The Student Room Group

BTECs vs GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
When i asked about BTECs when choosing my GCSEs they recommended me not to do them as they are looked down on compared to other GCSEs
Original post by Kitty.Cat
When i asked about BTECs when choosing my GCSEs they recommended me not to do them as they are looked down on compared to other GCSEs

Top Courses for your GCSE options,which required interviews to be considered,where all BTECs or Vocational Diplomas-I didn't choose these courses but I did choose OCR Nationals for 2 of my 3 options.
Original post by XxSophie01xX
But believe me, it's not equivalent to two GCSEs. BTECs are for "less able" students, so how can they be worth more?

I don't think they are for "less able" students. I'm not considered that type of student. I chose BTEC science because I prefer coursework, does that make me a less able student or simply someone who prefers not having an extra exam to stress and study for?
Original post by Safiya122
I chose BTEC science because ...

I agree they are not for "less able" students

But I hope that you are not intending to take A Level Sciences
Original post by TenOfThem

Oh no definitely not. The BTEC in itself has way too much coursework for me :L although Im somebody who enjoys coursework and essay writing, with all the studying I'm having to do for my GCSE exams and the BTEC coursework, it's getting too much for me..
(edited 12 years ago)

Unfournately,you aren't allowed to take A-Level Sciences with BTECs-You have to have Core and Additional both to Grade B and not even applied science GCSEs count-My college is strick on Sciences:colondollar: but I would be aright to take them because I do Core and Additional but I don't plan on taking them because I'm terrible at Science and am on a B at the moment in Core Science,compared to my A/A*s in other subjects.
Original post by Dalek1099
Unfournately,you aren't allowed to take A-Level Sciences with BTECs-You have to have Core and Additional both to Grade B and not even applied science GCSEs count-My college is strick on Sciences:colondollar: but I would be aright to take them because I do Core and Additional but I don't plan on taking them because I'm terrible at Science and am on a B at the moment in Core Science,compared to my A/A*s in other subjects.

They can only stop you doing a subject if it is on a banned combination list. It is an equivalent qualification as a GCSE so shouldn't actually matter if you've done GCSE or BTEC. You can do a science at some uni's purely on BTEC, I wouldn't recommend it having spoken to some lecturers but you can.
Reply 47
Original post by ayseta
I know BTECs are looked down upon at A level equivalent by universities but does this apply to GCSE level? I agree BTECs are easy... but I didn't really have an option. In addition I'm studying 8 GCSEs and am predicted high grades so will BTECs drag me down a lot ? :s-smilie:

As long as you do not base your application to uni just because you got a distinction in a BTEC. It is a reminder that it may be equivalent in UCAS points but it does not mean it is equal when it comes to academic purposes.

It is probably a good thing that you took them but do not rely on them!
Reply 48
I don't think they are so much at GCSE, but at A Level I think it may be slightly more difficult to get into uni as they're easier, :/
Original post by Madmia
I don't think they are so much at GCSE, but at A Level I think it may be slightly more difficult to get into uni as they're easier, :/

i know for a fact that isn't the case, as from this year applications uni's have to treat BTECs the same as A Levels. chance of that happening in some uni's however i think will be slim.

BTECs aren't easier at all, they are just a different way of learning.
Original post by clareramos
They can only stop you doing a subject if it is on a banned combination list. It is an equivalent qualification as a GCSE so shouldn't actually matter if you've done GCSE or BTEC.

Schools and sixth form colleges set their own admissions criteria in general and for specific courses

The rigour for Btec Science is not comparable with that of GCSE and there is no guarantee of knowledge or skill base

i know for a fact that isn't the case, as from this year applications uni's have to treat BTECs the same as A Levels. chance of that happening in some uni's however i think will be slim.

For some Btecs (practical subjects in particular) Universities have been considering Btecs to be equal (in some cases of more value) to A levels for many years ...
The content of a B-Tech at A-Level can be written on the back of your hand. Plus you are labelled with the name 'techer' or 'retard' or 'b-tech boy'. So, I advise strongly to challenge yourself and take a difficult/challenging subject such as English Literature or History.
Schools and sixth form colleges set their own admissions criteria in general and for specific courses

The rigour for Btec Science is not comparable with that of GCSE and there is no guarantee of knowledge or skill base

I am aware of that, but on the introductory packs that teachers get it does say "All British Level 2 Qualifications should be accepted" however the next bit I think is slightly odd to have after that and I think should be changed "it is then up to the school to decide whether or not they accept all British Level 2 qualifications"

You do however have the problem were SFCs and F&HEs haven't bothered to change their admissions from the old spec to new spec for A Level and not taken in to account spec changes of level 2 qualifications.

I used to be one of the admissions tutors as part of my role when I used to teach at an SFC and can say some staff just said stick to the paper and seemed to ignore the clause that I said above about "All British Level 2 Qualifications" and just took what they wanted.

For some Btecs (practical subjects in particular) Universities have been considering Btecs to be equal (in some cases of more value) to A levels for many years ...

I am aware of that I do lecture atm on a course that is a vocational course and have lectured HNC and HND courses and it is very different teaching style but they learn in many cases the same thing but through a different way.
Reply 53

BTECs aren't easier at all, they are just a different way of learning.

That's what I mean, It will be slim the universities who completely put that into place, and may I ask why people who aren't 'top of the class' opt to do BTEC's rather than A Levels and pass easily?
BTECs require a lot more work than A-Levels and are a lot more stressful than A-Levels because you have loads of work to complete and have to work hard,where as in A-Level you have exams,so you can at least attempt the questions and revise them but for BTECs you have to be 100% concentrated on the course or you will not complete all of your coursework in time.
Original post by Madmia
That's what I mean, It will be slim the universities who completely put that into place, and may I ask why people who aren't 'top of the class' opt to do BTEC's rather than A Levels and pass easily?

they are told they're easy. I remember when doing my BEd that I was told BTECs were for people who were seen as 'failing' I know in the past 10 years that has changed but that is still how quite a few teachers still see it.

Many universities have a range for admission. So someone could be asked to get 260 for a course and someone else could get asked 280, so don't see how they could say it's fair for any qualification, let alone be fair for BTECs
Original post by Safiya122
I don't think they are for "less able" students. I'm not considered that type of student. I chose BTEC science because I prefer coursework, does that make me a less able student or simply someone who prefers not having an extra exam to stress and study for?

If they were the equivalent to GCSES/A-levels, then why do some colleges and Universities (Particularly those ranked higher) not accept BTECs?
Reply 57
No, universities don't really look into GCSE grades much, and if you take good a-levels and hopefully do well in them you should be fine

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 58
Original post by XxSophie01xX
If they were the equivalent to GCSES/A-levels, then why do some colleges and Universities (Particularly those ranked higher) not accept BTECs?

I have to agree. In my school, the only people that do BTECs are those in the very bottom sets. So, for example, the bottom two sets in my year did BTEC Science at GCSE, but no-one else did.
The arrogance of people who think A-Levels are infinitely superior to BTEC astounds me. :indiff: Today the gap has narrowed for University applicants where the difference between BTEC and A-Level, unless you intend to go to Oxbridge, is of no relevance.

A-Level = A way of getting a qualification.
BTEC = Another way of getting a qualification.

For those who think the BTECs are a waste of time; please tell that to the thousands of teachers, study support groups and students who are teaching or learning the subjects. :rollseyes:

Quick Reply

Latest