The Student Room Group

Quick question in German

Hey i've got a few more phrases I can't seem to word correctly, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand.

How would I say in German:

-In my opinion there are no advantages of camping.

- Homework is important as revision for exams.

- I save regularly, although I only get £10 per week and that is for bus money too. I am saving up for a computer.

- As he is quite strict, the students learn lots with him.

Reply 1
-In my opinion there are no advantages of camping.

- Homework is important as revision for exams.

- I save regularly, although I only get £10 per week and that is for bus money too. I am saving up for a computer.

- As he is quite strict, the students learn lots with him.

Meiner Ansicht nach hat Camping keine Vorteile.

Das Lösen von Hausaufgaben ist eine wichtige Vorbereitung für die Schulaufgaben.

Ich spare regelmäßig, obwohl ich nur zehn Pfund die Woche bekomme und das muss auch für den Bus langen. Ich spare um mir einen Computer zu kaufen.

Weil er ziemlich streng ist, lernen die Schüler viel bei ihm.
Reply 2
DerPumuckl
Das Lösen von Hausaufgaben ist eine wichtige Vorbereitung für die Schulaufgaben.
'Schulaufgaben' and 'Hausaufgaben' are the same thing.:wink: 'Exams' would be 'Klassenarbeiten', 'Klausuren' (mostly used for the exams sat during the last few years of school and exams in a university context) or, more generally, 'Prüfungen'.
Reply 3
hobnob
'Schulaufgaben' and 'Hausaufgaben' are the same thing.:wink: 'Exams' would be 'Klassenarbeiten', 'Klausuren' (mostly used for the exams sat during the last few years of school and exams in a university context) or, more generally, 'Prüfungen'.

You're telling a German that he is wrong? :biggrin:

In Gymnasien up to Class 11 major exams are called "Schulaufgaben". Minor exams are called "Exen" or "Stegreifaufgaben". The explanation is in the name, Hausaufgaben are exercises done at home, Schulaufgaben are graded exercises done at school.

From then on exams are called Klausuren (K12, K13, Universities). You are right that a more general term would be Prüfungen.
Reply 4
DerPumuckl
You're telling a German that he is wrong? :biggrin:
Yes.:p:
In Gymnasien up to Class 11 major exams are called "Schulaufgaben". Minor exams are called "Exen" or "Stehgreifaufgaben". The explanation is in the name, Hausaufgaben are exercises done at home, Schulaufgaben are graded exercises done at school.

Hmm, I suppose the usage might vary between regions, but 'Schulaufgaben' certainly doesn't mean 'exams' everywhere... Whenever I've heard it used, it was as a synonym for 'Hausaufgaben'. And I've never ever come across either 'Exen' or 'Stegreifaufgaben'.:confused:

Whereabouts in Germany are you from, if I may ask?
Reply 5
hobnob
Yes.:p:

Hmm, I suppose the usage might vary between regions, but 'Schulaufgaben' certainly doesn't mean 'exams' everywhere... Whenever I've heard it used, it was as a synonym for 'Hausaufgaben'. And I've never ever come across either 'Exen' or 'Stegreifaufgaben'.:confused:

Whereabouts in Germany are you from, if I may ask?

I'm from Bavaria. It might be a regional thing but I doubt it since Gymnasien are not very regionally-biased but try to do everything in "Hochdeutsch".

And yeah "Exen" ("Stegreifaufgaben" is a very old-fashioned word not used much anymore) are like pop-quizzes, unannounced 15 minute exams.

Darn, being Bavarian got me once again! Just saw this on the German wiki (Schulaufgaben for exams is strictly a Bavarian thing lol!!!!):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulaufgabe

Okay, OP take Prüfungen or Klausuren.
Reply 6
Thanks!
DerPumuckl

Ich spare regelmäßig, obwohl ich nur zehn Pfund die Woche bekomme und das muss auch für den Bus langen. Ich spare um mir einen Computer zu kaufen.

Native speaker here! ...though my grammar really isn't perfect. I just go with what sounds right. :s-smilie:

But this translation is pretty much what I'd have gone for. I would probably say 'Meinung' rather than 'Ansicht'. Also, shouldn't that 'muss' be at the end of the sentence?
Reply 8
DerPumuckl

Ich würde wahrscheinlich Zelten anstatt Camping sagen.
Reply 9
Exam = Schulaufgaben:
Well, at last not in nothern parts of germany. More common are expressions like "Klassenarbeit" or only "Arbeiten".
barefootfiona
Native speaker here! ...though my grammar really isn't perfect. I just go with what sounds right. :s-smilie:

But this translation is pretty much what I'd have gone for. I would probably say 'Meinung' rather than 'Ansicht'. Also, shouldn't that 'muss' be at the end of the sentence?

1. Ansicht, Meinung - both okay.
2. No. Even though i found the English sentence weird to start with.

pie_monster

Ich würde wahrscheinlich Zelten anstatt Camping sagen.

Yeah... zelten is too old-fashioned for me but yes its the non-anglicized word.

Rogerenden

Exam = Schulaufgaben:
Well, at last not in nothern parts of germany. More common are expressions like "Klassenarbeit" or only "Arbeiten".

I don't care about ze Prussians up North. :biggrin: Here in Bavaria we call them Schulaufgaben. But yes the OP should use a different word.
Reply 11
exams are NOT Schulaufgaben :biggrin: and I´ve never ever heard of the words Exen/Stegreifaufgaben in my entire - German - life. Must be a truly Bavarian thing to say :smile: here in Berlin and "Prussia" :wink: exams are "Arbeiten" until Year 10 and "Klausuren" from Year 11 to university. And thats the correct way to say it :p: just to add up a little bit more to the general confusion :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending