The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSt in English

Hello all you all

I'll be studying at Oxford this fall for a MSt in English, 1900-present option. As I'm not here to compare urine samples, I'd like to know if anyone can educate me on what to expect. I've got these reading lists of mammoth proportions...like 5 books / week. Obviously those lists are probably just for show, and I've been trying to read as much of the lists as I can - within reason, of course; I'd like to have something resembling a summer break. For those who've survived the gauntlet, what's actually expected?

I've heard about Oxford's tutorial system but vaguely so I don't understand its actual logistics. Naturally I'd like to hear from someone on that front, too. Same style as it is for undergraduates? And, more generally, what are the differences between graduate and undergraduate educations?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Hi! I'm coming up for the Medieval English MSt--so our paths may cross one day in the English faculty! Sorry I can't help with your questions...did my undergrad in Scotland....but nice to hear from another englishy person :-)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
They very well could...then again they probably won't. :smile: The faculty's quite large from what I understand. Never been to Oxford, but the decentralization probably doesn't help matters - nor does the fact that I'm staying at Hugh's. That's like so far north it's in Cambridge.

Maybe I'll see you in line at the salad bar. Yes, I'll be the one wearing the t-shirt that reads, 'http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t135870.html.' Quite identifiable.

Latest

Trending

Trending