The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accommodation 2010

Hi,

Sheffield's now my firm choice, but I didnt get a chance to see accommodation on the History+Politics open day :frown:

Ideally i'd like to live in flat of 8 or more, and self catering, and probably Endcliffe if possible. if anyone knows the type of accom. i should apply for, and has photos if they live there, that would be great :smile: cant really afford any more than £105 a week... thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With Endcliffe, it's just chance whether you end up in a six or eight person flat. There seems to be an equal spilt of six/eight person flats. In Ranmoor, they have more larger flats - I know a few people in ten plus person flats. I think there is a few in Endcliffe but they're a rarity.

I can't get any photos on my computer at the moment but if I managed it I'll post them.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
there's a video on the accommodation website that students made about Endcliffe, it shows more than the photos online. I was at the Open Day and was also hoping to see some accommodation...but loved the uni and course :smile:
Reply 3
When you apply, what is the process like? Do you just choose either Encliffe or Ranmoor or can you pick if you want a 6 or 8 person flat?
Reply 4
Well last year you chose whether you wanted catering or self catering and also whether you wanted ensuite or shared bathroom. Then you chose which village you wanted to be in so you couldn't specify the halls themselves (So either Endcliffe, Ranmoor, Tapton or City). I'm not sure whether Tapton is going to be available next year though. And then you chose the aspect which is more important. I suppose if you put in something in the other comments at the end they might consider it.
Reply 5
Sigma5116
Well last year you chose whether you wanted catering or self catering and also whether you wanted ensuite or shared bathroom. Then you chose which village you wanted to be in so you couldn't specify the halls themselves (So either Endcliffe, Ranmoor, Tapton or City). I'm not sure whether Tapton is going to be available next year though. And then you chose the aspect which is more important. I suppose if you put in something in the other comments at the end they might consider it.

Thanks. "Choose the aspect which is more important" like 1.Self-catered 2.Living in Encliffe 3.Ensuite, etc?

Surely they have enough room in Encliffe for all new students?
Reply 6
racoon97
Thanks. "Choose the aspect which is more important" like 1.Self-catered 2.Living in Encliffe 3.Ensuite, etc?

Surely they have enough room in Encliffe for all new students?

Yeah, it was like that. I'd put Endcliffe as priority though because most of the accommodation is self-catered so you're almost certain to get it. There isn't enough room for all students in Endcliffe - most of the people living in Ranmoor applied for Endcliffe. I don't think it bothers them too much though; it's not that different from Endcliffe.
Reply 7
When you firm Sheffield, do they send out information on accom?

You can't do anything just yet right? You have to wait until March?

Thanks
racoon97
When you firm Sheffield, do they send out information on accom?

You can't do anything just yet right? You have to wait until March?

Thanks

Yes they send it out in March time, after you have firmed.

As its been said above, you can only really specify site, not type of flat you are put in.
Its kind of luck of the draw whether its mixed or single sex and how many people live there.

There are larger flats in Endcliffe, lots are 8 or 10 bed particularly in Yarncliffe, Froggat, Howden and Derwent. Millstone, Rivelin and Birchen, as well as Curbar are slightly smaller.

I'm not so sure about Ranmoor as I never worked/lived there but I get the impression the majorty are mixed and larger (v.similar to Froggat).
Reply 9
mollymustard
Yes they send it out in March time, after you have firmed.

As its been said above, you can only really specify site, not type of flat you are put in.
Its kind of luck of the draw whether its mixed or single sex and how many people live there.

There are larger flats in Endcliffe, lots are 8 or 10 bed particularly in Yarncliffe, Froggat, Howden and Derwent. Millstone, Rivelin and Birchen, as well as Curbar are slightly smaller.

I'm not so sure about Ranmoor as I never worked/lived there but I get the impression the majorty are mixed and larger (v.similar to Froggat).

Oh right thanks. Are some just non-mixed flats then? That doesn't sound good. lol
Reply 10
Does anyone know the chances of getting an single flat or mixed?

What's the probability of getting "first choice" accommodation?
racoon97
Does anyone know the chances of getting an single flat or mixed?

What's the probability of getting "first choice" accommodation?

Probability is quite high - purely because there is so much accomodation compared to students.

Single to mixed - there are more single sex. Quite honestly I wanted a mixed flat, but ended up with single. Now I am SO glad I did! Thing is, single sex flats tend to be more socialble because they make the effort to meet their neighbouring opposite sex flats. Mixed flats can be incestuous, and often go out less with other flats. Obviously this is a generalisation and it does depend on people but its what I've witnessed.
Reply 12
mollymustard
Probability is quite high - purely because there is so much accomodation compared to students.

Single to mixed - there are more single sex. Quite honestly I wanted a mixed flat, but ended up with single. Now I am SO glad I did! Thing is, single sex flats tend to be more socialble because they make the effort to meet their neighbouring opposite sex flats. Mixed flats can be incestuous, and often go out less with other flats. Obviously this is a generalisation and it does depend on people but its what I've witnessed.

More single sex! That's worrying. I get on with girls better, Hopefully won't end up too bad! Thanks for all your info!
racoon97
More single sex! That's worrying. I get on with girls better, Hopefully won't end up too bad! Thanks for all your info!

Seriously don't worry about it. There will be so many other flats in your block that you will barely notice it tbh. I certainly didnt and seriously i was panicing about it before I went.
Reply 14
Actually there's been a trend and I think there was more mixed this year than last year I would have said 50:50 this year. 6 people flats tend to be for single sex though.
Sigma5116
Actually there's been a trend and I think there was more mixed this year than last year I would have said 50:50 this year. 6 people flats tend to be for single sex though.

Ranmoor is more mixed now, Endcliffe has stayed basically the same.
Reply 16
Does anyone know if accommodation opens up early march, or if it's left nearer the end? Thanks
Reply 17
no sorry, just keep checking i guess. really need to find some decent photos...i'll check that video out though thanks :smile:
heres hoping for a bigger flat!
Reply 18
Check out facebook groups for Ranmoor and Endcliffe if you want to see photos.. That's what I did last year (although be careful with Ranmoor as there's a few groups which show photos of the OLD ranmoor which was knocked down)
Reply 19
mollymustard

I would agree with this, but mixed is the one for me! Love having so many people in the flat (10 in Froggatt) but I would agree we are not as sociable as the single sex flats seem to be. This might be because there are so many of us whereas the single sex flats are smaller so when a few people aren't there it's really noticeable. Also heard lots of bad things about girl bitch fights in the single sex flats :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending