The Student Room Group

Magic Circle Law - Oxbridge or bust?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JakeR92
Haha sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I do know Barristers don't go into law firms. Tbf, anyone who doesn't know that probably shouldn't be going on to study law :P I only used the term Magic Circle as the top four barristers chambers can be collectively known as Magic Circle Chambers. In the future I'll be more clearer, and you can be less anal :smile:

'more clearer'...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck getting into one of them mate. I'm sure McDonalds will keep your job open for you so you've always got a back up.
Reply 41
JakeR92
Well I've been doing a bit of research on what it takes to get into the Magic Circle Law firms and chambers, and one thing that's come to my attention is on the CV of EVERY barrister...Oxford or Cambridge.

The question I'm putting to TSR to debate on is, can anyone break this stigma and get into a chamber like One Essex Court with a non-Oxbridge degree, or is this dream a step too far?

I think what matters as much/if not more is if you have a first, or not. Just want to draw your attention to "The Barristers", which was on tv last year, basically, there was a girl in search of a pupillage, with a 2:1 from Oxford who seriously struggled...
Reply 42
crowsy
I think what matters as much/if not more is if you have a first, or not. Just want to draw your attention to "The Barristers", which was on tv last year, basically, there was a girl in search of a pupillage, with a 2:1 from Oxford who seriously struggled...

Or how about my mate; first from Oxford, did the BVC, didn't get a pupillage.
T-o dore
Hi, sorry I think I've asked you before, but how well do you need to perform in your first year to be able to switch to law? How does transferring degrees work at Cambridge?

(At the moment I want to study arch and anth, because I love anthropology, but I'm interested in law as a career).

It's pretty straightforward as long as you get a 2.i, though if you do 2-year law you can pretty much say goodbye to any social life you may have, it's considerably worse than doing law from the start.
Reply 44
TerryTerry
Or how about my mate; first from Oxford, did the BVC, didn't get a pupillage.

yeah
not gonna say that going to Oxbridge proves to be no advantage to you...but yeah, it doesn't necessarily make a difference
Reply 45
maximusbarr
Oxbridge is the best, the candidates are there because they beat everyone else to it.

Not true; UCAS like TC apps can be a lottery. And people develop over a degree.

And law firms don't want someone who is just academically strong; they want good lawyers. I think being a barrister is more academic; in fact, you'll see many more new hires nowadays have LLMs.

Most MC/SC firms have a 50% Oxbridge, 50% others approach.

Say what now?
Reply 46
TerryTerry
'more clearer'...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck getting into one of them mate. I'm sure McDonalds will keep your job open for you so you've always got a back up.

haha shot myself in the foot there didn't I :smile: sorry about that pal, didn't mean to sound like a ****, just a bit wound up today. They best keep a job open for me!!! God knows what will happen if Maccy D's reject me :P
Reply 47
JakeR92
haha shot myself in the foot there didn't I :smile: sorry about that pal, didn't mean to sound like a ****, just a bit wound up today. They best keep a job open for me!!! God knows what will happen if Maccy D's reject me :P

No worries man. My advice: carpe diem. Enjoy your life, don't be outcome dependent. Go to uni; work hard, play hard. Don't overthink the future and things you can't control - it places a huge amount of pressure on yourself which can make you unhappy and underperform.
T-o dore
Hi, sorry I think I've asked you before, but how well do you need to perform in your first year to be able to switch to law? How does transferring degrees work at Cambridge?

(At the moment I want to study arch and anth, because I love anthropology, but I'm interested in law as a career).

Under the Tripos system, you can do a Part I in one subject and a Part II in another, provided you have the permission of the subject you want to change into, which you usually can get if you get a 2:1. For some subjects, the Part I is two years, for others, the Part II is two years (the law Part II is 1 year but you need to do it for two anyway, confusing I know). In short, if Anth has a 1 year Part I, you can do 1 year of Anth and two years of law. If its a 2 year Part I, you'll need to do two years of each.

WestWing stated that its considerably worse than doing law from the start... I'm not so sure, I know 2 people that did it who got on just fine. I don't think it makes all that much difference except you will do 5 subjects in your first year of law instead of 4.
Op: it is true that nearly all the tenants/pupils at the very top chambers come from Oxbridge. The top chambers are ludicrously competitive, much much much more so than the top solicitors' firms. Take a look at their CVs and you will see that they are absolutely outstanding in all respects. People who are exceptionally driven and intelligent (i.e. much more so than your average Oxbridge or other top uni undergrad) choose to go to Oxbridge: at the risk of making generalisations, there isn't very much difference between the average Oxbridgeonian and the average UCLer, but you tend to find that nearly all the super brainboxes are at Oxbridge. I'm trying to say that its a result of individual applicants rather than systemic bias. If you have a CV like people getting pupillage at that kind of chambers do, then you are in for a shot - we are talking top of your year, written a book, saved a third world country etc. etc., then you are in for a shot.
jacketpotato

WestWing stated that its considerably worse than doing law from the start... I'm not so sure, I know 2 people that did it who got on just fine. I don't think it makes all that much difference except you will do 5 subjects in your first year of law instead of 4.

