The Student Room Group

Magic Circle Law - Oxbridge or bust?

Scroll to see replies

jjarvis
Hmm...doing it in two years is basically like second and third year, isn't it? You have to do some of the courses other people do in first year, but the major difference is you start out doing the same number of papers as a second year law student. I hope my experience is a bit more like JP thinks than as West Wing see it, but I'm expecting to have to work very hard anyway.

Sorry to derail the thread, just interested in what Cambridge law students have to say about the affiliated/transfer course.

I think its probably somewhere in the middle. I don't think you'll have time to do that many Part II papers other than EU/Equity, and these are definitely harder than the other subjects.

T-o dore
Thanks, thats good news. I would imagine a convert would be at a bit of a disadvantage, though, without the foundational year in the subject?

Also, do you know if there is any kind of conversion course or GDL-type-thing at Cambridge (a year long) - so I finish my anth degree then want to become legally qualified? I didn't see any such thing on the website, but just asking for finality.

Sorry, OP, for diverting the thread somewhat.

If you do a Part IB and Part II in law, you'll end up doing all the subjects that first years do anyway, apart from Civil (Roman) law. You'll do certain subjects (Contract) that normal lawyers would do in their second year, but you do Criminal in your second year whereas normal lawyers do it in their first year so it probably evens out.

The GDL is generally not something you do at university, you generally do it with professional training providers such as www.bpp.com or www.collegeoflaw.com
Reply 61
- I understand that Oxford and Cambridge each take approx 200 undergrads each year for their BA courses.
- Around 75% of those who graduate go into the legal profession (see Oxford's own website)
- That gives us 300 grads a year from Oxbridge

What about all the non-lawyers? A huge number of graduates of history/english etc do the GDL. Some apply for TCs in their second year. I'm sure that more than 300 grads a year apply who have been to Oxford.
Reply 62
Rofl
Looking at the profiles of trainees - well, doesn't that give you a bit of a deluded view of what their intake REALLY comprises of? Every firm will have anti-discriminatory safeguards put in place, so of course, they want to put up the impression that they recruit from a wide range of unis. But as someone pointed out to me before on an open day at Freshfields, they put up a slide showing their trainee intake which was in fact 50% Oxbridge.

The majority of the trainees will be Oxbridge; there's no point disputing that because they are simply the indication of the sub-standard, high-calibre candidate they're looking for. They didn't go through the competitive process of getting into Oxbridge for no reason.

If you look at it another way - people who went to UCL, Kings or LSE to do law probably did apply to Oxbridge as their first choice, but didn't get in. If there are people who did get into Oxbridge, why should they not stand the better chance of getting into a top law firm?

We can't play down the fact that being in a top-class university still plays an important factor in the recruitment process today. I would feel a great deal of injustice if I was deprived of making a better impression with my degree than say... someone who graduated from a much lower-ranked university.

With all due respect, this sounds like a very naive post from someone who hasn't really seen people go through the process. It's not as simple as that at all. The firms are looking for different skill sets first up. Getting into Oxbridge is a fantastic academic achievement; and whilst top law firms undoubtedly look for intelligent candidates they are also on the lookout for that rarefied quality of "commercial awareness". This is certainly something Oxbridge (or any other university) won't teach you. Secondly, someone with good work experience and interview skills from a "second-tier" university, will quite often trump a clearly intelligent but extremely dry candidate from Oxbridge. Thirdly, whilst it is undoubtedly true that Oxbridge attracts an extremely high calibre of student, it is also had to be remember that there are many talented people at universities all over the country (although I am willing to accept that Oxbridge does have a greater concentration).

I'm not going to dispute that going to Oxbridge isn't an advantage, because it is. However (particularly when it comes to solicitors these days) it's certainly not the be all and end all. It would be a huge mistake for those at Oxbridge to be complacent about their job prospects. It is a leg up but without the necessary work experience and personality (as well as general commercial awareness) there is no guarantee of a job. Not to mention degree classification. One of my friends graduated from Cambridge with a 2.2 in law last year. Sadly for her she can't get a job for love nor money (certainly not the prestigious job she wants). It's also a misnomer to believe that a 2.2 from Oxbridge equals a 2.1 from anywhere else or a 2.1 equals a first. Because again, whilst I accept that there is a greater volume of work than anywhere else at Oxbridge, it's simply not true.
Reply 63
legal12345
- I understand that Oxford and Cambridge each take approx 200 undergrads each year for their BA courses.
- Around 75% of those who graduate go into the legal profession (see Oxford's own website)
- That gives us 300 grads a year from Oxbridge

What about all the non-lawyers? A huge number of graduates of history/english etc do the GDL. Some apply for TCs in their second year. I'm sure that more than 300 grads a year apply who have been to Oxford.

That's a fair call. How many would you add into those numbers?
Reply 64
chalks
That's a fair call. How many would you add into those numbers?

