The Student Room Group

Post-anaesthesia recovery

Not really expecting many replies on here- but could do with some input possibly from older medical students or qualified/current student nurses or ODP's!

Am making a list of things to read up on and skills to learn before placement in 4weeks, I'm spending 6 weeks with theatre recovery- I've had a read of this: http://www.aagbi.org/publications/guidelines/docs/postanaes02.pdf

which also discusses core skills of the staff so i'm doing a bit of a brush up on fluid management, ivi's and pain relief, however can anyone think of any skills or knowledge needed prior to this placement? I've done daycase post-op care before in my 1st year, and managed 3 patients towards the end - however would like to look at patients who've not had a spinal or local and the effects surgery has on them more indepth.

any tips for expectations, also can you think of any visits I can do with these 6 weeks? I'm going to ask to see 1-2 surgeries that aren't orthopaedic (however i'm not desperate lol) and possibly ask to spend the day with the paediatric team, and maybe on SHDU?

Edit: just want to add, would it be worthwhile to brush up on BSL too? Its been a while since training, however would it be a bit pointless?
There was actually an article on post-anaesthisia in the nursing standard a few weeks ago i don't know if you can get it online...but have a looK :smile:
Reply 2
musicmad123
There was actually an article on post-anaesthisia in the nursing standard a few weeks ago i don't know if you can get it online...but have a looK :smile:

ive looked in all my recent nursing standards since september, AND online archive and have only found one from 2004- which is a bit out of date :confused:
Oh that's werid.. I'm sure that's what it was.. my mistake hope you find something useful
Reply 4
Subcutaneous
Not really expecting many replies on here- but could do with some input possibly from older medical students or qualified/current student nurses or ODP's!

Am making a list of things to read up on and skills to learn before placement in 4weeks, I'm spending 6 weeks with theatre recovery- I've had a read of this: http://www.aagbi.org/publications/guidelines/docs/postanaes02.pdf

which also discusses core skills of the staff so i'm doing a bit of a brush up on fluid management, ivi's and pain relief, however can anyone think of any skills or knowledge needed prior to this placement? I've done daycase post-op care before in my 1st year, and managed 3 patients towards the end - however would like to look at patients who've not had a spinal or local and the effects surgery has on them more indepth.

any tips for expectations, also can you think of any visits I can do with these 6 weeks? I'm going to ask to see 1-2 surgeries that aren't orthopaedic (however i'm not desperate lol) and possibly ask to spend the day with the paediatric team, and maybe on SHDU?

Edit: just want to add, would it be worthwhile to brush up on BSL too? Its been a while since training, however would it be a bit pointless?

You could read up on:

Different airways and their removal (LMA, cuffed/uncuffed ETT) how you assess their positioning etc.

What a general anaesthetic does, know the different types (TIVA, vapour only, neuromuscular blockade-which types of airways need what)

Postoperative monitoring devices and specifically what to look for (myocardial irritability/depression post vapours like isoflurane etc)

Stages of anaesthetic emergence

Common postoperative complications (pain, nausea, primitive reflexes), how they are managed and when to call the anaesthetist

Fluids will always be useful in a surgical environment!
Reply 5
musicmad123
Oh that's werid.. I'm sure that's what it was.. my mistake hope you find something useful

I thought I remembered reading it aswel! lol

Just looked through my nursing standards and there is one about Cataract surgery before,during and after! So maybe it was that? (vol 24. No 14!)
Reply 6
Holamigo
I thought I remembered reading it aswel! lol

Just looked through my nursing standards and there is one about Cataract surgery before,during and after! So maybe it was that? (vol 24. No 14!)

yeahh i'll pass on reading that! Very rarely read the nursing standard anyway, going majorly downhill..
Reply 7
Subcutaneous
yeahh i'll pass on reading that! Very rarely read the nursing standard anyway, going majorly downhill..

I know - I actually find myself getting bored of reading them now and can't keep up with them! so might stop getting it but thought they might be useful when I start my course.
Do you not find them useful at all for uni work- assignments etc..?
Reply 8
Holamigo
I know - I actually find myself getting bored of reading them now and can't keep up with them! so might stop getting it but thought they might be useful when I start my course.
Do you not find them useful at all for uni work- assignments etc..?

no it's not a reliable academic journal, can be good to read to keep up with political news, and possibly review of clinical skills, and maybe portfolio reflections- but academically, it wouldn't be recognised as an appropiate reference. There's a hierarchy of academic journals etc, and the nursing standard & times are right at the bottom!
Reply 9
Subcutaneous
no it's not a reliable academic journal, can be good to read to keep up with political news, and possibly review of clinical skills, and maybe portfolio reflections- but academically, it wouldn't be recognised as an appropiate reference. There's a hierarchy of academic journals etc, and the nursing standard & times are right at the bottom!

Great. lol

What journals are near the top?
Holamigo
Great. lol

What journals are near the top?

advanced journal of nursing, clinical journal of nursing..international journal of nursing..umm, british journal fo nursing. Theres no point getting subscriptions to these, they're not as magaziney as the other two and your uni will have them on databases etc

Latest