Thanks, thats good news. I would imagine a convert would be at a bit of a disadvantage, though, without the foundational year in the subject?

Also, do you know if there is any kind of conversion course or GDL-type-thing at Cambridge (a year long) - so I finish my anth degree then want to become legally qualified? I didn't see any such thing on the website, but just asking for finality.

Sorry, OP, for diverting the thread somewhat.
DJkG.1
I read an article about this recently.

The magic circle (along with equivalent English-based silver circle) firms were being pressed to 'cast their nets wider than oxbridge' - so reluctantly they seem to have increased their intake from the top London colleges but not much 'wider' than that. :p:

As for the bar, from what I've heard the recent reforms have led to a different culture developing where it is easier for others to break into the career. This is mostly down to the break-down of the old boys' networks which precluded non-Etonian/Oxbridgian barristers from being able to establish themselves.

I don't admit to knowing much about the inside workings of the bar though - this is just what I've heard and may well be nothing more than conjecture so don't hold me to it. But it seems like progress is far harder to make in the employing private sector of solicitors' firms as they are really not answerable to the government or external groups calling for equality in the same way that the bar is. And after a recession which saw most firms' revenue drop, I doubt they are in the mood for risky reforms of their orthodox employing strategies. :dontknow:

what school do you go to?

from areyoucool/symmetrical :o:
jacketpotato
If you have a CV like people getting pupillage at that kind of chambers do, then you are in for a shot - we are talking top of your year, written a book, saved a third world country etc. etc., then you are in for a shot.

lol I hate to say it but that's not really an exaggeration either - some of the things on those peoples' CVs are quite something. :frown:
Reply 53
jacketpotato
Op: it is true that nearly all the tenants/pupils at the very top chambers come from Oxbridge. The top chambers are ludicrously competitive, much much much more so than the top solicitors' firms. Take a look at their CVs and you will see that they are absolutely outstanding in all respects. People who are exceptionally driven and intelligent (i.e. much more so than your average Oxbridge or other top uni undergrad) choose to go to Oxbridge: at the risk of making generalisations, there isn't very much difference between the average Oxbridgeonian and the average UCLer, but you tend to find that nearly all the super brainboxes are at Oxbridge. I'm trying to say that its a result of individual applicants rather than systemic bias. If you have a CV like people getting pupillage at that kind of chambers do, then you are in for a shot - we are talking top of your year, written a book, saved a third world country etc. etc., then you are in for a shot.

Yup, this is exactly right. There are a lot of people from UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham etc...that would do perfectly well at Oxbridge. It is fair to say people who go to the "Magic Circle" Chambers are ridiculous brain boxes whom most of us can't hope to compete with. Predictably enough, most people like this will come out of Oxbridge. However, for most of us mere mortals, the best we can hope for is to try our hardest to get a first and then hope for a bit of luck at a chambers lower down the pecking order.

In terms of the actual Magic Circle (that is firms like Clifford Chance, A and O and Linklaters) it is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH to say that you need to go to Oxbridge to get in there. One only needs to go to the profiles of trainees at their sites to see this. Not to mention that as a Durham student I know of several people that are going to Magic Circle firms next year. I think if you go to a good university with a solid 2.1 you will have a shot. It's your application and interview here that really count.
I don't know anything about barristers, but for the actual Magic Circle law firms (Links, Slaughters, CC, A&O and Freshfields) it's not true at all. I didn't go to Oxbridge. :smile: There's lots of people at those firms who did go to Oxbridge, but there's also lots who went to other places, and not just other top 10 universities: there's people from unis like UEA, Manchester, Sheffield, Chester, Newcastle etc. The managing partner at Clifford Chance went to Sheffield for instance.
This is a quote from Nigel Boardman, a partner at Slaughter and May and widely regarded as one of the top corporate lawyers in the City:

"We want the best people to apply to us and to genuinely give them as much help as they need to become good at their job. I wouldn't want the attitude to come over that we only take Etonians, Oxbridge graduates, firsts. None of that is true. I got a 2:1 at Bristol in history. Steve Edge, our head of tax, got a 2:2 at Exeter. It's about ability, it's not about pedigree."
Reply 56
greatphilosopher
This is a quote from Nigel Boardman, a partner at Slaughter and May and widely regarded as one of the top corporate lawyers in the City:

"We want the best people to apply to us and to genuinely give them as much help as they need to become good at their job. I wouldn't want the attitude to come over that we only take Etonians, Oxbridge graduates, firsts. None of that is true. I got a 2:1 at Bristol in history. Steve Edge, our head of tax, got a 2:2 at Exeter. It's about ability, it's not about pedigree."

I realise this is a well intentioned post with a decent source. However you have to remember two things with these sorts of quotes.

1) If a partner at Slaughters said anything other than "we will take people on from all universities" they would be shooting themselves in the foot, because lots of decent graduates would stop applying there. They have to say they aren't oxbridge biased.

