The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
laurakate1988
If you want something enough, it can be yours. I've never understood this whole fear culture of anything being less than an A being some sort of fail.

Exactly. Don't give up buddy.

Give Extra and Clearing a shot, and if things don't work out with those for this years intake research and have a look into what will strengthen your application for next time such as more relevant A-levels, and work experience (and perhaps some volunteering) in the Law field.

I majored in Music throughout my education (GCSE, ALevel, Degree), and I'm about to start a degree in Nursing...they're completely chalk and cheese but it didn't stop me.

If you want it then you'll get it, it may just take time :smile:
Reply 41
Rooster523
Didn't know that in truth, from an outsider looking in though it makes sense.
anyhow, the rest of my points are definitely true

Yeah, it does seem logical that you'd need a Law A Level to do a Law degree. Silly universities :rolleyes:

That they are :smile:
Leto
Yeah, it does seem logical that you'd need a Law A Level to do a Law degree. Silly universities :rolleyes:

That they are :smile:

What are you talking about? Let me repeat the very true point that Law A level is neither an advantage or disadvantage for a Law degree - universities don't care either way, and as somebody said it may be the case where a university does not particularly like to see it at all due to its superficial and misleading nature compared to degree level.
Reply 43
Seriously reconsider doing law, you will find it too difficult and uninteresting if you ever are accepted for it...
Reply 44
*Star*Guitar*
What are you talking about? Let me repeat the very true point that Law A level is neither an advantage or disadvantage for a Law degree - universities don't care either way, and as somebody said it may be the case where a university does not particularly like to see it at all due to its superficial and misleading nature compared to degree level.

Um, well, yeah, that was me. I said it.

Let me summarise for you. What happened was y'see, a guy said one of the reasons OP didn't get in to a Law degree was that OP didn't do Law A Level. I said, 'no that's not why, it's because he did Drama and Media Studies'. The guy replies saying 'Oh, I didn't know Law A Level wasn't a requirement' and then I said 'I know, it's weird it doesn't work like that'.

It's my very true point that you're quoting at me to attack my reply to ignorant-about-Law-degree-guy... :rolleyes:
Leto
Um, well, yeah, that was me. I said it.

Let me summarise for you. What happened was y'see, a guy said one of the reasons OP didn't get in to a Law degree was that OP didn't do Law A Level. I said, 'no that's not why, it's because he did Drama and Media Studies'. The guy replies saying 'Oh, I didn't know Law A Level wasn't a requirement' and then I said 'I know, it's weird it doesn't work like that'.

It's my very true point that you're quoting at me to attack my reply to ignorant-about-Law-degree-guy... :rolleyes:

That's who I meant to direct my post to then. Sorry; watching film so not really concentrating on this.
Reply 46
*Star*Guitar*
That's who I meant to direct my post to then. Sorry; watching film so not really concentrating on this.

Aw that's ok lol :smile: I was kinda confused.
Achived and Predicted - BBCC

When their entry requirements are a minimum of BBB.

I wonder why?
Reply 48
Angelil
^^ OP - I wouldn't advise you to send your PS through to people who you don't know, who may not even be at uni yet themselves...(ex-PS Helper talking here)

Though, given your success rate, I suppose it's unlikely that anyone would want to steal your PS...

Thats not very nice now is it?:s-smilie:
OK I'm going to be brutally honest:

What is the point of doing Law with such **** grades? Even if you do get accepted onto a course you are never going to get a half decent law related job out of it so what is the point? Do something else, get a good degree and go and have a career in something that you can be genuinely successful in. You are wasting your time.
Give your PS to the PS helpers on here.

