The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil in Finance applicants 2010

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure pronstarz is in a diff course at JBS, TP not Finance.
Reply 61
another week passed. Cambridge cambridge...
Reply 62
sanpantan
4 offer holders on this thread alone: verticalforce, matthias, gb_gb, pronstarz

Umm, I'm not an MPhil Fin Applicant :o: , but my friend is. He's still waiting tho... 3.8GPA, 740GMAT. Pretty strong profile I'd say.:yes:
He an NZer too? What was his undergrad?
Reply 64
makaveli121
He an NZer too? What was his undergrad?

nah bru...

hes from aussie. i think his undergrad was something like econometrics and stats. not really sure aye..

he also got MIT computational math or something... LSE but still waiting oxford MFE and LBS MSc Finance and GOOD OLE CAMBRIDGE

im still waiting for camsis to update me... its been >2weeks

gooday mate.
Reply 65
Oh yeah... this guy got a $115k/pa job with a BB...

anyway my recommendation to him was do that for 3yrs then apply for an MBA or MFin...
wow pro. I'm waiting to hear back from Deutsche Bank myself - had final round interviews a couple days ago for M&A.

I would fully just work for a few years and then do a top mba in the us. Wayyyy better than Msc.
Reply 67
makaveli121
wow pro. I'm waiting to hear back from Deutsche Bank myself - had final round interviews a couple days ago for M&A.

I would fully just work for a few years and then do a top mba in the us. Wayyyy better than Msc.

MBAs are almost worthless if you are going into markets though, it can be almost entirely soft skills. an MSc Finance is way more applicable
Reply 68
awm55
MBAs are almost worthless if you are going into markets though, it can be almost entirely soft skills. an MSc Finance is way more applicable

That's debateable... If you look at top BBs, they are almost always run by MBAs from Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc. And the MPhil/MSc Finance holders are considered lucky if they reach VP level within 5-7 years.

3 years of donkey work (jr analyst - snr analyst)
2 years of asking others to do the donkey work (associates)

By the way, when my friend joined... the bank fired 8 out of the 10 ppl in that group, and left two associates and himself (analyst) as a three man syndicate lol.
Since I got rejected by LSE, I'm pretty sure now that Cam only care about the academic grades and don't really give a toss about anything else...

It will be useful for next year applicants to just compare their grades instead of ECs, internships etc... :woo:

I'm a bit bitter that I got rejected by LSE :p:
Reply 70
verticalforce
Since I got rejected by LSE, I'm pretty sure now that Cam only care about the academic grades and don't really give a toss about anything else...

It will be useful for next year applicants to just compare their grades instead of ECs, internships etc... :woo:

I'm a bit bitter that I got rejected by LSE :p:

Dude u got cam, you should be proud of yourself.

Dw about LSE :console:
Reply 71
Hey Verticalforce,
You got rejected by LSE A&F?
sanpantan
Hey Verticalforce,
You got rejected by LSE A&F?

Not yet. But I want to try and avoid doing masters in accounting... so Cam is my best choice right now.. (if i meet the conditions)
Reply 73
Got rejected:frown:
Sigh, really wanted it bad.

Offer Holders: Good luck in meeting your conditions and have plenty of fun there.

To all others: Go check your camsis, I think mine got updated today. If your status hasn't changed then chances are, you are still on the good list which is currently on hold until they can finalise on the number of offers to give out.
Reply 74
Did anyone else hear anything last week?

I applied on the deadline and haven't heard a sound since.
What's your current camsis status? A couple others on quantnet.org got rejected recently too. I'm still stuck on papers with degree committee - we'll hopefully all hear back within a couple weeks.
I'm not sure I even gonna bother going to Cam even if I do get in. If I'm applying to 10+ financial institutions all based in London, I really don't want to be travelling back and forth constantly for interviews or what ever, when I could just go to LSE (which is pretty much as reputable, if not more, in terms of finance) and be within walking/tubing distance.

It'd actually be a relief to get rejected tbh so I can just move on.
Reply 77
makaveli121
What's your current camsis status? A couple others on quantnet.org got rejected recently too. I'm still stuck on papers with degree committee - we'll hopefully all hear back within a couple weeks.

Still "Papers with degree committee".
Reply 78
Havent been able to log in to the Camsis for two days. Others with the same problem?
Reply 79
Marx5
Havent been able to log in to the Camsis for two days. Others with the same problem?

Seems to be sorted. Another week passed without a sound..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending