The Student Room Group

AQA English A and English Lit A

Okay - so I'm planning on going over my revision notes for Poems for Cluster 1 for Language, and poems from Armitage and Duffy for Literature.

My teacher has just gone through the basics of the poems, with little detail. I would probably just say Grade C-B stuff, even though I am in Set 2. I'm hoping for an A, even though my coursework's are solid B's.

Has anyone got any poem notes they could give me? Universal teacher is okay (teachit), and I have got york notes; they only, however, give brief summarys.

Help please! :confused: :frown:
hey i am in the exact same position as you, my coursework is a solid B but i need at least one A in either lit or Lang and a B in the other. i need so much help with all my stuff cuz i suck at English lol maybe we could share notes or something cuz i need another opinion, PM me
Reply 2
hey there,

im afraid that i do gilan clarke and seamus heaney.

i might be ble to help you on the others though.

are you doing poems from other clutures and traditions? if so, i can help.

nebby
Reply 3
nebby
hey there,

im afraid that i do gilan clarke and seamus heaney.

i might be ble to help you on the others though.

are you doing poems from other clutures and traditions? if so, i can help.

nebby

yes, I am doing poems from other cultures as part of my language GCSE, What cluster are you studying? If it is Cluster 1, i would be grateful if you can help me with notes.
Reply 4
hey there,

im sorry but i do cluster 2

i have good notes on 'Nothing's Changed' though, if you still want them.

sorry that i can't be more useful.

nebby
Reply 5
I'm in your exact position :smile:.

I've got 4/5 A*s in my English/Lit C/W, with the other being Romeo and Juliet at an A.

But I'm crap at poems, all my teacher has taught me is what each poem is about, we haven't actually gone over exam techniques.

Exam questions: an example from the top of my head

Compare Poem A with Poem B. Examine how techniques are used to convey the subject of happiness.

How am I supposed to answer this? Sorry if it's a lil off topic
Reply 6
nebby
hey there,

im sorry but i do cluster 2

i have good notes on 'Nothing's Changed' though, if you still want them.

sorry that i can't be more useful.

nebby

Okay, it doesnt matter :smile:

Thanks though! Yeah, if you can, please send over the Nothings Changed notes
Reply 7
Iepnauy
I'm in your exact position :smile:.

I've got 4/5 A*s in my English/Lit C/W, with the other being Romeo and Juliet at an A.

But I'm crap at poems, all my teacher has taught me is what each poem is about, we haven't actually gone over exam techniques.

Exam questions: an example from the top of my head

Compare Poem A with Poem B. Examine how techniques are used to convey the subject of happiness.

How am I supposed to answer this? Sorry if it's a lil off topic

Yeah, thats what my teacher is doing. It's good, however, you've got A* coursework, i've only got B grade coursework!

Help us people!
Reply 8
hey there, this will be long, so stick with me!

at the top of my page it say to compare this to 'Not My Buisness' but that's from antoher cluster.

first stanza;
mood-calm and descriptive.
the writer creates sound 'pictures' these are bascially descriptive passages that have sounds which also describe the picture.
samll, stones, seeding, grasses, thrust, seeds all contain 's' which creates a wooshing sound. like trousers rushing through grass.
amiable, happy calm peaceful.
purple-flowering, purple the colour of mystery and calmness, serenity ect.

second stanza;
district six. cold, no expression, short vowels 'i' sharp intruding sounds. district six is the area of cape town whcih went from mixed race to white only.
repetition of the word and; anger builds with each repetition. imagery of his body, his whole body is angry. white heat is the hottest heat of all. the anger of the white people was deepest, this is what he feels now. 'anger of my eyes' what he sees causes the anger.

stanza three;
brash, glass, flaring, flag, 'a' sounds are very harsh sounds. when combined with 's' and 'h' create hissing spitting sounds, all to get a point across. flag, show where something is, he still knows where it really is. 'squats' horrible word, horrible place.
compare to first stanza, no more followers, weeds. appears to be fruiful, fertile but is rotten.
'new up market', them living there is new, appears to be cold. gaurd, barracks, prison or maybe he is kept out not them kept in. repetition of white makes you think back to the imagery of the previous stanza.

stanza four;
two lines, not the usual eight, for empahsis, this sums up the peopm's meaning.

stanza five;
clear panes, should see clearly but he can't.
crushed ice white(link to stanza two) cant see through crushed galss.
single rose, love loved it there, red means lust, wants to be there. use of 'c''t''s' sharp cutting sounds, pain.

stanza six;
juxtaposition to the above stanza, contasting places, contasting treatment of races. general mood-sarcastic/bitter. have to eat rabbut, can afford nicer meat. dirty manners, imagery, supposed to sum up a black man, at leat in a white person's eyes.
't's in the bone' its their nature/shows that they are primitive/sub human.

stanza seven;
i back from the glass. backs away/no other choice.
boy again. slave term/back to some kind of animal.
mea O, shows a moan or a groan of naute/not right but nothing he can do about it.
hands burn. heat imagery again.
shiver down(break) the glass, the galss makes him see unclearly, without it he sees clearly. you see clearer with no glass than with galss there.
nothing's changed. reptition. emphasis the point.

general background to south africa;
1966-declared white only (dIstrict sIX)
1982-buldozed-no trace of the old district six left.
atempted to revitalise the area-but it couldn't work (the community was destroyed)
1990-mandella released
199-free elections.

i really hope this helps.

i would love some rep for this.

nebby
Reply 9
Iepnauy

Also, what percentage is the c/w for English Lit worth? Is it 20 or 40? I can't remember.

I think the coursework is worth 30%.
Reply 10
Hey are you taking about GCSE? If so, I might be able to help.

I am doing Duffy/Armitage atm. I found this site pretty helpful http://www.teachit.co.uk/armoore/anthology/aqaanthology.htm gives notes on the poems and some interesting pointers. I'll try and write out my notes and things for you if I get time asap, on Havisham, Before You Were Mine, Hitcher and Mother Any Distance. Also I guess you should focus on learning how to compare the poems, as so many marks are awarded for this..
Eg poem A is bla bla as is poem B though in poem B bla bla is also the case, like poem C. For this reason it could be suggested that bla bla. Duffy uses bla bla to bla effect but in Hitcher bla is instead used to bla. However, in poem C bla is the case due bla. (with loads of quotes).

Remember to PEE (or even PEEL!) but don't use it to onerously, style is what pushes the grade boundaries up. Also, what about going to see your teacher and asking them for some extra info, notes, context, ideas etc - though English is one of those subjects where the teacher is absolutely vital (though mine is a legend, which does help!). Also try to get an original perspective on something, and don't be afraid of having a different opinion to your teacher.

Check out this site http://www.poetrylive.net/about.html for q and as with most of the main Anthology poets and examiners, its useful. If you can drag your school to one of the events (I couldn't succeed with mine) then they sound fab!

Funny how I am doing this when I have a poetry comparison essay due in on Tuesday which I should really be doing instead... lol!
Reply 11
la343
I think the coursework is worth 30%.

that much? :eek3: I'm so happy I could cry!
Reply 12
Iepnauy
Oh yeah about English Lit c/w.

How many did we have to do because I know some pieces overlapped with English Lang.

Also, what percentage is the c/w for English Lit worth? Is it 20 or 40? I can't remember.

And how many marks is the c/w out of totally? :biggrin:.

Thanks

My lit cw on Romeo and Juliet and Jekyll and Hyde (lol that sounds like 4 separate things) was out of 54, don't know if they're all the same.
Reply 13
nebby
hey there, this will be long, so stick with me!

at the top of my page it say to compare this to 'Not My Buisness' but that's from antoher cluster.

first stanza;
mood-calm and descriptive.
the writer creates sound 'pictures' these are bascially descriptive passages that have sounds which also describe the picture.
samll, stones, seeding, grasses, thrust, seeds all contain 's' which creates a wooshing sound. like trousers rushing through grass.
amiable, happy calm peaceful.
purple-flowering, purple the colour of mystery and calmness, serenity ect.

second stanza;
district six. cold, no expression, short vowels 'i' sharp intruding sounds. district six is the area of cape town whcih went from mixed race to white only.
repetition of the word and; anger builds with each repetition. imagery of his body, his whole body is angry. white heat is the hottest heat of all. the anger of the white people was deepest, this is what he feels now. 'anger of my eyes' what he sees causes the anger.

stanza three;
brash, glass, flaring, flag, 'a' sounds are very harsh sounds. when combined with 's' and 'h' create hissing spitting sounds, all to get a point across. flag, show where something is, he still knows where it really is. 'squats' horrible word, horrible place.
compare to first stanza, no more followers, weeds. appears to be fruiful, fertile but is rotten.
'new up market', them living there is new, appears to be cold. gaurd, barracks, prison or maybe he is kept out not them kept in. repetition of white makes you think back to the imagery of the previous stanza.

stanza four;
two lines, not the usual eight, for empahsis, this sums up the peopm's meaning.

stanza five;
clear panes, should see clearly but he can't.
crushed ice white(link to stanza two) cant see through crushed galss.
single rose, love loved it there, red means lust, wants to be there. use of 'c''t''s' sharp cutting sounds, pain.

stanza six;
juxtaposition to the above stanza, contasting places, contasting treatment of races. general mood-sarcastic/bitter. have to eat rabbut, can afford nicer meat. dirty manners, imagery, supposed to sum up a black man, at leat in a white person's eyes.
't's in the bone' its their nature/shows that they are primitive/sub human.

stanza seven;
i back from the glass. backs away/no other choice.
boy again. slave term/back to some kind of animal.
mea O, shows a moan or a groan of naute/not right but nothing he can do about it.
hands burn. heat imagery again.
shiver down(break) the glass, the galss makes him see unclearly, without it he sees clearly. you see clearer with no glass than with galss there.
nothing's changed. reptition. emphasis the point.

general background to south africa;
1966-declared white only (dIstrict sIX)
1982-buldozed-no trace of the old district six left.
atempted to revitalise the area-but it couldn't work (the community was destroyed)
1990-mandella released
199-free elections.

i really hope this helps.

i would love some rep for this.

nebby

Thank you so much! :smile: Thank you thank you thankyou!!
How do i give rep?!
Reply 14
BookWormShanti
that much? :eek3: I'm so happy I could cry!

English language is 40%.

Literature is 30%

Damn, :frown: I wish mine was like an A-A*, its only a Damn B:frown:
Reply 15
EffKayy
English language is 40%.

Literature is 30%

Damn, :frown: I wish mine was like an A-A*, its only a Damn B:frown:

I wish it was the other way round - my lit cw is much better than my lang :frown: But I guess it isn't that importat!

Latest