The Student Room Group

BTECs vs GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayseta
I'm currently in year 11 studying for my GCSEs. At the present time I'm thinking about AS choices and university more than I did in year 9 (at the time of selecting GCSE subjects to take), and I'm a bit confused.

In year 9, we were encouraged to select BTEC options as they allowed us to receive two grades equivalent to GCSEs, but now I'm concerned as to whether this will affect my choices in the future.

I've completed my BTECs, which are Certificate Business and Art & Design, where I got Distinction *'s in both. Are BTECs only 'frowned upon' at A level or at GCSE level also? Sorry if this question has been asked already but I'd appreciate any constructive replies... thank you.

This gets me SO angry - I cannot believe schools try to convince their students that BTECs are BETTER than GCSE's!!! They KNOW it's not going to help their future careers, it's just to boost their scores in league tables. If they have so many people pass something then up they go! And BTEC's are easiest to pass. I was told the exact same story, that overall it would give me more GCSEs. As soon as I got to college and enrolled for my courses, the subject which I took a BTEC in was completely disregarded, therefore I had one (or two!) less GCSEs. I'm sorry to say it's absolute b*******. BTEC's are a million times easier than GCSEs and A-levels - they are not academic subjects and it's laughable when they are compared to GCSEs or A-levels. I once heard that a school was making Science a compulsory BTEC in year 10/11. I would have died laughing if it wasn't so pitiful. When you go to do A-levels DO NOT be tricked into doing BTECs instead of A-levels. They ARE frowned upon by Universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
The Btecs from your KS4 will not have a negative impact unless you are applying to one of the few Universities that prioritise GCSEs

Regarding Btec at KS5 this really depends on the course that you wish to look at for University

For example ... I know people who have used Btec Art&Design to go onto high end Art based University courses

Ditto with Btec Music Technology

In addition the Btecs in Caring (there are a few) have given people opportunities to go to university for related degrees

There are long term prospects that Btecs at KS5 support

However ... KS5 Btecs for academic university courses are a no-no
The only BTEC i am doing in year 11 is science and tbh I find it so much more better than additional science. I don't think universities look down upon it, it's equivalent to two GCSEs after all.. :smile: if that makes sense.
Original post by Polonium
Not trying to start an argument or anything but what about degrees which are solely coursework based, do they favour BTEC's or frown upon them?

Also I have only ever seen one degree which was 100% coursework and it was a Film Studies degree. There could be more I don't know.

My brother does a 100% coursework degree.
Reply 24
If you have at least 8 GCSEs A*-C including Maths, English and Double Science, there is no need to worry IMO. Even for Oxbridge that's enough (though there may be some unis that are more picky about (number of) GCSEs like Birmingham for Medicine and perhaps LSE (rumours)). If you are really worried, just pick up one more GCSE in 6th form.

BTEC Science instead of GCSEs is much more problematic, especially if you want to do something science related - you may not even get accepted to do A-Level Bio / Chem / Physics with that.
Reply 25
Does anyone know in what way they're equivalent to however many GCSEs? Is it points wise? Our BTEC ICT is supposedly worth 4 As, but the work is definitely easier.
Original post by Safiya122
The only BTEC i am doing in year 11 is science and tbh I find it so much more better than additional science. I don't think universities look down upon it, it's equivalent to two GCSEs after all.. :smile: if that makes sense.

But believe me, it's not equivalent to two GCSEs. BTECs are for "less able" students, so how can they be worth more?
Original post by Vernish
Does anyone know in what way they're equivalent to however many GCSEs? Is it points wise? Our BTEC ICT is supposedly worth 4 As, but the work is definitely easier.

I did BTEC ICT at GCSE and they told us it was worth 4 As also. It just isn't true. As I mentioned in a previous post, when I got to college and applied for a-levels, they completely disregarded it.
The amount of times I've had people coming up to me telling me they've got 12 A*s at A-levels (when they are in fact BTECs), trying to make out they have more than me and that obviously must mean they're smarter than me, makes my blood boil.
Reply 29
The amount of times I've had people coming up to me telling me they've got 12 A*s at A-levels (when they are in fact BTECs), trying to make out they have more than me and that obviously must mean they're smarter than me, makes my blood boil.

I couldn't agree more.
We finished our Business GCSE Double Award and I got A* A so we all now have to do a BTEC award and we have 5 units... 1, 2, 3, 5 and 8. I have been finished the first four for the past two months and well, they haven't even gotten the assigments for unit 8 yet and the worse thing people are actually struggling with it.
From a teachers point of view it is annoying when people are talking about BTECs and then say they have students who get A*s in whatever level they are teaching. BTECs are only equivalent to GCSE/A Level etc (depending on level).

The media/arts subjects can be 100% coursework. I know for the Production Arts modules I lecture on there is a an option to be 100% vocational with no exams.

I have also taught HNC/HNDs and can say they are worth it if you don't fancy degrees and they do make employers look at you.
Original post by XxSophie01xX
But believe me, it's not equivalent to two GCSEs. BTECs are for "less able" students, so how can they be worth more?

Btecs are not for less able students

They simply offer a different way of learning
Original post by HarryPotterFanx
We finished our Business GCSE Double Award and I got A* A so we all now have to do a BTEC award and we have 5 units... 1, 2, 3, 5 and 8. I have been finished the first four for the past two months and well, they haven't even gotten the assigments for unit 8 yet and the worse thing people are actually struggling with it.

You should be spending your time revising for other courses

You cannot double count a Btec and a GCSE in the same subject so you are working for no qualification
BTECs can be useful but it does depend on what you want to do. This is an old thread but if like the OP and your looking at something like medicine then there isn't much point having them as they aren't seen as academic and universities won't see them as anything. On the other hand I know people who took BTECs at A-Level and are now doing teaching degrees- it depends on your career choice and how the BTEC links.

Generally though I'd definatly say avoid them. They are traditionally for people who don't do well on exams and are much better with vocational tasks- it's great for them as it does give them a qualification but it also means more academically able kids are encouraged to take them when they are just gonna get in the way. I was fortunate in that my school didn't seem to like them much outside of IT where I got an OCR national certificate but if I'm honest I don't even bother writing it down as no one accepts it- I even know a girl who had to fight her way into a IT As level because they said she needed a B at GCSE. As long as you get a fair amount of good GCSEs I wouldn't worry about it though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
I think it is better if you have GCSEs, I don't know why some schools encourage btecs so much, it's not fair on the kids to tell them Btecs are better than GCSEs.
Original post by TenOfThem
You should be spending your time revising for other courses

You cannot double count a Btec and a GCSE in the same subject so you are working for no qualification

My school thought of that :wink:

It's Enterprise. I've already done two GCSEs in Business cause it was a double award. However the BTEC Is Enterprise and not Business.
Original post by HarryPotterFanx
My school thought of that :wink:

It's Enterprise. I've already done two GCSEs in Business cause it was a double award. However the BTEC Is Enterprise and not Business.

Well at least there will be a qualification :smile:
As long as you have GCSEs in Maths and English I don't think 95% of universities give a damm.
Original post by TenOfThem
Well at least there will be a qualification :smile:

If it was BTEC Business I wouldn't do it. :P I did the work quickly so I could revise for other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest