that students coming from poorer backgrounds do not pay anything to attend Harvard, but the reason Harvard are able to invest so heavily in scholarships is because the majority of its students do not require said scholarships; likewise, the maintenance grant at Oxford is far higher than at other universities because it too does not have that many students from poorer backgrounds, so it can afford to be generous.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the postgraduate forum last week, when someone arrogantly suggested that Harvard was better than Oxford for graduate study (in English), the latter receives almost twice as many applications than Harvard, when you negate the population difference. But Harvard's acceptance rate is around 10% lower, which would suggest it is more competitive, right? But the cost of studying in the US is higher than in the UK, which could explain the difference. Notice the endlessly circular argumentation?

Find somewhere you like and get your head down; do not pay any attention to anyone else!
Rainfaery
Do you have any proof for that claim?

Well my mom has a biology degree from England and my dad has the same degree from America. They both got firsts, yet when my mom looks at my dads past work it seems at a slightly lower level.

My teacher also called american degrees 'mickey mouse degrees'

I can't prove anything, I don't have a degree, these are the mee opinions of people who have experienced university in both places
xSkyFire
King's is 27th for English, that's not all that brilliant..

And... what's your point? :rolleyes:
Reply 138
evantej
Actually, the Nobel Prize is not a particularly good indicator of achievement in science because the award cannot be awarded to more than three people at once, which is incredibly problematic given the nature of contemporary academia and research, and there is a popular assumption that the award is given more often to academic discoveries rather than inventions and theories, which is obviously problematic for other reasons.
Of course the Nobel prize has limitations in the measure of science. However, what limitations there are apply equally to US institutions which only go to reinforce the great disparity even when population is taken into account.

Actually, in some ways it would make more sense to compare British education (achievement) in the nineteenth and early-to-mid twentieth centuries; the assumption being that they are equivalent superpowers etc., etc.. Nevertheless, if you only want consider contemporary education: Toni Morrison won the literature prize in 1993 – there have been three UK winners (+ Heaney) since then, in fact, three since 2001! Is the US culturally degenerating, then?
The systems of education in both states has evolved significantly over the last century making comparisons problematic. That is taking nothing away from British (achievement) contributions to the modern world, but doesn't help us here.

Laureates are awarded for a body of work, often outside of academia, ditto for the peace prize. Your discussing literary standing, not university education. Still: Doris Lessing (whom I adore) never attended university, was educated in Africa (where she wrote her first novel), and has never as far as I know been a visiting professor, she certainly isn't one now. Harold Pinter never finished his stint at a dramatic school, and was disillusioned with higher education.

Again, my argument is not that Europe or the UK is better than the US, but rather that it is easy to draw skewed conclusions when you do not acknowledge the full picture, or for political reasons you insist on isolating yourself; remember what happened last time a country indulged in splendid isolation!
This is an education system that has looked to bring the best elements of the world in; from Oxbridge in the UK, Wilhelm von Humboldt's German technology institute, Japanese Kaizen. Isolationist is hardly the word I would use.

On-topic, realising that I have not even attempted to answer the question thus far! I would suggest that America places far more value on education because of its greater social inequality, but the UK is more intellectual.
That may well be true, yet their are also deeper reasons; Americas founding universities were at the fore of the revolution (and primary targets for the British), and have played an active part in American life. Culturally Americans regard universities as more than ivory towers: British philosopher Russell recalled how astonished he was during a visit to a Midwestern University, in that if any vegetable on a farm went wrong the university would dispatch a scientist to investigate. This practical worldly application is demonstrated in the way in which American universities and industry are bonded, from the manufacturing of the early motor car in MoTown to silicon valley.

However, its people are becoming more disenfranchised with higher education because of the increased number of students from the 1980s onwards and the failure to finance the industry properly, which negates the potential for social mobility by burdening graduates with massive debt. For example, it is all well and good suggesting that students coming from poorer backgrounds do not pay anything to attend Harvard, but the reason Harvard are able to invest so heavily in scholarships is because the majority of its students do not require said scholarships; likewise, the maintenance grant at Oxford is far higher than at other universities because it too does not have that many students from poorer backgrounds, so it can afford to be generous.
American institutions earn their funds fiercely competing for federal research grants, private grants, corporate grants. They own licence fees and royalties which pay handsomely every year. Many have venture capital investment funds, and start up Businesses. All this means that they can't simply rest on their reputation. Harvard doesn't rely on tuition fees for it's income.

You only need to look at NYU in the 1970's, a poor university with an even worse reputation, at one point it even sold it's main campus. NYU transformed itself into a prestigious, and wealthy institute. Simply charging more wasn't the secret of it's turnaround, who was going to pay high sums to go to NYU back then?

Anyway, as I mentioned in the postgraduate forum last week, when someone arrogantly suggested that Harvard was better than Oxford for graduate study (in English), the latter receives almost twice as many applications than Harvard, when you negate the population difference. But Harvard's acceptance rate is around 10% lower, which would suggest it is more competitive, right? But the cost of studying in the US is higher than in the UK, which could explain the difference. Notice the endlessly circular argumentation?
I would never argue reading a subject like English or philosophy is going to be "better" at Harvard than Oxford. Equally the American approach to a subject like anthropology is radically different from a British one, and it would depend entirely on which mind set the student prefers most. Though the fact that just about every undergraduate no matter their major may have had some experience of literature, history, art, chemistry, mathematics, languages has great advantages. America has plenty of problems a lot of what makes the system so wonderful are under threat, but that doesn't take away from the advantages the system as a whole.

Find somewhere you like and get your head down; do not pay any attention to anyone else!
True. :smile:
Difficult to say b/c of varying measures

/thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending