The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

crackingod
Do you not realize the logical fallacy in what your saying?

So by the end of the year you will have:
BBCC (including media studies which doesn't really count)
And you'r applying for unis which at minimum ask for BBB, you shouldn't even be suprised you got rejected.

Three choices:
(1) you go through clearing/extra, lowering your expectations to unis in the BBC tier
(2) go for a subject less competitive than law and then do a GDL after your degree
(3) Take a year or two, think about your options and take a good qualification (3 good A-levels, IB etc...) and achieve the grades that unis expect

aaaargggh media studies counts!
DannyBoy123
OK I'm going to be brutally honest:

What is the point of doing Law with such **** grades? Even if you do get accepted onto a course you are never going to get a half decent law related job out of it so what is the point? Do something else, get a good degree and go and have a career in something that you can be genuinely successful in. You are wasting your time.

Sadly, this.
Parrotstock
aaaargggh media studies counts!

Let's be serious shall we?

They don't.

There are hardly any transferable skills from media studies which go towards a law degree, in comparison to History or English.
Reply 63
Fact is, if you have those kind of grades ESPECIALLY in those subjects, you won't get anything for law.

You are better of applying for something like Film Studies at a decent uni than law...
You applied to courses that ask for higher grades than you have....and your subjects are not the best either for applying for a Law degree.
CliffordChance
Also, if you can barely get BBB at A-level, in one sitting, then I can't even bear the thought of embarking upon legal studies; they will be worn before they attend their first lecture.

I didn't get the equivalent UCAS points for BBB at A-level, which at the time were the requirements for my insurance (they still took me though, and they ask for ABB now).
I got a C in law (though about 6 marks off a B) at A-level. Now I've gotten firsts and 2:1s in my degree. Just because someone hasn't got a great grade at A-level does not mean that a degree is out of their reach.
I don't know if the OP genuinely struggled with A-levels or didn't do his best; I know for me it was the latter and that A-level study was so boring and unmotivational compared to the work on my degree. So I wouldn't judge so quickly.
blindedbythelights
I don't know what to do. This is now the second time that I have been rejected from all my applications despite a good Personal Statement and grades. I really don't know what I'm going to do? I tried Clearance last Summer and it drove me mad - I didn't want to go to any of the places left and the places I did want to go were all full. :frown:

I mean, I can understand getting rejected from Strathclyde for Law who are asking for AAB.. but I even got rejected from Oxford Brookes, who are asking for BBB. Surely my grades aren't THAT bad? I already have a B in Media Studies and a C in Drama... I'm also doing A3 History with a predicted grade of a B and I have just resat English Lit, hoping to get the C up even higher.

Soooo... what happens now? Should I even bother contacting the Universities to ask if I can reapply in Extra/Clearing? Will I get a place at Uni of Sussex with these grades if I apply in clearing, EVEN if I've been rejected now>?

Completely ruined my life.

Try applying through UCAS EXTRA for a university with grades that are more close to what you are aiming for I.E BBC ? Applying for AAB and BBB might be the reason you were unsuccessful seeing as they may feel other applicants are more likely to reach those grades. However, if those universities are ones that you want to go to, then maybe try clearing after getting your finalised grades.
Hopefully you get a place.
*Star*Guitar*
I didn't get the equivalent UCAS points for BBB at A-level, which at the time were the requirements for my insurance (they still took me though, and they ask for ABB now).
I got a C in law (though about 6 marks off a B) at A-level. Now I've gotten firsts and 2:1s in my degree. Just because someone hasn't got a great grade at A-level does not mean that a degree is out of their reach.
I don't know if the OP genuinely struggled with A-levels or didn't do his best; I know for me it was the latter and that A-level study was so boring and unmotivational compared to the work on my degree. So I wouldn't judge so quickly.

Good point. However, if as you said, the OP may have struggled with A-levels, then I doubt law would be suitable.
CliffordChance
Good point. However, if as you said, the OP may have struggled with A-levels, then I doubt law would be suitable.

Also, I'm curious to know - what makes you choose Clifford Chance over the other MC firms? I've visited their offices; they expect you to work and live there by the looks of things! They have a barber shop in there for crying out loud. :p:
*Star*Guitar*
Also, I'm curious to know - what makes you choose Clifford Chance over the other MC firms? I've visited their offices; they expect you to work and live there by the looks of things! They have a barber shop in there for crying out loud. :p:

I just liked the atmosphere and they were really friendly when I went for an insight visit, although to be fair i've not went to other firms as of yet.

What firms do you prefer/suggest for vac scheme purposes?
Sorry to hear this,
you should definitely go through Extra you might be surprised, but the sooner you do it the better! x
CliffordChance
I just liked the atmosphere and they were really friendly when I went for an insight visit.
What firms do you prefer/suggest for vac scheme purposes?

I've talked to two guys in particular from CC, one was quite stand-offish and the other was down to earth. I imagine such a big firm and different interviewing partners will mean that the trainees can be quite varied in personality.

I suggest whichever firms seem to suit you the most in terms of work type and load. You have three years before applying though so you don't really need to think about it at the moment - you'll have more of an idea after doing most of your uni modules (if you choose to do the LL.B) and going to law fairs etc. I didn't realise for sure that I wanted to be a corporate/commercial lawyer till taking company law in my final year!
Reply 72
Your fault for applying to uni's with way above you're expectations. Get off your high horse and muck it with everyone else in clearing.
Reply 73
CliffordChance
How come you never retaliated to points 2. and 3.?

Is it because those points by themselves correctly evaluate the reasons why the OP isn't getting offers?

OP + Everyone:

If you want to be the 'nice guy' then don't tell the OP what they want to here, tell him the truth.

They've applied to a too competitive course, with utterly ridiculous grades and subjects completely non-relative to law, they have been forced to resit and remain with very bad predicted grades.

Also, if you can barely get BBB at A-level, in one sitting, then I can't even bear the thought of embarking upon legal studies; they will be worn before they attend their first lecture.

I completely agree with you about people sugar coating their replies.

The OP needs to wake up. have no sympathy as this situation is largely down to a lack of research.

Maybe the OP should consider medicine instead?
Reply 74
Angelil
I'd say it's harsh but fair. I didn't even get started on the OP's A Level choices or on their "**** grades" like others have done. If you're going to start telling people on this thread that they're not behaving nicely then I wouldn't start with me.

Sorry if i offended you, i guess your right. But like you said the comment was quite harsh. :smile:
Reply 75
^^ Nope, no offence taken :smile:
CliffordChance
Well it is their fault.

Taking subjects such as media studies and still getting B's and C's, and then expecting to do law at some pretty good universities, Glasgow etc...

Also, resits mean you need to get better grades than if you took them in one year, so obviously your predicted grades aren't up to par.

You didn't get the offers because you have low grades and had to resit. Not because of the increase in university applicants, last year, you wouldn't have gotten an offer either; law with those grades.

Alot of people on this forum have gotten offers from most if not all their choices, I myself have aswell, bar one unsuccessful.

My advice to you is, don't abandon your desire to do law, work at it and get it, i'm not trying to come across as mean or arrogant, i'm just trying to wake you up to the facts, because you can't take any more chances.

I wish you the best.

OK but don't you need to be quoting the person who started this thread and not me? LOL
I just gave my advice and you've quoted me answering the question of the initial person.

And I do understand what you said but the fact that 1 in 4 people wont get a uni place this year does play a factor in not getting a place at unis you are clearly qualified for; along with subject, uni, personal statements, refrences etc..

Latest

Trending

Trending