And maybe forget doing a law degree, do something else, and then a graduate diploma in law or summat. :dontknow:
Reply 51
Slumdog
Thats not very nice now is it?:s-smilie:

I'd say it's harsh but fair. I didn't even get started on the OP's A Level choices or on their "**** grades" like others have done. If you're going to start telling people on this thread that they're not behaving nicely then I wouldn't start with me.
unknownrebalz
Don't feel it's like your at fault! There is a huge deficit of university places this year so people are finding it hard to get places.
Also, because you chose Media studies you may initially find it harder to get a place in a classic subject such as law as Media Studies is seen as a cop-out subject.
I would advise you to still go through extra and if need be clearing as you will get a place with persistence.
I know so many people with good grades who are in the same predicament as you.
Good luck!
Keep the faith

Well it is their fault.

Taking subjects such as media studies and still getting B's and C's, and then expecting to do law at some pretty good universities, Glasgow etc...

Also, resits mean you need to get better grades than if you took them in one year, so obviously your predicted grades aren't up to par.

You didn't get the offers because you have low grades and had to resit. Not because of the increase in university applicants, last year, you wouldn't have gotten an offer either; law with those grades.

Alot of people on this forum have gotten offers from most if not all their choices, I myself have aswell, bar one unsuccessful.

My advice to you is, don't abandon your desire to do law, work at it and get it, i'm not trying to come across as mean or arrogant, i'm just trying to wake you up to the facts, because you can't take any more chances.

I wish you the best.
Angelil
I'd say it's harsh but fair. I didn't even get started on the OP's A Level choices or on their "**** grades" like others have done. If you're going to start telling people on this thread that they're not behaving nicely then I wouldn't start with me.

I respect you for standing up to the truth.

I'm sick of everyone suger coating everything for all these OP's...It's not helping them one bit.
Reply 54
^Cheers :smile: if I hadn't used my rep today I'd give you some :smile:
Angelil
^Cheers :smile: if I hadn't used my rep today I'd give you some :smile:

Thank you, it's the thought that counts :smile:
Rooster523
Well if you're unsure of why you're not getting into Uni, let me break it down for you.

A) You've applied to law, a very competitive course even though you haven't done an A-Level in law.

B) You've applied to Uni's which you're not good enough for to be frank, why apply to a BBB course if you're not at BBB level. Why should they accept you if you're below the standard? Would you be annoyed if you only got 1 major and failed your driving test?

C) If you didn't realise this after a second time round you're probably not smart enough to go to Uni...

Ouch.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=712389

Law is considered the same as media studies and drama(Y)

OP go through extra and clearing, if not I reccommend doing a less competitive subject and then law conversion.
Reply 57
Lousy subjects+ lousy grades+ applying to popular universities+ at a time where applicants are greater than ever and places are being cut.

Its not really a suprise, is it? As someone said, lower your expectations, and try clearing.
tinytinygirl
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=712389

Law is considered the same as media studies and drama(Y)

OP go through extra and clearing, if not I reccommend doing a less competitive subject and then law conversion.

How come you never retaliated to points 2. and 3.?

Is it because those points by themselves correctly evaluate the reasons why the OP isn't getting offers?

OP + Everyone:

If you want to be the 'nice guy' then don't tell the OP what they want to here, tell him the truth.

They've applied to a too competitive course, with utterly ridiculous grades and subjects completely non-relative to law, they have been forced to resit and remain with very bad predicted grades.

Also, if you can barely get BBB at A-level, in one sitting, then I can't even bear the thought of embarking upon legal studies; they will be worn before they attend their first lecture.
CliffordChance
How come you never retaliated to points 2. and 3.?

Is it because those points by themselves correctly evaluate the reasons why the OP isn't getting offers?

I agree with point 2. I just decided not to comment as it's all been said really, harsher that I would have done so, but said nevertheless.
I personally would apply to one uni above grades, three of predicted grades and one below for insurance. So yes the OP was not smart with their university choices.
Point 3 I disagree with. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they are not smart enough for uni. Law was not the best choice for the OP in all honesty as you need to be from a prestigious Law school for careers really, so law conversion would be a better plan.

Latest

Trending

Trending