Very hard to say! I know that at City a high proportion of people on the GDL were Oxbridge. So that's about, maybe 100 more? and then the other law schools.
Reply 65
AdamTJ
With all due respect, this sounds like a very naive post from someone who hasn't really seen people go through the process. It's not as simple as that at all. The firms are looking for different skill sets first up. Getting into Oxbridge is a fantastic academic achievement; and whilst top law firms undoubtedly look for intelligent candidates they are also on the lookout for that rarefied quality of "commercial awareness". This is certainly something Oxbridge (or any other university) won't teach you. Secondly, someone with good work experience and interview skills from a "second-tier" university, will quite often trump a clearly intelligent but extremely dry candidate from Oxbridge. Thirdly, whilst it is undoubtedly true that Oxbridge attracts an extremely high calibre of student, it is also had to be remember that there are many talented people at universities all over the country (although I am willing to accept that Oxbridge does have a greater concentration).

I'm not going to dispute that going to Oxbridge isn't an advantage, because it is. However (particularly when it comes to solicitors these days) it's certainly not the be all and end all. It would be a huge mistake for those at Oxbridge to be complacent about their job prospects. It is a leg up but without the necessary work experience and personality (as well as general commercial awareness) there is no guarantee of a job. Not to mention degree classification. One of my friends graduated from Cambridge with a 2.2 in law last year. Sadly for her she can't get a job for love nor money (certainly not the prestigious job she wants). It's also a misnomer to believe that a 2.2 from Oxbridge equals a 2.1 from anywhere else or a 2.1 equals a first. Because again, whilst I accept that there is a greater volume of work than anywhere else at Oxbridge, it's simply not true.

I never said going to Oxbridge is the be all and end all; I merely emphasised that it gives someone a massive advantage over other average candidates, especially in terms of intellectual capability - yes, you can have amazing business acumen and an abundance of work experience that demonstrates a genuine interest in law, but without a solid foundation of logic in you, you won't even stand a chance of being able to apply it.

Perhaps it is a misnomer to suggest that a 2:1 from Oxbridge = a 1st from UCL, but how about if you're comparing a 2:1 from Oxbridge with a 1st from the University of East London? The distinction becomes even more apparent when you're comparing like for like e.g. 2:1 at Oxbridge compared to a 2:1 at another university, and surely, the firms have to take this into account.
Reply 66
Rofl
I never said going to Oxbridge is the be all and end all; I merely emphasised that it gives someone a massive advantage over other average candidates, especially in terms of intellectual capability - yes, you can have amazing business acumen and an abundance of work experience that demonstrates a genuine interest in law, but without a solid foundation of logic in you, you won't even stand a chance of being able to apply it.

Perhaps it is a misnomer to suggest that a 2:1 from Oxbridge = a 1st from UCL, but how about if you're comparing a 2:1 from Oxbridge with a 1st from the University of East London? The distinction becomes even more apparent when you're comparing like for like e.g. 2:1 at Oxbridge compared to a 2:1 at another university, and surely, the firms have to take this into account.

Well it's obvious that a 2.1 from East London won't be nearly as highly valued. This isn't exactly news. However, when we're talking about other highly-regarded but not quite as prestigious universities, I think you are overestimating the advantage an Oxbridge degree gives you, particularly at the law firms. It's a good start, and yes there is an advantage, but this can be overcome by other factors. It's far too simplistic to say that a 2.1 from Oxbridge v. a 2.1 from UCL will always (or even overwhelmingly) "win". If the Oxbridge student is equal in all other ways aside from university; yes he will probably get the job, because I think most reasonable people (certainly who know what Oxbridge entails) would accept that the level of intensity and difficulty of a degree there means it is rightly prized above all others. The problem arises when (as it much more often than not) the candidates have different strengths and weaknesses. Oxbridge is one factor in a multitude, which helps but is certainly not the guarantee it was.
Reply 67
jacketpotato
I think its probably somewhere in the middle. I don't think you'll have time to do that many Part II papers other than EU/Equity, and these are definitely harder than the other subjects.

Indeed. You can only do two other part II papers, as near as I can tell. You have to do EU/equity/criminal, and that leaves two options. It's a shame, because you miss out on a lot of really exciting-looking papers! Still, it beats the GDL for outside options and for intensive teaching.

I can't speak to their difficulty, of course. I cede to your experience on that point. :wink:
Reply 68
From my experience of vac schemes and contracts, the top City firms seem to be made up of roughly 50% Oxbridge and 50% elsewhere, particularly at the more 'traditional/conservative' firms that have always had a high Oxbridge intake. On the GDL, people seem to come from a wide range of the better universities, although mostly Russell Group institutions.

It's impossible to tell, however, whether this is true beyond mere anecdote. A sizeable minority of Oxbridge students seem to be rejected at various stages, and it's certainly no free passport to a job. A friend of mine, a law student in her second year at Oxford, was rejected from every single scheme she applied to. Conversely, another friend from the same course and college succeeded in every application.

Like many people have said, whilst an Oxbridge degree will raise your application in the academic secton, everything else still has to be there - extra-curricular activities, personal skills, interview technique - for you to succeed.
Reply 69
chalks
Your evidence for top law firms (not chambers) being "very Oxbridge heavy, maybe with a few UCLs and LSEs"?