2) Stating that partners have degrees from non-oxbridge is all very well and good. However, given the age of most partners in large law firms, I would suggest that when they applied for TCs they were not competing in a recruitment market saturated with graduates who all have similar looking degrees to the naked eye. In short, their degrees were worth more.

In general, oxbridge graduates do have intensely good grades, and a decent CV. They don't get into those unis through blind luck, so for magic circle people it makes sense to look there first obviously. However, I can testify to the fact that these firms do recruit outside the boundaries of oxbridge and london. Southampton for example has produced a couple of A&O and Lovells trainees in the past two years .
Reply 57
AdamTJ
Yup, this is exactly right. There are a lot of people from UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham etc...that would do perfectly well at Oxbridge. It is fair to say people who go to the "Magic Circle" Chambers are ridiculous brain boxes whom most of us can't hope to compete with. Predictably enough, most people like this will come out of Oxbridge. However, for most of us mere mortals, the best we can hope for is to try our hardest to get a first and then hope for a bit of luck at a chambers lower down the pecking order.

In terms of the actual Magic Circle (that is firms like Clifford Chance, A and O and Linklaters) it is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH to say that you need to go to Oxbridge to get in there. One only needs to go to the profiles of trainees at their sites to see this. Not to mention that as a Durham student I know of several people that are going to Magic Circle firms next year. I think if you go to a good university with a solid 2.1 you will have a shot. It's your application and interview here that really count.

Looking at the profiles of trainees - well, doesn't that give you a bit of a deluded view of what their intake REALLY comprises of? Every firm will have anti-discriminatory safeguards put in place, so of course, they want to put up the impression that they recruit from a wide range of unis. But as someone pointed out to me before on an open day at Freshfields, they put up a slide showing their trainee intake which was in fact 50% Oxbridge.

The majority of the trainees will be Oxbridge; there's no point disputing that because they are simply the indication of the sub-standard, high-calibre candidate they're looking for. They didn't go through the competitive process of getting into Oxbridge for no reason.

If you look at it another way - people who went to UCL, Kings or LSE to do law probably did apply to Oxbridge as their first choice, but didn't get in. If there are people who did get into Oxbridge, why should they not stand the better chance of getting into a top law firm?

We can't play down the fact that being in a top-class university still plays an important factor in the recruitment process today. I would feel a great deal of injustice if I was deprived of making a better impression with my degree than say... someone who graduated from a much lower-ranked university.
Reply 58
The West Wing
It's pretty straightforward as long as you get a 2.i, though if you do 2-year law you can pretty much say goodbye to any social life you may have, it's considerably worse than doing law from the start.

I had a sinking suspicion it would be like this, though I never intended to have much of a social life: I'll be there to prepare to practise law.

jacketpotato
Under the Tripos system, you can do a Part I in one subject and a Part II in another, provided you have the permission of the subject you want to change into, which you usually can get if you get a 2:1. For some subjects, the Part I is two years, for others, the Part II is two years (the law Part II is 1 year but you need to do it for two anyway, confusing I know). In short, if Anth has a 1 year Part I, you can do 1 year of Anth and two years of law. If its a 2 year Part I, you'll need to do two years of each.

Presumably this is because you need to do IB, with specific courses, and II, with specific courses, or you won't fill all the academic requirements for practise. (I'm sure you knew this JP, just making sure anyone else who reads it understands why). For most, I would think that route is pursued in order to practise law.

jacketpotato

Hmm...doing it in two years is basically like second and third year, isn't it? You have to do some of the courses other people do in first year, but the major difference is you start out doing the same number of papers as a second year law student. I hope my experience is a bit more like JP thinks than as West Wing see it, but I'm expecting to have to work very hard anyway.

Sorry to derail the thread, just interested in what Cambridge law students have to say about the affiliated/transfer course.
Reply 59
There still seems to be the most enormous amount of conjecture on here about this topic. Let's set out a few facts, rather than relying on the usual "I met someone who has a sister whose friend went to an open day and met someone who said....".

- I understand that Oxford and Cambridge each take approx 200 undergrads each year for their BA courses.
- Around 75% of those who graduate go into the legal profession (see Oxford's own website)
- That gives us 300 grads a year from Oxbridge
- Assume, say, 10% go to the Bar - that's 30 going for pupillages and 270 going for training contracts. That's probably inaccurately skewed towards TCs.
- Of those who go for training contracts, let's assume that 70% get TCs with the MC, 20% the silver circle and 10% elsewhere: that's 189, 54 and 27 trainees respectively.
- Now let's assume that the Magic Circle takes on 500 trainees each year (CC take 130 pa for example). Let's also assume that the chasing pack firms/silver circle of 10 firms take on a further 500 trainees (i.e. 50 each). That's a 1000 TCs at the top 15 firms.

There are clearly far more training contracts available at those top firms than there are Oxbridge grads. On these broad brush assumptions, Oxbridge grads will only be making up approx 25% of the MC and SC trainees.

The message from this is that Oxbridge grads are good and will secure a disproportionately high number of the top TCs and pupillages. However, there are not that many of them, and not all of them want the same jobs you do! Even if they do, they're not taking all of them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending