The Student Room Group

BTECs vs GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxSophie01xX
If they were the equivalent to GCSES/A-levels, then why do some colleges and Universities (Particularly those ranked higher) not accept BTECs?

You mean the elitist Universities in the Oxbridge area, comprised of largely arrogant and pompous students? :rolleyes:
If they were the equivalent to GCSES/A-levels, then why do some colleges and Universities (Particularly those ranked higher) not accept BTECs?

They are equivalent! And you just answered your own question..it's the high ranked who don't because it's more or less based on coursework, it's not the most challenging thing you will come across.
Reply 62
Original post by Dalek1099
BTECs require a lot more work than A-Levels and are a lot more stressful than A-Levels because you have loads of work to complete and have to work hard,where as in A-Level you have exams,so you can at least attempt the questions and revise them but for BTECs you have to be 100% concentrated on the course or you will not complete all of your coursework in time.

That's a bold statement to make for someone who's just finished their GCSEs! A lot of a level students take the approach of only revising around exam period but to be fair they're probably the ones who do badly. I just finished my a levels and knew people doing btecs that finished their course at Christmas. Says a lot doesn't it?
Original post by ayseta
That's a bold statement to make for someone who's just finished their GCSEs! A lot of a level students take the approach of only revising around exam period but to be fair they're probably the ones who do badly. I just finished my a levels and knew people doing btecs that finished their course at Christmas. Says a lot doesn't it?

Had they done the right amount of work to get the right grade though? and generally BTECs are meanty to have more work than A-Levels but that work is meant to be easier than A-Level work and I'm going to add in some things I found out,from my college:s-smilie:omeone got into Durham for Primary Teaching doing a BTEC and my brother failed getting the equivalent of A*AB at A-Level, when A*s weren't available and didn't get in and the college prospectus had details of people getting good jobs just from BTECs and how BTECs automatically qualify you for many jobs, giving numerous example, where as I don't think A-Levels do.
Reply 64
Original post by Dalek1099
Had they done the right amount of work to get the right grade though? and generally BTECs are meanty to have more work than A-Levels but that work is meant to be easier than A-Level work and I'm going to add in some things I found out,from my college:s-smilie:omeone got into Durham for Primary Teaching doing a BTEC and my brother failed getting the equivalent of A*AB at A-Level, when A*s weren't available and didn't get in and the college prospectus had details of people getting good jobs just from BTECs and how BTECs automatically qualify you for many jobs, giving numerous example, where as I don't think A-Levels do.

I know lots of A level students who worked very hard yet didn't perform as well in their exams as they would have liked. Obviously there are exceptions... universities do take more into account than grades but let's be honest, most successful Durham applicants will have A level qualifications. BTECs are great if you want to go straight into work after sixth form - the reason I started this post is because I applied to medicine which (now I know) has specific requirements.
Btec's are worth much less than gcse,s.
even if they say the are equivalent to a gcse, realistically they aren't.
They probably wont be counted as a gcse equivalent.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
You mean the elitist Universities in the Oxbridge area, comprised of largely arrogant and pompous students? :rolleyes:

How would you know that they are arrogant and pompous?maybe they got into Oxbridge because they were smart and worked hard.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sellerofdreams
How would you know that they are arrogant and pompous?maybe they got into Oxbridge because they were smart and worked hard.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes, mostly spoon-fed and from well-off backgrounds; maybe privately educated. Evidently you've not seen the application forms for Oxford University then who are unnecessarily picky in who they choose to be accepted - despite candidates having virtually the same amazing grades. Didn't Oxford get a slamming for this a while ago?

I haven't got a problem with Uni people; not at all. But graduates from the 'better' Universities like Oxbridge seem to work in their heads that because they can afford it, it makes them instantly better than there mere mortals who study at, say, Sheffield Polytechnic.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
x

Mostly, maybe because there is a correlation between private education and good grades.

Of course private schools are going to focus on Oxbridge candidates and are equipped to do so.

I'm from a "poor" school, in terms of grades and funding :colondollar: yet I still hope to apply to Cambridge. Our school has a link with Oxford which guarantees us an interview if we have the right grades.

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
The amount of times I've had people coming up to me telling me they've got 12 A*s at A-levels (when they are in fact BTECs), trying to make out they have more than me and that obviously must mean they're smarter than me, makes my blood boil.

I think you mean at GCSEs? You can't get 12 A*s at A-level, unless you're some robot genius..

Quick Reply

Latest