Well sorry but I meant the 4 top commercial law chambers and the best law firms.:rolleyes:
Reply 70
JakeR92
Thank you very much, at least someone gets it :smile:

Great minds think alike.:p:
Reply 71
xmarilynx
Barristers don't get into Magic Circle Law firms (or any kind of law firm), they have chambers. You mean solicitors.

Actually a few of the big law firms do hire there own barristers although it's quite rare.:rolleyes: :yep:
There seems to be a lot of controversy about the numbers. For anyone interested in my personal experiences, I've completed the LPC with future trainees from two MC and three other top commercial firms. I would say about 40% were Oxbridge. Definitely not a majority, but Oxford/Cambridge still had much bigger proportions than other unis. UCL and LSE were also well represented. There was a reasonable number from other top unis such as Warwick. There was a very small number of people from unis such as Reading and Leeds.
Reply 73
Slick-Jay
Well sorry but I meant the 4 top commercial law chambers and the best law firms.:rolleyes:

He asked where your evidence was in respect to the law firms; MC or anywhere else. You haven't provided any.
Reply 74
legal12345
Very hard to say! I know that at City a high proportion of people on the GDL were Oxbridge. So that's about, maybe 100 more? and then the other law schools.

Apologies I was tied up yesterday in all day "strategy workshop". My advice: if someone asks you to attend a "workshop" what they mean is "I couldn't be bothered to put together an agenda or give some thought to what we should discuss, so I decided we'd all get together and waste our time by talking for 8 hours".

Anyway, let's look at the figures again.

If we add in another 200 Oxbridge non-law grads who do the GDL (and I think that is overly generous) then we get approx 450 going for TCs and 50 for pupillages (based on my original 90/10 split).

Let's say the division amongst those who secure TCs is 60% MC, 30% SC and 10% other. That gives us around 270 students who secure MC TCs, 135 SC and 45 respectively.

Those numbers tally roughly with Jacketpotato's first hand experience.

Even by adding in those GDLers, it shows that TCs with the top 15 firms is not (and, indeed, cannot) be the preserve of Oxbridge. There are literally hundreds of TCs with the best firms which are awarded to non-Oxbridge students.

Slick-Jay
Well sorry but I meant the 4 top commercial law chambers and the best law firms

This just isn't right. It isn't correct to say that the top law firms (whoever they might be) are "are very Oxbirdge heavy, maybe with a few UCL's and LSE's." If you have evidence to the contrary do share it.
Reply 75
I cant be bothered to read this thread... so here's my two cents.

I went to a red brick uni - NOT oxbridge, NOT london. Warwick.
I also got a 2.1. NOT a first.

Im going to the MC. *waves*
Happy1
I cant be bothered to read this thread... so here's my two cents.

I went to a red brick uni - NOT oxbridge, NOT london. Warwick.
I also got a 2.1. NOT a first.

Im going to the MC. *waves*

Pretty much nailed, but is it not much harder to enter the elite sets than it is to enter the magic circle firms?...because someone I know was saying that competition for pupillage and MC training contracts were on a par...I disagree.

Chalks: In regards to evidence of where I got the '50% Oxbridge and 50% elsewhere'?...Plainly and simply from attending law fairs and speaking to graduate recruitment from each, given that a law degree from Oxbridge is quite difficult and intense, I guess it makes sense. Even though its quite unfair when an asian lad from a sub-standard faith school from East London, entered Cambridge and upon admissions secured a TC with Simmons & Simmons, don't ask me I don't know how, it was on the news. :confused:
Reply 77
maximusbarr
Pretty much nailed, but is it not much harder to enter the elite sets than it is to enter the magic circle firms?...because someone I know was saying that competition for pupillage and MC training contracts were on a par...I disagree

Its harder to enter elite sets of course... but its harder to become a barrister. There are less jobs overall...

Proportionality surely explains this whole discussion?
Reply 78
Just to add another dimension to the debate: what about if your undergrad is from a fairly good uni (check my spoiler for examples, the big boys rejected me lol) but your postgrad is oxbridge? How would that affect your chances of a top chambers? Also, do Solicitors generally do postgrad? or is it more a barristers option due to the more academic nature of their job?
maximusbarr
Pretty much nailed, but is it not much harder to enter the elite sets than it is to enter the magic circle firms?...because someone I know was saying that competition for pupillage and MC training contracts were on a par...I disagree.

Chalks: In regards to evidence of where I got the '50% Oxbridge and 50% elsewhere'?...Plainly and simply from attending law fairs and speaking to graduate recruitment from each, given that a law degree from Oxbridge is quite difficult and intense, I guess it makes sense. Even though its quite unfair when an asian lad from a sub-standard faith school from East London, entered Cambridge and upon admissions secured a TC with Simmons & Simmons, don't ask me I don't know how, it was on the news. :confused:

This story is true, he is at my college right now. He is one of the people I respect the most of all the people I've ever met, and he performed the best out of all the law freshers in his mocks - all 4 of the others went to top public schools (St Pauls etc). S&S are paying his way through Cambridge but boy does he deserve it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending